Booster

Pdoggg

I also had 2 AZ jabs first. My booster shot was with Spikevax from Moderna. I did experience some side effects after the first AZ and the Moderna jabs. If I can get to choose it, I will probably go for Comirnaty for the fourth jab sometime later next year - or whatever vaccine that's adapted to protect against the omicron variant is available by then...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I've had two AZ jabs, the last one three months ago so I may be eligible for a booster.

If given the choice, should I choose Pfizer or Moderna?

Both  have great effects as boosters. Moderna was criticized due side effects on males lower than 30 years old but it remains an excellent vaccine for yound young men in their 50s. 

(I had 2 AZ this year and a Pfizer booster this month. However, my pharmacist told me thgis might be Moderna in case of a second booster. Moderna is as effcient as Pfizer. Mixing vaccines prooved to improve immunity better than just one vaccine. 

• Like 4

We don’t have a choice here for now.  The government need to shift a load of Modena before they expire in early February so that’s what we are getting at the moment.  Managed to get mine last Friday week just in time for the family gatherings this weekend.  So that’s a Moderna booster on top of 2 Pfizer from last summer which feels quite reassuring. 

Lots of information on the web about Pfizer vs. Moderna boosters.  I received the two-shot Pfizer regimen in the spring, but opted a few weeks ago for the Moderna booster after spending some time Googling. 

Moderna edges out Pfizer in the effectiveness of boosters.  The Pfizer booster is their original 30 microgram mRNA dose whereas Moderna is a 50 microgram mRNA dose (half that of the initial two-shot series).  There are slight differences between these two vaccines, but both use the same technology and RNA sequence data gleaned from study of the original strain. 

It seems that there is a fairly linear dose response depending on the amount of spike protein mRNA administered.  I did notice somewhat more pronounced side effects from the Moderna booster than from the original Pfizer jabs, but mainly it was just a couple of days of feeling really lethargic and a bit achy all over.  No big deal; it shows that the juice is working.  And, hey, Moderna has the word "modern" in it, so it must be better!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, seven said:

A 4th? You're not overdoing it?

Apparently immunity starts to decrease 12 weeks after vaccination. It is being recommended here that people with compromised immune systems and over-60s get booster jabs every 3 months.

It will be over 12 weeks since my booster next week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seven said:

So you're still going... I thought you cancelled what could be saved.?

Unless the Thai or UK governments stop tourism to Thailand again I should still be going.

There were claims that Thailand might stop entry for people who already had Thailand Pass if their flights were not due to arrive until after 10 January. Now it seems that is not the case. But they will review their position on 4 January.

I am due to arrive on 15 January and still expect to be able to go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quietguy said:

Even if they scrap the 1 day Test and Go spending one week in Phuket is an option.  My understanding is that you wander around Phuket without any restriction and then after a week go to Pattaya.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I've had two Pfizer plus the Pfizer booster. I will try to get another shot after New Year, before I fly out to los mid January.

I will see if I can get a Moderna or Astra Zeneca as it seems a different vaccine might be more effective against Omicron.

jesus QG! what are you doing? they will be putting you into Cold Turkey soon before your arm drops off.

slow down man!

21 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Unless the Thai or UK governments stop tourism to Thailand again I should still be going.

There were claims that Thailand might stop entry for people who already had Thailand Pass if their flights were not due to arrive until after 10 January. Now it seems that is not the case. But they will review their position on 4 January.

Ok, I thought you cancelled after new restrictions. Good luck. The kittens are getting ready!

On 12/26/2021 at 12:14 AM, Pdoggg said:

I've had two AZ jabs, the last one three months ago so I may be eligible for a booster.

If given the choice, should I choose Pfizer or Moderna?

The best one is whatever is available. The technology used on Pfizer and Moderna is the same. Both are mRNA vaccines. mRNA vaccines teach our cells how to make a protein—or even just a piece of a protein—that triggers an immune response inside our bodies.

I got the Johnson & Johnson last April which did not require a booster. It is a viral vector vaccine. This is the oldest technology of the commonly available vaccines. The J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine also contains a piece of a modified virus that is not the virus that causes COVID-19. This modified virus is called the vector virus. The vector virus cannot reproduce itself, so it is harmless. This vector virus gives instructions to cells in the body to create an immune response.

