Ramblings & Replies

#Ken, i know, football isn't the north americans or the aussies sport. I respect that.

I also use to think football/soccer was boring. But during one of my early long trips to Pattaya I hooked up with a GG that was a big Liverpool fan. It was the year they kicked butt in the Champions League. And I was assimilated (much to my surprise). I still don't care much for the US pro league but do keep up somewhat with the EPL even when at home. We usually get a couple of live EPL and Champions League games a week in the US. Surprisingly we got every game of Euro 2012 on TV. There is still hope for Ken, or not. :biggrin:

Well that's it, just finished up work today. ...

Cheers BB. That's tomorrow for me; 72 hours from now, if all goes well, Buddha/karma willing :innocent0001:, I should be in the taxi about 15-20 minutes from The Dawin. Three weeks in Thailand, a month or so at home, then back to Thailand for Xmas and an open-ended long stay (never say never again). The adventures continues with a new chapter.

:sign0200:

See many of you gents soon. :drinks:

Edit: the downside is, too keyed up to sleep right away. I'm going to be dragging ass tomorrow. Shoulda been in bed an hour ago.

• Upvote 1

Bourdain's last show is next week... the only f@&!ing tv show I watch regularly besides Bill Maher & Boardwalk Empire! What am I supposed to do now? Go out & interact with actual people? Listen, from what I've seen of a lot of people ....

(Apparently Bourdain is moving to CNN, with his production crew thank god, in what I guess is CNN's desperate attempt to rebrand itself before Faux News, with all of it's carnival barkers, loud noises & colored fireworks, grabs more eyeballs.)

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky boy Dukie, I spent it in hospital getting my HIV test done, all good as expected. See you in Sunnee later perhaps.

Why go to the hospital for it? Any of those small clinics can do it and give you the results in about 5 minutes. I go to the one on Soi 16 between the Soi 17 dogleg and Soi Yaba.

It was a case of keeping the missus sweet Lefty. The pharmacist in her work place told her it was safer to use a hospital as maybe the needles are not so clean in a clinic, thats his words( pharmacist) not mine.

There is a Missus Bumblebee now? Why am I always the last to know? :sad0116:

:party0011:

It is now illegal to sell cigarettes in Australia in anything other than plain packs covered in health warnings with the brand name only permitted in a plain font along the bottom of the pack. I, along with nearly the entire population, agree with the move if it stops kids from taking up smoking.

But what wasn't expected are the complaints from smokers that the cigarettes don't taste the same.

The tobacco companies have vowed to fight this law all the way to the International Court in the Hague but it wouldn't surprise me if they have fiddled with the flavour off their product in order to win the support of the smokers. IMO the government didn't go far enough, they should have classified nicotine as a controlled substance & taken over the distribution of cigarettes, cigars, etc.

It is after all, the only product on the market that if used as intended, will kill the user. Imagine trying to get a product like that licensed to sell today. Not a chance in hell.

post-83-0-98887000-1354608617_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Couldn't happen here, tobacco lobby would throw enough money at the legislators to make sure it didn't.

In fact, if tobacco were up for discussion today as it was in the 60's and 70's I suspect the tobacco lobby would be able to silence the Surgeon General and put the kibosh on all the negative policy that has been implemented.

In the USA the laws and government are for sale to the highest bidder nowadays.

In the USA the laws and government are for sale to the highest bidder nowadays.

It makes me wonder what it will take to change that. And from an outsiders perspective, it seems money has held sway over good governance for a long time.

On a related note, back in the 90's Bill Clinton had the management of the Big 3 car companies in his office where he told them he wanted legislation to mandate how much fuel a car should use. He wanted to force them into making fuel efficient vehicles, a prospect that filled them horror.

The car companies promptly shelled out a fortune on lobbyists to sway members of Congress & the Senate to reject such legislation. The money spent on fighting good policy would have gone a long way towards developing better engines. Instead they kept right on building light trucks & SUV's while the Japanese, Koreans & Germans made the breakthroughs in engine design.

Imagine the reversal in fortunes of those same Big 3 car manufacturers if they had the foresight to be market leaders & not now playing catch-up with Toyota, Hyundai & BMW.

Reminds me of the old adage - be careful what you wish for.