Ramblings & Replies

I grew up on that stuff too, XY.....but mostly hard metal like Sabbath and Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.....when punk came around in the late 70's it just seemed like a natural progression. Same heavy sound, just [much] faster! I still liked Metal in the 80's [and still do] but punk sure had a lot of energy.

I didn't make that transition for some reason. I went soft in the early 80s but was later resurrected by the like of Guns n Roses, Metallica, Alice in Chains, etc.

Forget who they were touring with ... probably because their set was so awesome.

Reminds me of going to a much anticipated Foghat concert. The lead act was someone I had never heard of, Robin Trower. Foghat seemed like monkeys banging on guitars after seeing Trower.

Sorry, back to punk.

post-345-0-36525100-1379462221_thumb.jpg

I just found out these guys are playing at a TINY club (200 person capacity) here in Seattle a week from Friday night. 

I was stunned.... they are just behind Porcupine Tree and Marillion on my list of favorite bands this year, and I think this might be the first time they've ever played North America. 

ANATHEMA was formed in Liverpool in 1990 as Pagan Angel as a death/doom metal band, they then changed the name and slowly morphed into a gothic metal band. By 2001, they'd completed the move from doom metal to prog rock, heavily influenced by Stephen Wilson of Porcupine Tree/No Man/Blackfield/Bass Communion/Stephen Wilson Band (yes, he actually writes/records as a member of 5 bands). Wilson produced their breakthrough We're Here Because We're Here in 2010.

So many Clash fans here!!!... Its funny, I was talking to a twenty year old kid the other evening (something I don't usually do unless they're LB's)... Anyhow, he was a trucullent little fucker & at one point in the conversation I remember him saying, "Oh, and I suppose you're one of these baldie fossiles who still thinks the Clash is the coolest thing on the plant"!.. Little shit, just lucky for him that he was doing a mauy thai course otherwise he'd have got a real telling off!

Saw the Clash a few times, but the best was easily the imfamous Rainbow gig in 1978, just a shame that the crowd started ripping all the seats up!..

Loved the Clash & the whole Sandinista's thing... For anyone who's that interested, try downloading 'The Future's Unwritten', Juliuan Temple's documentary about Joe Strummer, it's brilliant!

@Jeffs... Yeah, but at least Charlie Harper hasn't changed into a complete wanker like Jagger has!.. He was my punk role model as a kid!

@Jim Slim... Spent three nights sitting on top of a mate of mine's, wodden shack, newsagent's during the Brixton riots, begging people not to smash the place to bits... An no one did, as luckily they could see that we were their own, so it was pretty civilised as far as riots go... But fuck it was scary, brother Jim, really fukin' scary!.. One of my favorite tunes, by the way!

I've posted this before... But who cares, it's worth another go... Cause I love it!

http://youtu.be/oYVDqL_8HbY?t=1m52s

A bit off-topic, but have any of you Brits or Euro's ever seen a band called Pendulum?  Or one of their DJ sets? AMAZING Drum 'n' Bass band, formed in Australia but now based out of the U.K.  

I had a vague notion they had gone on to big things but I didn't know they were so successful. That makes me vicariously happy. Which is kind of weird given that I won't be buying concert tickets or albums of theirs anytime soon. 

Pendulum from the town that brought the world INXS         :hi:      along with......

Rolf Harris....            :blush:

Oh dear I'm too old again! I grew up on Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, etc. I though punk rock was total garbage when it came along. It's tough being old.  :biggrin:     

I must be even older than you! :( The bands of my youth were the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. I couldn't understand the lyrics of the punk bands. Just sounded like a lot of discordant noise to me. I must have been an old fogey at 27!

I was a steward at the Rock Against Racism/ Anti Nazi League Carnival in East London in 1978 which was headlined by the Clash.

We had guarded the stage all night to prevent it being attacked by the fascists, and I was with the stewards in front of the stage during the gig. We had to wear plastic bin bags as the first few rows of punks were spitting in the air towards the stage and it was coming down on us like rain! When I hear Clash lyrics now I can understand why people liked them.

