Ramblings & Replies

10 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

Without cheating, can anyone name the vocalist who sang with Mick on the original studio recording (Gimme Shelter) ? 

(Edit - Woohoo. I've just become a "Walking ATM" :yahoo:)

Mmmm Mary sumfin. I know this one  but I forget.

Mary Kay? Kays? Keyes?

3 hours ago, seven said:

Mmmm Mary sumfin. I know this one  but I forget.

Mary Kay? Kays? Keyes?

Mary Clayton - It might be spelled Merry Clayton. The story goes (myth?) that she so over-did it singing with Jagger she miscarried a pregnancy. She also sang back up with Lynnerd Skinnyrd (sp?) on Sweet Home Alabama. 

I envy you guys who have seen the Stones. Since I was old enough they've only got down to the penal colonies twice, and each time I couldn't go. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2015 at 4:21 PM, JaiDee said:

Russell Crowe played him in the movie of the same name

Russell Crowe, the "Gladiator" arrived in Bangkok yesterday, apparently for shooting a new film called “The Greatest Beer Run Ever”. This is a story of a man leaving New York in 1967 to bring beer to his childhood buddies in the Army while they are fighting in Vietnam.

FBQUe8NVIAIc2xc?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Papa Sam
Added the film title
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Get up, Stand up!

BANGKOK, Nov 11 (Reuters) - Thailand's prime minister on Thursday exhorted moviegoers not to abandon a decades-old tradition of standing en masse to respect the country's powerful king during the royal anthem that is played before every film.

The comments came as King Maha Vajiralongkorn, 69, was reportedly in Germany on his first documented trip abroad since pro-democracy protests last year morphed into once-unthinkable open criticism of the monarchy, including questioning his prolonged absences from Thailand.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thai-pm-urges-moviegoers-stand-respect-king-during-anthem-2021-11-11/

6BMSCEEADZNJJBGUF2KL3HZQEY.jpg

On 10/2/2021 at 11:52 AM, seven said:

No Lisa Fisher, no Charlie Watts, but still. Last night in Charlotte, N.C.

Greatest band ever!

The Stones are the best ever IMO, though I know some Beatles diehards who would disagree. As long as Mick and Keith can perform, the Stones will exist. When they retire the Stones will likely cease to be, as we remember them. 

• Like 2
On 10/3/2021 at 11:46 AM, Jimmy Cargopants said:

Mary Clayton - It might be spelled Merry Clayton. The story goes (myth?) that she so over-did it singing with Jagger she miscarried a pregnancy. She also sang back up with Lynnerd Skinnyrd (sp?) on Sweet Home Alabama. 

I envy you guys who have seen the Stones. Since I was old enough they've only got down to the penal colonies twice, and each time I couldn't go. 

It is indeed Merry Clayton. She did have a miscarriage upon returning home from recording "Gimme Shelter", according to the Los Angeles Times.

IMO, that original studio cut is the best version of Gimme Shelter. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is question for you guys. Well two actually. Just watching Stephen Fry on Qi and he used a phrase which seems very common to residents of the UK which I dont think was used many years ago. That is the two words " at all". Over emphasised and said as one one word. Never hear it used elsewhere like that.

The other is the word floor, when used in sport etc. The player hit the floor. Another commonly used term in the UK. Surely it should be the word ground.

A floor is a substrate above the ground.

I know with all that is going on right now, it is of little consequence, but just making a query. Dont shoot me.

• Like 3

Interesting point Woodie, and I always enjoy observing the nuances in the English spoken in various countries. We use “at all” in the context of a sentence such as “I wouldn’t do that at all” (under any circumstances). Also in a sentence such as “I didn’t like it at all” (one bit/ one iota) 

Floor is used here in Ireland for both indoors and to a lesser extent outdoors, but using ground indoors sounds unusual, well to me anyway. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Interesting point Woodie, and I always enjoy observing the nuances in the English spoken in various countries. We use “at all” in the context of a sentence such as “I wouldn’t do that at all” (under any circumstances). Also in a sentence such as “I didn’t like it at all” (one bit/ one iota) 

Floor is used here in Ireland for both indoors and to a lesser extent outdoors, but using ground indoors sounds unusual, well to me anyway. 

BB, it is the tonal difference when saying "atall as one word", and overemphasized that sounds strange. 

Also the term ground is used outdoors, floor inside. I doubt whether you would be happy being on the ground/floor where you are right now!.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Woodie said:

Just watching Stephen Fry on Qi and he used a phrase which seems very common to residents of the UK which I dont think was used many years ago. That is the two words " at all". Over emphasised and said as one one word. Never hear it used elsewhere like that.

That isn't used generally in England, except by Irish expats/descendants. It is an Irish expression.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

That isn't used generally in England, except by Irish expats/descendants. It is an Irish expression.

Ah yes, that makes sense and explains why I am familiar with it.  Some rural people use the expression “at all, at all” which emphasises “never”,  even typing it I can hear it in a rural accent.  I just did some checking and found out it come from an old Irish expression  “ar chor ar bith” 

Ya learn something every day :)

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-meaning-of/irish-word-918b1f8184f062bae0195f151a7ae299f4f9f5c1.html 

D6F47A9B-F5BF-44B0-B91E-7CD0ADD0E1E6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

May I assume nearly all ladyboy mongers, other than ladyboys, are only into GGs? Myself, having been solidly 50/50 bisexual since before I ever knew transwomen existed, am still attracted to cisgender males sometimes. In LOS, quite often actually. I'd prowl the boy bars in and near Sunee quite often and am saddened to hear things have changed. I mean among farang. I've not met most of you inglourious basterds, so cannot say, but among the farang I have met over there, the only 4 I could have physical attraction to are Big Tel, Red Rock, Farangbah, and Anthony. No offense to any of the rest of ya. 555. This was just something that popped into my head a little while ago. I mean most of us farang are no prizes, but IMO the above mentioned 4 could get ladyboys to pay them for sex, assuming they've maintained. :)

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Lefty said:

I'd prowl the boy bars in and near Sunee quite often and am saddened to hear things have changed. I mean among farang. I've not met most of you inglourious basterds, so cannot say, but among the farang I have met over there, the only 4 I could have physical attraction to are Big Tel, Red Rock, Farangbah, and Anthony. 

Oh dear :biggrin:

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Lefty said:

the only 4 I could have physical attraction to are Big Tel, Red Rock, Farangbah, and Anthony.

Thank's Lefty not only for the compliment but also to be included in a group that I like you would also consider the other three members. I know Anthony & Red Rock certainly maintain and are in great shape as for Farangbah I have lost contact but I cannot see Him loosing His appeal or shape either. I only work out on  two items of equipment these days one being the Pull Up Bar & the main one are Gymnastic Rings which I have set up in the stair landing area of my Home. They are a challenge and humbling that's why I Love them so much.  Cheers my friend  :drinks:  Tel.

20200505_174327.jpg

20200505_174347.jpg

20200506_181130.jpg

20200606_052810.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

A Bangkok man got more than he bargained for when he poured beer over a woman who turned out to be a Muay Thai boxer. A video of the incident, in which 24 year old Pareploy Saeaia can be seen kicking and shoving the perpetrator, has since gone viral. In the clip, Pareploy can be seen in a wet dress after the man poured beer over her because she refused to have a drink with him. The boxer has since shared the clip on her own Facebook page.

“If this happens to other women, they might choose not to respond. The guy’s choosing the wrong person because I’m a boxer.”

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/female-boxer-fights-back-after-man-pours-beer-over-her-for-refusing-to-drink-with-him

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...