Topics and what motivates replies

I am interested in what topics create the most interest amongst mongers.

There seems to be no pattern. It could be how to connect to wifi or who was the best LB in bed. Or which airline served the best food. No logic at all.

I have a feeling that the number of replies and likes etc. are generated by the popularity of who made the posting in the first place. Whether that person is a long standing member or has a commercial interest in Pattaya.

Due to their not being disclosure of who clicks on the likes etc. there is no way of telling.

It seems as if what to me is an interesting topic, is started by a new member or one who posts infrequently, there are few replies or likes.

Just an observation!.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Woodie said:

There seems to be no pattern

I often been surprised that some really great topics don't generate many replies while topics that I would guess would go nowhere gets mega replies.

In depth replies are a sign that someone is really interested.  For instance, one of Lucas' videos that Duke posted about searching for condos to rent/buy has been my obsession for months so it was easy to reply especially given that I had looked at the condo in question.

But sometimes, even if one is interested in a topic it's difficult to compose a coherent response.  Some of it is luck.  If I'm on the laptop it's much easier for me to post a thoughtful reply.  There are certain weeks when I'm busy so not easy post.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

I like to hear about people's personal histories... careers, families, travels, home countries. It's interesting, and I'm not even too bothered if it's made up and a thin tissue of lies (!) Never let the facts get in the way of a funny story. 55

no no Jimmy. that sort of thing should never be done.:yes:

• Haha 2

According the wizards at Facebook, Twitter, and all, we all have different likes that will send each of us down the rabbit hole of likes, posts, comments, and replies. But I would suspect the temporarily suspended (of necessity) "Trip Reports" section has historically been the most popular.  Well, it was always the most interesting to me, unless the reports became novels.  I guess I was always more of a "Flowers of Algenon" reader as opposed to "War and Peace".

• Like 2

On the other more populated board I found there are writers and there are writers or penmen who can could make taking a dump, for instance, an interesting read. I enjoy a well written report that places you in the writer's stead, as it were, rather than a boring recitation of "arrived by taxi, checked in and phones X and Y. Met up @ Z bar, "pulled" a hot bird and done her in the room."

I suppose this feature demonstrates the broad spectrum of deviates making use of the board from simple former toilet lurkers to the more educated ones. If this shows me guilty of a form of snobbery then I bow to your judgment.

• Like 4

Good point Woodie and a question I have often touched on with PD over the years.  Actually a thread I thought might have gathered legs recently is the Tales of Asia one,  as I presumed all the guys here have a least one funny tale to tell of their times in the region.  But so far zilch... no pressure gents :)  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Woodie said:

I have a feeling that the number of replies and likes etc. are generated by the popularity of who made the posting in the first place. Whether that person is a long standing member or has a commercial interest in Pattaya.

I hope thats not the case. Cliques belongs to another board.

Of course we have a few bar owners posting here promoting their bars, which is nice. I wish Jimbo could post here but its not worth the trouble, I guess. Plus on another board hes got a few fanboys so far up his ass buying virtual drinks, I doubt he'd get here, but I really wish he could post here. I like him and his bar.

11 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

I like to hear about people's personal histories... careers, families, travels, home countries.

I agree.

2 hours ago, bubba said:

I found there are writers and there are writers or penmen

We used to have a great writer here. Ken G, aussie. Haven't heard from in a long time though.

• Like 1

One of the issues with posting on the board in my opinion is that you can see the likes but not who liked a post. There is a good and bad aspect to that - the good aspect is that board members don't start rewarding each other likes, which discourages cliques forming (agree that they are a bad thing); the unfortunate part is that you don't really know if a post has really hit home. You know a post has got likes, but it's a bit vague and meaningless (IMO) when you don't know who it is. 

It takes away the confidence to post what you really want (maybe that's just me). I reiterate - there's a good reason for anonymous likes but I think it can be an impediment to a real sense of community developing on this forum. Perhaps you can't have one without the other... that sense of community without the cliques emerging.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

One of the issues with posting on the board in my opinion is that you can see the likes but not who liked a post. There is a good and bad aspect to that - the good aspect is that board members don't start rewarding each other likes, which discourages cliques forming (agree that they are a bad thing); the unfortunate part is that you don't really know if a post has really hit home.

You sum up the pros and cons quite nicely Jimmy.   :biggrin:

We felt that a public display of Likes would add a hostile feel to the board if guys publicly Like a hostile attack post and would encourage cliques.  When LBR first started, our members came from 3 existing forums.   Many guys from two of the forums knew each other well for years and we were concerned that there would be an us vs them mentality between the guys from those two forums and the third so thought the absence of Public Likes (called Reputation back then) would help build a sense of community.  One of our main objectives is to keep LBR as friendly as possible given that many forums tend to get nasty with long standing feuds between members.  A good example of this nastiness is the Thai Visa forum whose posters tend to be grumpy expats who delight in snarky comments.  Quite interesting to read the snarky comments but don't want to be on the receiving end of them so don't post there much.  It is an excellent source of info about Thailand though.

I admit on a forum on which I sometimes post that has nothing to do with Southeast Asia or mongering it is nice to see who liked my post.   But I guess we felt that if someone really likes a post they always have the option of responding to it.  So lots of pros and we chose the route that we thought would result in a friendlier forum. 

• Like 3
On 9/23/2020 at 3:08 AM, bumblebee said:

Actually a thread I thought might have gathered legs recently is the Tales of Asia one,  as I presumed all the guys here have a least one funny tale to tell of their times in the region.  But so far zilch... no pressure gents :)  

Three posts, one by Randi, one by Jimmy, and one by JSG are being moved to the Tales of Asia thread.

http://www.ladyboyreview.com/index.php?/topic/9212-tales-of-asia-amusing-anecdotes-of-our-travels/

• Like 1