Ramblings & Replies

• 1 month later...

A rather long article from the New York Times, Sex On Campus, She Can Play That Game Too:

Women said universally that hookups could not exist without alcohol, because they were for the most part too uncomfortable to pair off with men they did not know well without being drunk.

One girl, explaining why her encounters freshman and sophomore year often ended with fellatio, said that usually by the time she got back to a guy’s room, she was starting to sober up and didn’t want to be there anymore, and giving the guy oral sex was an easy way to wrap things up and leave. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/fashion/sex-on-campus-she-can-play-that-game-too.html

• 1 month later...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/668163-thai-womens-obsession-with-white-skin-could-cause-health-problems-study-says/

I once saw a ladyboy spend 10K baht on "whitening cream".......when I told her "you know that stuff doesn't work, right?  she told me with a completely straight face that it was going to make her skin whiter; you can't convince them otherwise and it's the same in the Philippines, the ads for this crap are all over the T.V.

• Upvote 1

Listened to The Clash- London Calling , the whole album. They don't make em like this anymore. A masterpiece!

The Greatest Rock n Roll Album Ever. Bar none. It sounds as good today as it did 34 years ago.  Really, The Clash were unbelievable then and seamlessly blended punk, reggae, rockabilly and ska into 4 sides of stunning vinyl. Never been matched. Mind you, Sandinista was not half bad either....it was their very own Heaven's Gate.

• Upvote 1

The Greatest Rock n Roll Album Ever. Bar none. It sounds as good today as it did 34 years ago.  Really, The Clash were unbelievable then and seamlessly blended punk, reggae, rockabilly and ska into 4 sides of stunning vinyl. Never been matched. Mind you, Sandinista was not half bad either....it was their very own Heaven's Gate.

Couldn't agree with you more. I keep coming back to it and is still blown away how fantastic it really is.

• Upvote 1

I saw 'em just once; Cape Cod 1981.  After that they became too big and seeing bands in stadiums is no fun.

http://roccosphototavern.photoshelter.com/image/I0000LYmwbXZpAGM

IMO the first album was their best.

Agreed on small venues.  

I saw them in 1981 too, look like Rolling Stone got it wrong cause they said the NYC dates were the only ones for The Clash.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/flashback-the-clash-take-new-york-in-1981-20130314

Yeah, I really used to like seeing bands in clubs in the Boston area back in the early 80's and into the 90's......no way you can have a better concert experience than being 10 feet away from the band!  Saw the UK Subs and Stiff Little Fingers like that, D.O.A, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Dickies, etc....too mutt fun.

The Clash had JUST become big in 1980 and '81, when Strummer got his mohawk and they did London Calling and had Train in Vain on the radio a lot.   After that tour that hit the Cape Cod coliseum they started playing stadiums, especially after the success of 'Rock The Casbah' and 'Should I stay or should I go'.

I only saw them once too, in a big arena, i cant remember the year but Strummer had a  mohawk all dressed in white. I think it was 1981 or 1984. They opened up with London Calling of course.

Edit: I had to check, it was 1984. I remember i  missed Career opportunities and Should i stay or should i go,  but when they launched into Janie Jones........ :party0030:

Some great bands there, JD. Check  this out, some hilarious pics:  http://dangerousminds.net/comments/black_flag_t_shirts_on_every_goddamned_celebrity_ever 

http://blackflagshirtsoneverycelebrity.tumblr.com

Setlist:

13. (Junior Murvin cover)
  18. (The Crickets cover)
  22. (Vince Taylor cover)

post-342-0-68193100-1379356578_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I really used to like seeing bands in clubs in the Boston area back in the early 80's and into the 90's......no way you can have a better concert experience than being 10 feet away from the band!  Saw the UK Subs and Stiff Little Fingers like that, D.O.A, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Dickies, etc....too mutt fun.

The Clash had JUST become big in 1980 and '81, when Strummer got his mohawk and they did London Calling and had Train in Vain on the radio a lot.   After that tour that hit the Cape Cod coliseum they started playing stadiums, especially after the success of 'Rock The Casbah' and 'Should I stay or should I go'.

some great bands there jaidee , you cant beat a live band in a small club , was just a kid when  

I saw uk subs , would you belive they are still gigging , Charlie harper must be as old as the stones .

• Upvote 1

Oh dear I'm too old again! I grew up on Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, etc. I though punk rock was total garbage when it came along.

I grew up on that stuff too, XY.....but mostly hard metal like Sabbath and Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.....when punk came around in the late 70's it just seemed like a natural progression. Same heavy sound, just [much] faster! I still liked Metal in the 80's [and still do] but punk sure had a lot of energy.

A bit off-topic, but have any of you Brits or Euro's ever seen a band called Pendulum?  Or one of their DJ sets? AMAZING Drum 'n' Bass band, formed in Australia but now based out of the U.K.  Saw 'em a few times when they toured the states and once in Amsterdam in 2007; after literally hundreds of concerts in my life I still have never seen anyone get a crowd worked up like they do.  

Cover of the Prodigy song Voodoo People  here, check out the crowd around the 2 minute mark.

A bit off-topic, but have any of you Brits or Euro's ever seen a band called Pendulum?  Or one of their DJ sets? ...

A fellow Yank, but I caught them in 2008 and yes they do put on a helluva show. Forget who they were touring with ... probably because their set was so awesome.

''The 1% rule refers to forums, in which everyone must be a content creator.''

Funny story; I went to the study cited in the Wikipedia article, and it took me to a site where I had to register to post/see content; so I said "fuck it." Guess I'm back to being a a 99 percenter, 555. 8P