RIP Charlie Watts

15 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

Charlie Watts, a great Drummer and also one of the nicest people in Rock and roll.

He was by all accounts a nice guy, but he did punch Mick Jagger after he referred to him as 'my drummer'.

This is an excerpt from Keith Richards' autobiography.

Screenshot 2021-08-25 12.05.03.png

Screenshot 2021-08-25 12.06.35.png

RIP Charlie Watts. One of the great musicians of my youth.

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

The Rolling Stones are now four shows into their 2021 No Filter Tour, and they have yet to play “Brown Sugar” a single time. The tune has been a staple of their live show since it came out 50 years ago, and it’s the second most played song in their catalog with 1,136 known performances. (“Jumpin’ Jack Flash” is #1.)

“You picked up on that, huh?” Keith Richards told the L.A. Times earlier this week when asked about the absence of the song. “I don’t know. I’m trying to figure out with the sisters quite where the beef is. Didn’t they understand this was a song about the horrors of slavery? But they’re trying to bury it.” The band’s possibly final “Brown Sugar” performance took place August 30th, 2019 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Florida.

It’s not hard to understand why some people want to bury the song. Let’s just look at the first verse: “Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields/Sold in the market down in New Orleans /Scarred old slaver knows he’s doing alright/Hear him whip the women just around midnight.”

This is indeed an historically accurate description of the horrors of the slave trade. And while nobody is seriously suggesting the Stones released a pro-slavery song, it continues on with lines about the unimaginable sexual abuse many slaves faced once they reached southern plantations.

“Drums beating, cold English blood runs hot,” Jagger sings. “Lady of the house wonderin’ when it’s gonna stop/House boy knows that he’s doing alright/You shoulda heard ’em just around midnight.”

This is not a typical subject for a pop song, and it culminates with the chorus, “Brown sugar, how come you taste so good?” Regardless of intent, it’s not surprising that Mick Jagger no longer felt comfortable leading 50,000 people a night in a singalong rendition of the song. It just doesn’t taste so good in 2021.

“We’ve played ‘Brown Sugar’ every night since 1970,” he told the L.A. Times, “So sometimes you think, ‘We’ll take that one out for now and see how it goes.’ We might put it back in.”

Richards hopes that happens. “At the moment I don’t want to get into conflicts with all of this shit,” he said. “But I’m hoping that we’ll be able to resurrect the babe in her glory somewhere along the track.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/flashback-the-rolling-stones-play-brown-sugar-last-time-1240800/

• Like 2

PDoggg, I’m afraid people don’t understand the concept of writing songs that tell stories rather than sharing personal experience. Can you imagine the shit storm if Randy Newman‘s “sail away“ were to get a lot of AirPlay nowadays? If you don’t know what I’m talking about just look up the lyrics. Classic song but people would be up in arms because they’re too lazy to do any actual research. Don’t even get me started on the furor that would result from his song “short people”, lol!

I can’t comment on The Stones as I’ve always found them to be one of the most boring bands in history. I’ve long had a theory that you’re either deeply in the Beatles camp, or you’re deeply in the Stones camp, and people that claim to be in the middle are usually the ones that, when asked what bands/type of music they like, will say “whatever’s on the radio.“

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, deepthroat said:

I can’t comment on The Stones as I’ve always found them to be one of the most boring bands in history. I’ve long had a theory that you’re either deeply in the Beatles camp, or you’re deeply in the Stones camp, and people that claim to be in the middle are usually the ones that, when asked what bands/type of music they like, will say “whatever’s on the radio.“

I would tend to agree that you were in either The Beatles or The Stones camp back in the day. 

I myself was in The Stones camp as they were and still are my favourite ever Band, and Keef is my God :imNotWorthy:

However in later years I got to appreciate what a truly fantastic Band The Beatles were also, some fantastic songs. :good:

As for The Stones being boring, all I can say is each to their own. :wink:

• Like 2

I was a Beatles chap first when I was a kid. Then at some point decided they weren't very exciting musically ("good in the studio, crap live" - Charlie Watts). I was definitely a Stones boy thereon, still am, though the last couple of years I started listening to the Beatles again and enjoying them. 

Re the furour Brown Sugar - It's one of the Stones most enduring songs. I'd put it in my top three the best tracks they ever recorded. It's dumb canceling songs - especially rock songs. About half the canon of classic rock would disappear and we'd be left with only Justin Bieber and Herman's Hermits.

Brown Sugar will come back --- You can't keep a good (classic) song down!

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

Re the furour Brown Sugar - It's one of the Stones most enduring songs. I'd put it in my top three the best tracks they ever recorded. 

Brown Sugar will come back --- You can't keep a good (classic) song down!

Yes I hope so, sooner rather than later. 

Only if Daryl or Steve had said "Hey guys I don't feel great performing this song anymore.." .. Now that carries weight, 'cos they're -you know- black and more importantly they're in the band. I can understand that Mick n Keith would take note of that. More commonly though this kind of *woke* idiocy comes from women who have no personal stake - Typically white women with useless sociology degrees or some edgy teenager living in a middle class home. They don't deserve a moment of anyone's attention. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 9:00 PM, Jimmy Cargopants said:

Brown Sugar will come back --- You can't keep a good (classic) song down!

Just heard it being played on Union Jack Radio (a British song only Radio station) :good:

The thing that I have noticed recently though is that the Union Jack Radio signiture has now changed to an all blue background instead of its original Union Flag :wacko:.

I wonder which nomark has deemed this somehow improper or racist? :crazy:

IMG_20211104_143940.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, duke007 said:

nomark

Had to google that.   :crazy:

Nomark

First heard in Manchester in the early 90's a NO MARK is a man who is mediocre and not a success in life. One who has left "no mark" on the world

Also commonly used in Merseyside to describe an underacheiver, with no friends, no ambition, no job, but who often has illusions that he is someone or thinks he's important.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

First heard in Manchester in the early 90's a NO MARK is a man who is mediocre and not a success in life. One who has left "no mark" on the world

Also commonly used in Merseyside to describe an underacheiver, with no friends, no ambition, no job, but who often has illusions that he is someone or thinks he's important.

Still commonly heard and used in Manchester, especially when you add those who are repulsively patriotic, still live with their Mum, and holiday in Benidorm.

Good description, Mr.Doggg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
On 11/5/2021 at 4:32 AM, dixon cox said:

Still commonly heard and used in Manchester, especially when you add those who are repulsively patriotic, still live with their Mum, and holiday in Benidorm 

Nothing wrong with loving our Country  imho, either I live with Mum or she has to go into a Care Home (no brainer for me), not that it is any of your business, currently at Manchester Airport waiting for a Flight to Benidorm (the 5 million Brits who visit there each year can't all be wrong), looking forward to it.B)

And lastly , Go Fuck Yourself  

Apologies for the threadfuck Charlie.

20211107_074305.jpg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, duke007 said:

Nothing wrong with loving our Country  imho, either I live with Mum or she has to go into a Care Home (no brainer for me), not that it is any of your business, currently at Manchester Airport waiting for a Flight to Benidorm (the 5 million Brits who visit there each year can't all be wrong), looking forward to it.B)

And lastly , Go Fuck Yourself  

Apologies for the threadfuck Charlie.

20211107_074305.jpg

I ain't Charlie. I'm P&G.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1