Ramblings & Replies

Yeah it is a real burden to be suffering such freezing temperatures. They would survive 30 seconds in my neck of the woods this morning.  

23 degrees is actually a hot summer's day on the coast where I  come from.  I am sure more than a few back home would gladly settle on half of that temperature in early December.

I just read Peter O'Toole dies aged 81

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1215/493044-peter-otoole-/

His agent Steve Kenis confirmed the star's death, saying he died yesterday at the Wellington hospital in London.

An eight-time Academy Award nominee who never won Hollywood's top acting honour, Mr O'Toole shot to screen stardom 50 years ago in the title role of Lawrence Of Arabia, which earned seven Oscars, including best picture and director for David Lean.

RIP.

He sure had tough competition for the Oscar that year.

Gregory Peck – To Kill a Mockingbird
        Burt Lancaster – Birdman of Alcatraz
        Jack Lemmon – Days of Wine and Roses
        Marcello Mastroianni – Divorce, Italian Style
        Peter O'Toole – Lawrence of Arabia

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yep, this is this ridiculous "Neck Nominate" craze sweeping through the social media sites at the minute. A young fellow in Ireland died two weeks ago because of it. I think the idea is you nominate somebody on Facebook to neck a drink (usually a pint of vodka or something ridiculous like that) in one go, and then perform a dare. Each person has 24 hours after being nominated to perform the task live on facebook.

It's going to get real messy, this is just the beginning.

I do have Facebook and suffice to say none of my contacts [you can hardly call them ''friends''- but many are family] are stupid enough to try this shit.  I agree with Duke though, who's to say these people aren't just drinking down water?

Obviously this kid drank the real thing and got alcohol poisoning, I feel bad for his Mum.

• 2 weeks later...

The expat tourist police in Phuket are on strike.

The Patong Police Superintendent was ousted at the insistence of the tuk tuk drivers and the tourist police are striking out of solidarity.

Never heard of volunteers striking before.

Tuk Tuk drivers seem to have big power in Phuket while baht bus drivers in Pattaya are impotent.

• 3 weeks later...

Bin Laden’s Son-in-Law Convicted in Terrorism Conspiracy

Sulaiman Abu Ghaith, the most senior adviser to Osama bin Laden to be tried in a civilian United States court since the Sept. 11 attacks, was convicted on Wednesday of conspiring to kill Americans and providing material support to terrorists. Mr. Abu Ghaith, a 48-year-old Kuwaiti-born cleric known for his fiery oratory, had recorded impassioned speeches for Bin Laden after Sept. 11, in which he praised the attacks and promised that future attacks would be carried out. The defendant unexpectedly took the witness stand last week, offering a vivid account of being summoned by Bin Laden on the night of the attacks to meet with him in his cave in the Afghan mountains.