Is being at home shit?

bumblebee

Over the years I am sure we have all read posts by guys saying how much they hate being home and live for their trips to SE Asia.  They make it sound like a living hell as they count down the days to their next trip/fix.  Personally i enjoy being home, I always make the most of the situation I find myself in and avoid the "grass is always greener." way of thinking.

So what is the consensus of you guys?

Over the years I am sure we have all read posts by guys saying how much they hate being home and live for their trips to SE Asia. They make it sound like a living hell as they count down the days to their next trip/fix. Personally i enjoy being home, I always make the most of the situation I find myself in and avoid the "grass is always greener." way of thinking.

So what is the consensus of you guys?

For me it can be a bit of a fight to not have the "grass is greener "mentality even though I live in one of the most stunningly beautiful cities in the world, the rainy winter weather can have a big impact on that

• Upvote 1

i personally feel homesick when i am in asia.....i cannot stay (stand)  there (them) more then 3 weeks. sometimes i anticipate my return ticket....but as soon i land home...i start checking air fares for the next trip.

just like being intoxicated and you quit drinking to be in good shape...as soon you are perfectly recovered...you want start drinking again , , . alternating between holiness and sin

• Upvote 3

Over the years I am sure we have all read posts by guys saying how much they hate being home and live for their trips to SE Asia.  They make it sound like a living hell as they count down the days to their next trip/fix.  Personally i enjoy being home, I always make the most of the situation I find myself in and avoid the "grass is always greener." way of thinking.

I'm happy here even if I won the lottery I'd still live in Ireland its a beautiful country .

Sure I'd like more holidays but you can't have it all .

When I return from Thailand it takes me a week or two to adjust and settle but after that I'm fine , you can't beat the comfort of your own home and your own bed .

I feel sorry for guys who spend their lives counting the days until they return to Thailand there is much more to life than that  life is for living every day .

• Upvote 2

I'm in England, close to the beautiful city of Cambridge and on the door step of the World's capital city which is London; where I was last night.

Every month I'm spending short breaks in other UK or main land Europe cities, at this stage of my life I'm very contented to be based where I am, although I do concede winter is a challenge and a few weeks to another continent for sunnier climes is essential.

Five or six years time that may be completely different as winter sunshine becomes more and more attractive.

However, I'd still wish to be in England May-September inclusive, whatever my circumstances.

• Upvote 2

I'm home now 6 weeks and not once did I think I'm glad to be back.

There are things I miss when away from home but I think I will be making a semi permanent move in the next two years.

I do like my summers in Ireland. Lots to do. But right now in this weather I struggle to like the place.

Ask people whether they'd prefer being in a foreign land doing whatever, however, whenever versus being woken by an alarm clock for work at least 5 days a week.  I think we all know the true answer.

When it comes to the likes of us on this or similar fora we can easily add to the above Thailand's specific extra benefits too. The potential for erotic sex with exotic ladyboys.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe for one second that someone can claim to be just as happy back home versus kicking-back in Thailand or another SE Asian country.  For many returning home it's a means to an end.

I guess self-denial is one way to deal with reducing the Thailand Blues.  Having said that, any daily happenings or events can become ordinary after a while, even mundane, but I know where I'd rather be, that's for sure.

• Upvote 3

As with so many questions, the answer varies according to each person's circumstances, tastes, desires, etc.  And so while it is interesting to read each person's answer, there is no one correct answer.

I enjoy my career, it pays well, and it involves lots of travel that for the last 15 years has taken me through Thailand often.  I also like where I live and have many hobbies and interests besides scuba diving and spending time with ladyboys, my two principal activities in Thailand.  It's actually looking like I might have a full summer at home this year, a thought that I don't want to jinx by thinking about it too much!  A summer of outdoor activities at home, motorcycle touring, golf and maybe taking in a few baseball games sounds just fine to me.  I'll see my sweeties later in the fall.

Although I could retire now I'd be stupid to do so since I have a nice balance of home and travel as it is.  When I do retire I'll spend more time in Thailand, but I'll also spend more time more time at home pursuing other interests.

• Upvote 1

Guest Lumix

Well i know where id much rather be,   Feet up chewing the fat watching the world go by with friends in sunny old Thailand,  As DC said been woken by a alarm clock sucks !!!!!  then have to work out a 12 shift 14 days a month to pay the bills, commute in shity weather !!!! yep Thailand does it for me,,,,........  

• Upvote 1

Ask people whether they'd prefer being in a foreign land doing whatever, however, whenever versus being woken by an alarm clock for work at least 5 days a week.  I think we all know the true answer.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe for one second that someone can claim to be just as happy back home 

I guess self-denial is one way to deal with reducing the Thailand Blues. 

You are basing that solely on your own experience .

If someone offered me the chance to live out the rest of my life in Thailand now I wouldn't take it.

To me Thailand is somewhere I holiday , I would like longer breaks there especially in winter but I couldn't live there .

I'm a home bird  .