When I got a booster in November, Pfizer was what was available so I got it. They all work, and there is no reason to not get vaxxed just because one you may think is better is not available while another one is. Pfizer and Moderna are both fine. Equally fine. Given the choice? Flip a coin. Here is a a fun little reaction my 70 year old cousin had with Pfizer. Last March he got it and the booster. No other lifestyle changes as for supplements or diet. But shortly after getting the Pfizer he said he started feeling "randy as hell", like when he was in his 30s. He has a medical background and said there is no logical reason for the Pfizer or any vaccine to have this side effect, but it was the only thing new he'd done. So, it remains a mystery. Given the choice, just for that reason, try Pfizer. But when I got one jab of it, I had no side effects at all. Same as when I got the J & J last April. It may as well have been saline.

AstraZeneca is also a viral vector vaccine. BTW. 

• Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 5:57 PM, Quietguy said:

I've had two Pfizer plus the Pfizer booster. I will try to get another shot after New Year, before I fly out to los mid January.

I will see if I can get a Moderna or Astra Zeneca as it seems a different vaccine might be more effective against Omicron.

Moderna and Pfizer are both mRNA, so basically the same. AZ and J&J are both viral vector. Since you already received Pfizer, perhaps one of the latter two if available, since they use a different technology. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 4:22 PM, soiboy said:

Lots of information on the web about Pfizer vs. Moderna boosters.  I received the two-shot Pfizer regimen in the spring, but opted a few weeks ago for the Moderna booster after spending some time Googling. 

Moderna edges out Pfizer in the effectiveness of boosters.  The Pfizer booster is their original 30 microgram mRNA dose whereas Moderna is a 50 microgram mRNA dose (half that of the initial two-shot series).  There are slight differences between these two vaccines, but both use the same technology and RNA sequence data gleaned from study of the original strain. 

It seems that there is a fairly linear dose response depending on the amount of spike protein mRNA administered.  I did notice somewhat more pronounced side effects from the Moderna booster than from the original Pfizer jabs, but mainly it was just a couple of days of feeling really lethargic and a bit achy all over.  No big deal; it shows that the juice is working.  And, hey, Moderna has the word "modern" in it, so it must be better!

My first vaccine, as I mentioned previously was the single dose J&J. If I had been able to get it for my recent booster, I read it would increase my immunity by 900%. Not sure how reliable that bit of info was. The vaccine available here for boosters at the time was Pfizer so it was that or nothing. 

I'd have gotten J&J for the booster though had it been an option. 

• Like 1

Just had a message from an "old" acquaintance to say she has covid. The whole bar staff have it.

Worried as shit. Tried to calm her down. She has had two Astra's and one Sino, so should get away with out too much trouble. Here's hoping anyway. Was out of work with the lockdowns etc., now this. Poor kid.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Woodie said:

The whole bar staff have it.

Based on anecdotal evidence, I'd say the actual number of new daily infections is at least 10X Pattaya's official number (261) which doesn't include take home ATK tests.  I also know someone who has it.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are 100 Pattaya bars where the whole staff is Covid+

I am modifying my behavior since the Big O is so highly contagious even if some early evidence suggests that it not as severe as Delta.  Of course I could have it now and be asymptomatic.  But I'm not going to play Russian roulette. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I'd say the actual number of new daily infections is at least 10X Pattaya's official number (261) which doesn't include take home ATK tests.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are 100 Pattaya bars where the whole staff is Covid+

I agree and we'll never get the correct numbers.  That goes for the west too. We hardly do any testing anymore as its pointless.

Got a message today from a ladyman in Patts who's so  scared she's not going out for food. Her best friend who she's been hanging with tested positive yesterday. I tried to calm her down but she's only had 2 shots of Sino sic, not sure if that's vac or farm and I understand her fears as thais basically think its curtains should they catch it.  I wish BBG could get out there and inform them that's not the case.

If there was a risk pre Omicron you were unfortunate enough to test positive at arrival in Bkk, the numbers are certainly not to your favor as of now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Based on anecdotal evidence, I'd say the actual number of new daily infections is at least 10X Pattaya's official number (261) which doesn't include take home ATK tests.  I also know someone who has it.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are 100 Pattaya bars where the whole staff is Covid+

I am modifying my behavior since the Big O is so highly contagious even if some early evidence suggests that it not as severe as Delta.  Of course I could have it now and be asymptomatic.  But I'm not going to play Russian roulette. 

DeNiro and Walken, or a couple of LBR BMs?

• Like 1