seven

Coronavirus

28 minutes ago, Quinn said:

We are hard bastards in Stockport :wink:, don't know her unfortunately but I wouldn't mind having a brew with the tough old bird , respect :good:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I feel the same... the Govts will take advantage .. , if they try to carry this lockdown for a year , as some suggest , there will be civil unrest on massive scale

I really can’t see this nonsense going for a year. That might be pushing the herd too hard. Cracks are already starting to show. 
Guess we’ll have to wait and see. 

1 hour ago, duke007 said:

We are hard bastards in Stockport :wink:, don't know her unfortunately but I wouldn't mind having a brew with the tough old bird , respect :good:

Huzzah for the granny and her marmalade samichez!  Props to the bin workers (garbage men/persons/entities/whatever) as we call them. 

9 hours ago, strocube said:

First of all, I do not BELIEVE anything.

Finally the truth. Well you do believe in posting a link to a very long article and then posting the whole damn thing.

On 3/29/2020 at 12:27 AM, seven said:

don't even want to to think about what India has coming.

One video, which has gone viral, showed a mob throwing stones at two female doctors wearing personal protective equipment in the central city of Indore.

The doctors had gone to a densely-populated area to check on a woman suspected of having Covid-19 when they came under attack.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52151141

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52147260

6 minutes ago, xyzzy said:

Finally the truth. Well you do believe in posting a link to a very long article and then posting the whole damn thing.

Should I just post the link then and not the entire article? Easier to do it that way, actually. 

3 minutes ago, strocube said:

Should I just post the link then and not the entire article? Easier to do it that way, actually. 

I personally usually post a link and then maybe the first paragraph if it's interesting enough. Sometimes just a link and headline. But up to you. Do we have a conspiracy theory thread here?

Thanks. Think I’ll go with just the link and a headline or a catchy quote from now on. 
Yes, rxpharm started a conspiracy thread. 

1 hour ago, strocube said:

Thanks. Think I’ll go with just the link and a headline or a catchy quote from now on. 
Yes, rxpharm started a conspiracy thread. 

strocube, you'll like this one: https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/coronavirus-signal-capitalism-200330092216678.html

Will coronavirus signal the end of capitalism?

We can only hope

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, seven said:

strocube, you'll like this one: https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/coronavirus-signal-capitalism-200330092216678.html

Will coronavirus signal the end of capitalism?

We can only hope

Thanks, man. Excellent piece.

“If the great plague of the 14th century triggered a post-feudal imagination, it is possible - and desirable - that this one triggers a post-capitalist imagination. And fast.”  Let’s hope so. The thing that worries me is that the very same nefarious pricks running the capitalist shitshow will be running the “post capitalist” shitshow. I am more of an anarchist in my heart of hearts. I am a bit ambivalent about communism. I think the right is correct in their critique of government and the left is correct in their critique of business and capitalism. This tends to leave one in a bit of an ambivalent position. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, strocube said:

I am more of an anarchist in my heart of hearts.

Same here. If we don't do away with the current system now, it will be hell to pay.

In the 14th century, once the mass death phase of the plague was over, that is exactly what the feudal elites tried to do: to reimpose their old privileges and traditions and economic logic - on a population that had just lived through the most traumatic event imaginable.

_____

If we follow the orthodox economic playbook now, just as after 2008, once the crisis is over, political elites will call for more austerity - healthcare cuts, wage cuts and tax rises for ordinary people to reduce government spending and erode the debt pile.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, seven said:

Same here. If we don't do away with the current system now, it will be hell to pay.

In the 14th century, once the mass death phase of the plague was over, that is exactly what the feudal elites tried to do: to reimpose their old privileges and traditions and economic logic - on a population that had just lived through the most traumatic event imaginable.

_____

If we follow the orthodox economic playbook now, just as after 2008, once the crisis is over, political elites will call for more austerity - healthcare cuts, wage cuts and tax rises for ordinary people to reduce government spending and erode the debt pile.

I totally agree, the current system is rotten to the core and needs to go, like yesterday. The thing is, there are groups of very powerful and psychopathic people lined up to make sure that they stay in positions of power. This does not bode well for the rest of us. 
It seems that things are up for grabs and we won’t know how this current situation will play out for a while yet. I sincerely hope we come out of the the other side of this thing with a far more equatable, humane, sustainable, and just system than the one that is currently in its death throes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, strocube said:

The thing is, there are groups of very powerful and psychopathic people lined up to make sure that they stay in positions of power. This does not bode well for the rest of us. 
It seems that things are up for grabs and we won’t know how this current situation will play out for a while yet.

Exactly. I'm not very hopeful though. The elite and rich have too much to lose, and will do anything to keep the masses down, lifelong IOUs seems to be what they'll feed the people.  And theres no one ready to challenge this and take the fight, instead we have celebrities full of themselves singing Imagine together. Some protest, huh.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, seven said:

One video, which has gone viral, showed a mob throwing stones at two female doctors wearing personal protective equipment in the central city of Indore.

The doctors had gone to a densely-populated area to check on a woman suspected of having Covid-19 when they came under attack.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52151141

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52147260

after seeing this , let india die pull all good health workers out . I am sorry guys if this is mean but if they act like this , the good health workers need to move on.

1 hour ago, seven said:

_____

I don't trust the Dems or the Reps, try something new all independents ! 

• Like 1

Watch this.. it may save your life or a ton of pain.

It's better than hoping for the Trump Administration making a ventilator available for you anyways.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

"Everybody wants to be the biggest. But no one focuses on being the nicest. James Garetson, Tiger King.   These are trying times. Let's work on being nice to each other. So when this pandemic is over, the fight for our survival, and those we love, will not have been done in vain.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RandiUno2 said:

"Everybody wants to be the biggest. But no one focuses on being the nicest. James Garetson, Tiger King.   These are trying times. Let's work on being nice to each other. So when this pandemic is over, the fight for our survival, and those we love, will not have been done in vain.

Well said Randi!     :sign0184::drinks:

Big Brother is watching!

Facebook is launching new tools that use anonymized location data collected from users to show whether people are adhering to social distancing measures designed to stop the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus. 

The company said on Monday that its Data for Good program is developing Disease Prevention Maps, which show how people are moving around regions. Facebook hopes this data can be used alongside other information that public health officials collect to help determine areas where COVID-19 outbreaks are likely to occur.

According to Facebook, the maps include: 

Co-location data: The probability that people in one area will come into contact with each other. 
Movement range trends: This data shows at a regional level whether people are staying home. In the San Francisco Bay Area, for instance, a higher proportion population is sheltering in place in part because tech jobs allow for remote work. 
A social connectedness index: This data reveals friendships across states to show the areas where people might need more support. 
Facebook says it won’t show patterns around the movements of any specific individuals, and won’t be used to identify individuals who aren’t adhering to the social distancing or shelter-in-place guidelines. 

“We think that Facebook and the wider tech industry can continue to find innovative ways to help respond to that crisis,” said a company spokesperson. “But we don’t think the help entails compromising privacy.”

The collection of location data is opt-in, meaning Facebook users will have to choose to share it, although the company has previously warned that it can pick up information about users’ movements through other features, like check-ins. 

Facebook also said that it won’t be looking into why people in particular areas are or are not following the guidelines. A spokesperson noted that instead, the company will explore trends across populations. For instance, some states have a larger population of people who have transient jobs, or would struggle to work from home.