The Clash at RAR/ANL Carnival, Victoria Park, April 1978: 

post-1579-0-14683100-1379493755_thumb.jp

post-1579-0-65851700-1379493769_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

I love The Clash. I don't play them these days but somewhere I have a bootleg cassette of one of their gigs. (Yes, cassette, I bought it before anyone had ever heard of a CD.)

"Should I stay or should I go" is one of those songs that still gets me doing a little head-bob in the car when it comes on the radio. I haven't heard it in a long time but now I have tempted fate by writing this, I am sure it will pop up soon.

For the BMs in the UK who saw them play, good luck to you, I wish I had been there.

Reminds me of going to a much anticipated Foghat concert. The lead act was someone I had never heard of, Robin Trower. Foghat seemed like monkeys banging on guitars after seeing Trower.

One of my favorite rock guitarists of all time!  Made his name with Procol Harem then went solo.....many of us old-timers surely had the album "Bridge of Sighs" in their LP collection, a must-have for rock fans back in the day.

Here he is playing in front of an intimate little crowd :biggrin:

Thanks XY, I hadn't heard that name in probably 30 years!

post-107-0-10017100-1379509022_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is for you Irish guys.....could also be found comical by Aussie's

http://i.imgur.com/lzxLFzD.jpg

[click anywhere on the image]

He is not wrong.  On a different note I presume all the guys in Britain and Ireland are enjoying this extended Indian summer.  Was 20 degrees today, amazing for July, let alone early October.  Keeps the good buzz mood going for the upcoming trip to Los.

He is not wrong.  On a different note I presume all the guys in Britain and Ireland are enjoying this extended Indian summer.  Was 20 degrees today, amazing for July, let alone early October.  Keeps the good buzz mood going for the upcoming trip to Los.

yes mate I from uk still t-shirt at the moment , cold winds moving in at weekend though , have friend

in patts now into his third week , barrage of text every day moaning not seen any sun yet raining

every night roads like rivers , poor lad , with weather like that that means only one thing to do much

more indoor sports , lucky boy .

:character00292:

yeah, I remember 10 or 11 years ago, walking into RCA for the very first time........ a dozen different nightclubs, literally a thousand girls or more, and most of them pretty damn cute. Back home I was just another schmuck who would be too old to walk into nightclubs like those, but in BKK it was all good, and being stared at and hit on by girls half my age was the norm. 

I'm not putting this in Name that Shot, as I imagine it's fairly well known, the Pattaya pissoir this shot was taken in. I merely put it here because 1) it has always amused me, this sign (and I finally got around to snapping a shot of it) and 2) I actually had the opportunity to use this word in my Thai language class the other day (the word does indeed translate as dilapidated).

post-442-0-89796600-1381429623_thumb.jpg

In any event, this toilet has been dilapidated (not merely broken) for more than a year now. ... In fact it wouldn't surprise me if someone has posted it before. If it's a repeat, my apologies to the audience at large.

One of my favorite rock guitarists of all time!  Made his name with Procol Harem then went solo.....many of us old-timers surely had the album 

Robin Trower..

hes still going strong.. see him live two years ago at Shepherds Bush Empire. Even the singer is still the same guy from memory

Getting on a bit but can still play the full set of his best songs

One of the best live Bands now believe it not is Europe... there Album bag of bones is the best rock album Album this century(imo)

my ears were whistling for a week.. yeh they were a but cheesy in the 70s but now a fully blown heavy rock band and live they are just fantastic

Not a photographic memory Brother Slim, actually worse than that. It is so clear in my mind because when you get the old Pattaya guts hitting you out of the blue, you know it is a three minute warning - get to the shitter, AND QUICK!!!!!

One innocent mid afternoon stroll along Soi Buckaroo this happened, and I knew this was the nearest available shitter - the other two cubicles in the complex were occupied, so when needs must anything will suffice, as you will attest to yourself.

Thankfully there is a bum gun, so I didn't need to resort to using my stash of 20 baht notes as somebody once did at Morlam!! :20:  :acute:

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last night at Friendship Supermarket there were two ladies around 30 years old, in front of me that looked and sounded like they were perhaps from one of the Stan countries formerly in the Soviet Union.

Anyway they had a shopping basket filled all types of chocolate, maybe 100 pieces.....and three jars of Vaseline.

Wierdest shopping basket I've seen (in a mainstream store).

• Upvote 1