• Upvote 2

Being at home is far from shit, quite the opposite. Yes, from time to time the daily humdrum can be quite tiresome, but like my wee buddy slim, I think Ireland is one of the best countries in the world to live, despite the weather. Think about it, Ireland is relatively inexpensive, not overly congested, only a few hours away from places like London, Paris, Barcelona, should you fancy a weekend away. Oh, and if you are golfer, Ireland IMO has some of the best courses to be found anywhere on the face of the planet!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I look forward immensely to my trips to Pattaya, and sometimes hate the thought of going home, but that is just a general holiday feeling. Once home, back into a routine and surrounded by friends and family, you realise what the true values of life are. And besides, LOS for me is holiday destination, living there, I think would become boring, or at the very least it would lose it's appeal.

• Upvote 1

I enjoy my career fall.

Although I could retire now I'd be stupid to do so since I have a nice balance of home and travel as it is. 

I quit my job 5 years after I discovered the sexual freedom of Thailand.

I wasn't enjoying my job anymore.

If I was enjoying my job and had more vacation time then I wouldn't have quit.

If I was better off financially I'd now split my time between New York and Thailand.

If I was better off financially I'd now split my time between New York and Thailand.

If I was better off financially i would go to other countries more. Thailand is fine, but it would be nice to see South America.

Back to the question; no , home is not shit

I think Ireland is one of the best countries in the world to live

I was just thinking the same about my homeland.  Its subjective, isn't it? I don't think Ireland is one of the best countries to live in, but for you being Irish, it should be.

If someone offered me the chance to live out the rest of my life in Thailand now I wouldn't take it.

To me Thailand is somewhere I holiday, I would like longer breaks there especially in the winter but I couldnt live there.

I'm a home bird  .

Totally agree with you Jim as I am of the same thinking  :drinks:

As for being in self-denial I tire of some falang residents in Thailand somehow thinking us mere holidaymakers  are envious and jealous of them because they live in Thailand...,  :indifferent0018:

• Upvote 2

Totally agree with you Jim as I am of the same thinking  :drinks:

As for being in self-denial I tire of some falang residents in Thailand somehow thinking us mere holidaymakers  are envious and jealous of them because they live in Thailand...,  :indifferent0018:

Ah come on , Dave, i know you would love living here full-time stacking cans on a shelf :biggrin:

I too love and hold my country dear. I was born, raised, educated and earned my living here. My friends and family are here. My country afforded me comfort, security, health care, social well-being, democracy, and the opportunity to elevate my lot in life. I have benefitted from its generosity and would fight/die to defend it and all it represents and aspires to be. It is home, the hearth, the bosom to my being. There is only two things wrong with my country. And that's January and February.  :biggrin:

Do I miss LOS? YES.

Would I jump at the chance to get on a plane to travel there in a heartbeat? YES

Is there a better destination on the face of this earth for an alcoholiday filled with sucking cock and fucking whomever is so inclined? NO. 

Would I trade my country, my home, my customs, my weather, my shitty lack-lustre cuisine, my boring day to day mundane existence to live in Thailand? NO

I do love going there but it seems I tire of being there relatively soon. I get spent quickly. But that has always been my nature. I always loved the idea of going somewhere but never much liked the idea of being there. The excitement of being in the destination always paled in comparison to the excitement of going there. Much like the excitement of BFing a little sweetie to take back to the room only to find a short while later that assisting in her departure is just as satisfying, if not more.    

All that being said, if I could hop on a plane tonight to LOS and run amuck with abandon for a few weeks I would be an extremely happy boy. 

And yes...Hooray for Ireland!!!  :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Of course I am. Aren't you basing your opinions on your own experience too?

I'm a home bird  .

Me too.

I haven't committed my life to Thailand but right now it's where I much prefer to be and I have no regrets. My life back in England was never what I'd describe as 'shit', in fact it was pretty good, but I'd much rather be here in Pattaya any day of the week.

No work commitments at all, negligible pressures of life, no alarm clock and a good night out whenever I want one. That certainly isn't on par with what's available back home. Apart from my parents I miss nothing about Farangland at all, maybe decent and reasonably priced cheese.

I always enjoy my extended winter jaunts to Thailand and I am sure if I am at home next winter there will be days I'll wish I was there. But when it comes to the milder longer days from April to September it is home where I prefer to be. Last year I had to go back to Los for May and June and was quite pissed off to be there as I was missing my favourite part of the year back home. While it was great to be with my other half and meet some of you guys I would have been much happier to do so at home.

I always find it amusing when i see those countdown clocks with something along the lines of 237 days till I am back home as they look forward to their annual fortnight in Los.

• Upvote 1

and what about all the brazilian, southamerican philipino etc. etc. etc. ladyboys that go to work abroad?

i live in italy and 99 % of the working ladyboys are foregneirs.....do they miss home? do they really like living here ? even if they get a lot of money ( i doubt it at this moment...the cash is not flowing and rates went down to Thailand levels..we are talking about 2.000 bath / 50 euros ) are they feeling lonely? Is being abroad shit?

sometimes i go to my chinese lb here and spend an afternoon with her....just talking about Asia......we weep a little...and we make love...so ain't so bad.

• Upvote 2