Is being at home shit?

bumblebee

It an interesting topic i think PD,i'm coming to the end of another long stay here in LoS,and not looking forward to going back to the UK....Somebody told me recently to try and look forward to going home,and to think of things to look forward to....been racking my brains ,but its a stretch trying to think of anything i really miss back home.....

I kinda like my job,that is,i kinda enjoy the physical aspect of it,its the rest of the hassle i could do without,dealing with customers,estimating,getting paid on time !....and the ancillary hassle of taxing and insuring vehicles,council tax and 101 other assorted pains in the arse ....I love not having to even think of all that crap whilst i'm away....

Anyway,my end game is to move to asia permanently ,whether I'll start to miss the UK then remains to be seen......a good friend of mine who has been living in LoS for 8 yrs now,tells me the only thing he misses is going to Old Trafford to watch his beloved Man United,i suspect thats all that I'd miss also....

• Upvote 3

yeah, a real interesting thread. When I first started reading the now defunct stoagie forum, it seemed like everyone was all about getting to LOS and hating the day when they had to leave. Over time that enthusiasm seemed to change. Perhaps the core group got used to LOS and maybe even the ladyboy aspect somewhat. Reading this thread seems to have explained forum traffic and posting over recent years. All I could think of was getting BACK Thailand for the first several trips or more. At some point the luster seems to have worn off. Kinda became usual, normal, etc.  Now I don't know but I suspect Thailand's political situation has had an effect to some degree. One can go from believing the smiles are real, to thinking they're sometimes real, to being sure they're mostly bullshit salesman's smiles. And the gov flip floppin on what they'll act on or not, it's annoying. I mean air dropped military raids on pleasure island? Sweeps for drugs, bans on chairs on the beach or EATING on the beach, it goes on and on. What was once gleaming silver for me is getting pretty badly tarnished now.  Then too I gotta wonder if middle aged crazy is part of it too. Interesting thread for sure.

• Upvote 2

I recently came back from an eight week trip to Pattaya. It was long enough and time to come back for me. However since late 2006 my trips to SE asia have been as long as six months and only twice less then eight weeks. My first trip to Pattaya was a week in January 2006 and by April 2008 I had spent about nine months in SE Asia (mostly in Thailand/Pattaya). I had figured out by the middle of my six month winter 2007/2008 trip that Thailand wasn't the LOS place I though it was. If I was only able to go once or twice a year for two weeks I think the it would have taken many more years to reach that opinion and I would be much more excited about the whole thing.

As it is now I go once a year for as close to 60 days (single entry tourist visa) as I can manage during the US winter. I'm plenty excited to get back to Thailand after 10 months away. I do get the usual horny cravings in between trips but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to visit Thailand when the weather is good here. Plus it's hot as hell there at those times. Not that I don't ever break this routine but it's been a few years since I was overcome by the urge and did a September trip.              

• Upvote 1

When I first started reading the now defunct stoagie forum, it seemed like everyone was all about getting to LOS and hating the day when they had to leave. Over time that enthusiasm seemed to change. Perhaps the core group got used to LOS and maybe even the ladyboy aspect somewhat. Reading this thread seems to have explained forum traffic and posting over recent years. All I could think of was getting BACK Thailand for the first several trips or more. At some point the luster seems to have worn off.

Same here Bob, my first visit to the Kingdom was in July 2001 and for years afterwards I would get the LOS Blues (2 or 3 times a year), I have made around 40 trips thus far and would say in the last 3 or 4years my "lust" for the place has somewhat waned though I still immensely enjoy it in "holiday mode" and sharing a few beers with the great mates Ive met over the years 

I will have had 4 trips to Philippines in 18 months (come this June) as opposed to two Thai, I am enjoying discovering the Philippines but as with every place I am ready for "home" again after a few weeks, maybe Im just getting old  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

i am home now...it ain't shit...just seen a flight Milan - Bogotà with Lufthansa ( well..well...well....) at 512 euros in June! Thailand can wait.....

if you have adventure in your soul.....you feel it everywhere!

Lets hope you're flying with Germanwings though. :biggrin: