Do You Like New Year's Eve

Pdoggg

Most of my New Year's Eves have been in Manhattan or Pattaya.

In Pattaya, traffic is a mess and not that easy to go from venue to venue.

In Manhattan it can be tough to get a car, which isn't so bad if the weather is mild, but often it's quite cold.

I've had some good ones.  Was at the 1st MTV New Year's Eve party.  I remember 1999 which was a pretty good one too.

In Manhattan where I'd go was often dependent on who I was dating at the time.  In Pattaya, have been going to Pattaya Beer Garden cause it's close to where my teerak works and a good view of the fireworks.

But New Year's Eve has a certain forced nature to it.  I prefer a good party on a normal night.

Last night my teerak said she'd like to go to a special Buddha event at Wat Chai on New years Eve.  She was worried that I might be disappointed but I think it's a meaningful way to bring in the New Year rather than drinking. It's not something that I have to go to.

So not sure what I'll be doing.  

Do you guys like New Year's Eve?

Any special plans?

• Upvote 1

Have never been in LOS for NYE so how much do Thais who don't work around farangs (bars, hotels etc..) actually celebrate it I mean it's our new year not theirs they already have Songkran anyways right? Or is it just to make us feel more at home and similar to Christmas in that way?

It's a big deal all over Thailand GT according to herself, unlike Xmas which is mainly promoted in farang frequented locations. Of course they have Songkran and they celebrate the Chinese New Year also. For a long time I actually though they had their own name for it, Kow Dow, until the penny dropped one NYE when I was watching a band in Hua Hin and the big sign behind them read Countdown 2009.

I have avoided the holidays in Pattaya the last few years because of the crowding. But I might be there next year. Walking Street becomes a total cluster phuck as people try and make their way toward the pier. Trying to make it up WS becomes very slow to impossible. Best avoided...

I was in Peppermint A GoGo a few years ago on NYE because a friend I bumped into wanted to go. There was a power failure about 11:50 PM that lasted for 20 minutes. Serious buzz kill. The only reason I was out that night was because I was staying in a Mosaik rented apartment right above Le Bordeaux. The typically sedate restaurant decided to have a NYE party and rented a sound system that made my room shake.

I come to Pattaya usually for long trips and there are a couple, or more, parties every week at LB bars. So a party isn't that unique and sometimes almost seems like an obligation. I have just stayed in on NYE in Pattaya on occasion.

This year I am just watching American college football and quite happy with that choice.

• Upvote 2

Im working, so have to watch everyone at midnight shake hands and wish each other a Happy New Year even though they haven't spoken all year  and dont particularly like them, load of bollocks really imho   :biggrin:

i am working too....in hospitality been doing this for the last 20 years.

but i feel comforted as i will see tons of beautiful pussy ( not lbs but.... )

it is nice to see other people having fun in high season when you know you will have fun in low season in Bkk

I would go to the Temple if i was in Thailand Pdoggg.....and then eating some squids at Huay Kwang market

• Upvote 1

Don't like it at all.  usually I am working and in bed by midnight. This year I was able NOT to work it and am not but I will STILL be tucked in bed by midnight.  Does that mean I am a loser??  I think not since its, by far, the worst time to go out.  Will go out for an early afternoon lunch with some family then back to my very nice family members house to watch the college football playoffs with some munchies.....

Don't like it at all. usually I am working and in bed by midnight. This year I was able NOT to work it and am not but I will STILL be tucked in bed by midnight. Does that mean I am a loser?? I think not since its, by far, the worst time to go out. Will go out for an early afternoon lunch with some family then back to my very nice family members house to watch the college football playoffs with some munchies.....

Funny what you say about feeling like a loser (or not) if not going out, when I was younger I felt great internal pressure to go out and have a big night as I didn't want to be the one and only in my class, of my peers etc.. to be staying in, now one of (maybe the only) advantages of getting older is that I no longer feel any of that and am more than happy to have a few bevies at home at then crawl into my own bed at a reasonable hour

I just read over my post again and holy shit can't believe what a boring old fuck I have become :)

• Upvote 2

If I was in Thailand I'd love it.  But I'm in Scotland so I hate it.  Fucking Auld Lang Syne...it depresses me.

I spent Xmas & New Year in Thailand back in 2009, spent Xmas in Phuket which was very enjoyable even having Xmas dinner with jimbo and titleist at The Islander Pub, back to Pattaya on the 30th Dec but dont remember a thing... just presuming it was good  :blink:

This is one of the nights where the different time zones come into play. Those of you out celebrating in Los are 2 hours into the new year already and likely tipsy to say the least while those in Europe are just getting ready for the night out if they bother at all. Our Aussie and NZ friends are nursing a hangover and the North Americans still have a day's work ahead of them in some cases before the fun begins.

HNY wherever you are on this globe we call home and congratulations on making it through another year.

• Upvote 1

Ive arrived home from working at the Pub, its gone 4am and to be honest it wasnt that bad, very very busy but no trouble which was a blessing, just glad silly season is over for another year though  B)

Glad it went ok for you, seriously!.. I did the later part of my growing up in a pub & that pretty much put me off both New Year's eve & Xmas eve, for good.. I just got so sick of seeing everyone at their absolute worst.

I even got my nose broke when I was sixteen by a couple of local thoughies who were in their thirties... So, I'm more than happy to sit it out at home with a few movies & a handful of joints nowdays, & just wait for the carnage to be over

• Upvote 2

The great thing about living here BB is that celebrating like that can be any night not just NYE.

Personally I think Xmas and new year is pretty much a commercial over populated mess and avoid it.

Saying that it is nice to see people happy and excited with kids or mates or girlfriends.

I watched the fireworks from my place with me chick and in bed by 12.20

The other nice thing is having clearer than normal roads on NYD.

• Upvote 2

Funny what you say about feeling like a loser (or not) if not going out, when I was younger I felt great internal pressure to go out and have a big night as I didn't want to be the one and only in my class, of my peers etc.. to be staying in, now one of (maybe the only) advantages of getting older is that I no longer feel any of that and am more than happy to have a few bevies at home at then crawl into my own bed at a reasonable hour

I just read over my post again and holy shit can't believe what a boring old fuck I have become :)

Boring old fuck??  Dont know about that.  The fact that you dont feel any pressure to go out and act silly on the night of 12-31 just means you are comfortable in your own skin......

Are you crazy... :biggrin:

Do you choose willing to go shopping at the busiest time of day or drive only in peak hour traffic. I think not. Every night is party night in Pattaya so why party on one of the busiest, booziest, most crowded of nights on the calendar. This also applies for me to Songkran which I have zero desire to partake in.

Each to their own however & if you enjoy braving the tidal wave of humanity on such evening then "up to you"... :party0049:

• Upvote 2

This is one of the nights where the different time zones come into play. Those of you out celebrating in Los are 2 hours into the new year already and likely tipsy to say the least while those in Europe are just getting ready for the night out if they bother at all. Our Aussie and NZ friends are nursing a hangover and the North Americans still have a day's work ahead of them in some cases before the fun begins.

HNY wherever you are on this globe we call home and congratulations on making it through another year.

• Upvote 1