Ramblings & Replies

In Firefox, you go to the top left and click on Firefox.

Then click Preferences

Then click Advanced.

The click on General.

Then unclick the spell check box.

Thanx PD :drinks:

The spellchecker is on everyone I have (I think) and its doing my head in,  when I type in something like "colour" for example its saying it is wrong :biggrin:

Good luck Jaidee.. i like Florida actually ..a long time back mind you.

the first time i went there some guy told me that there were no "real" Americans in Florida... just old Jews and Latinos .you have to travel to Virginia to find real Americans ( i suppose thats where he hailed from)

Guest JustSumGai

MOSTLY Fla. is outta staters. Recent article in NYT had a real good interactive graph on migrations from state to state. Louisianna has something close to 90% that were born there.  My guess is Fla is under 50%. If you stick to the west coast it's much less touristy. I did find Melbourne nice tho and found some WWII veterans housing area outside town that had small and I'm sure more affordable houses.

I'm gonna research the very tip, warm as possible. I figure there must be backwater towns there that might be the local equivalent of Issan.

MOSTLY Fla. is outta staters. Recent article in NYT had a real good interactive graph on migrations from state to state. Louisianna has something close to 90% that were born there.  My guess is Fla is under 50%. If you stick to the west coast it's much less touristy. I did find Melbourne nice tho and found some WWII veterans housing area outside town that had small and I'm sure more affordable houses.

I'm gonna research the very tip, warm as possible. I figure there must be backwater towns there that might be the local equivalent of Issan.

I am looking at several areas, but so far favoring the Venice to Naples corridor below Tampa Bay, as well as the St. Augustine area; the climate suits me best there.  I like low 60's and not high 80's.  Anyway, I will be spending Nov and Dec down there and scoping out the various areas, I seem to be states-bound for good now and I'll be damned if I am going to put up with northeast winters.

Took this photo myself, about 50 miles from the tallest mountain in the world.

Too bad it was such a cloudy day......I was probably up over 10K feet myself.

I miss those bike trips, but my back juct can't do it anymore.

Oh, and even though not a lot of life can thrive in those high elevations, the green death can!

post-107-0-95496100-1409607839_thumb.jpg

post-107-0-98272800-1409607978_thumb.jpg

Don't laugh, TC.....I am actually considering moving to that redneck hellhole!

At least it's warm.....

Ugh... there are better reasons to move somewhere than the fact they have no state taxes.

Plenty of heat humidity & hurricanes ( & very high insurance costs because of that) & truly lousy state government/services because of the low taxes. I spent 9 months there (So FL) thinking it would be great & left because of the weather & little culture.  I think places like Tuscon or parts of New Mexico are more interesting for warm low cost locations unless nearby family or being near the oceans are paramount. YMMV tho....

I think places like Tuscon or parts of New Mexico are more interesting for warm low cost locations unless nearby family or being near the oceans are paramount.

Exactly, Hefe.  I'd love to live in 'Zona or N.M.,  but I'd rather be a drive away from the northeast than a flight every time I wanna come back to my home area.

No particular love for Florida, in fact I think a lot of it is shit, I just need to be as close to family as possible while living in a warm place. Arizona is too far, and Thailand is REALLY too far.

Note the Thai figure 4.1%

Millions of Americans Living in Extreme Poverty

http://www.cryptogon.com/?p=44853

September 2nd, 2014

Via: Brookings Institution: http://www.brookings.edu/research/papers/2014/08/poverty-america-global-context-chandy-smith

In the United States, the official poverty rate for 2012 stood at 15 percent based on the national poverty line which is equivalent to around $16 per person per day. Of the 46.5 million Americans living in poverty, 20.4 million live under half the poverty line. This begs the question of just how poor America’s poorest people are.

Using an alternative dataset from the one employed for the official U.S. poverty measure, Shaefer and Edin show that millions of Americans live on less than $2 a day—a threshold commonly used to measure poverty in the developing world. Depending on the exact definitions used, they find that up to 5 percent of American households with children are shown to fall under this parsimonious poverty line.

These numbers are intended to shock—and they succeed. The United States is known for having higher inequality and a less generous social safety net than many affluent countries in Europe, but the acute deprivations that flow from this are less understood. A crude comparison of Shaefer and Edin’s estimates with the World Bank’s official $2 a day poverty estimates for developing economies would place the United States level with or behind a large set of countries, including Russia (0.1 percent), the West Bank and Gaza (0.3 percent), Jordan (1.6 percent), Albania (1.7 percent), urban Argentina (1.9 percent), urban China (3.5 percent), and *Thailand * (4.1 percent). Many of these countries are recipients of American foreign aid. However, methodologies for measuring poverty differ wildly both within and across countries, so such comparisons and their interpretation demand extreme care.

Related:

The U.S. Is Now a ‘Third World’ Country

http://www.blacklistednews.com/The_U.S._Is_Now_a_%E2%80%98Third_World%E2%80%99_Country/37636/0/38/38/Y/M.html

Are 12 Million Americans Living on Less Than $2 a Day?

http://blogs.ft.com/the-world/2014/08/are-12-million-americans-living-on-less-than-2-a-day/

Exactly, Hefe.  I'd love to live in 'Zona or N.M.,  but I'd rather be a drive away from the northeast than a flight every time I wanna come back to my home area.

No particular love for Florida, in fact I think a lot of it is shit, I just need to be as close to family as possible while living in a warm place. Arizona is too far, and Thailand is REALLY too far.

The Florida panhandle is an interesting place that you should check out especially since you seem to prefer the gulf side of the state. Also South Carolina is worth a look. Not too warm, not too cold. 

Don't give up on the South West so fast JaiDee...Only about 5 hours by air from Phoenix to Boston direct ...And where else in the world is there an airport named Sky Harbor......................

I truly like living in Arizona  and my old joints like it too....I just spent 5 days in SoCal and couldn't wait to get back to the desert...I nearly froze to death..........

Many very famous folks hang their hats here in Arizona...from Muhammad Ali to Danika Patrick to Phil Mickelson...from Gary Shandling to Alice Cooper to Geronimo............Well, Geronimo ain't with us no more, but he did call the desert his home...

Mostly transplants down here...And as one of those transplants once told me...No matter how hot is gets, you never have to shovel heat............

• Upvote 2

Just out of curiousity Kahuna, if you have ever visited Bisbee, Flagstaff or Green Valley what was your take on them for long term settling?  Costs, culture & cuisine are definitely factors for me as well as good nearby medical facilities, maybe the smaller cities are only worth vacations in?

Just out of curiousity Kahuna, if you have ever visited Bisbee, Flagstaff or Green Valley what was your take on them for long term settling?  Costs, culture & cuisine are definitely factors for me as well as good nearby medical facilities, maybe the smaller cities are only worth vacations in?

Kahuna is best to advise here but I can tell you Northern and Southern Arizona are very different. Northern Arizona (Flagstaff) is much higher elevation than the south and can get better damn cold during the winter. I have been there in the winter and you can get considerable snow coverage.