Elvis: 40 Years Gone Today.

bumblebee

I was 17-years-old and had just graduated from high school. 

Was not really much of fan in those days, as he was fat, dressed in hideous outfits and doing shitty music in Vegas. 

It was not until a few years later that I discovered his early recordings that I was totally blown away. Those early rockabilly Sun Records recordings are some of my favorite rockabilly tunes of all time. Truly American classic rock and roll at its finest. 

As John Lennon suggested, "the army castrated Elvis." Meaning that pretty much everything he did after he got out of the army totally sucked. I have to agree. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, bumblebee said:

where were you the night the king died?

I was 11, at home with my mom, radio was on and the news broke. She was shocked. I knew of him , but I can't say I was a fan at the time. Later I saw the Vegas show on television where hes in a boxing ring and thought that was really cool.

Best singer ever , maybe.

• Like 2
  • 4 years later...
On 8/17/2017 at 5:00 AM, seven said:

I

Best singer ever , maybe.

great singer Seven but i think Roy Orbison could claim the title.

Anyway, strange topic this. What makes people think that Elvis is dead? i can inform you all that he isn't. only a few weeks ago i'm pretty sure i saw him doing a couple of numbers in Emmy's bar. Okay, the hair has gone but it was him. Belted out a Pinkcrack number too [i think]. Even removed his mask to do so !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Elvis was a stud..... in my view he was the original Eminem.... taking authentic black music (and dance) from places white people normally wouldn't go and delivering it to mainstream in an authentic way that even black people respected and white people were memorized and sometimes shocked.

Drugs and bad choices were probably a symptom of pain he felt that he was not able to regulate without massive chemical stimulation. The regular fried peanut butter, honey and bacon sandwiches to trigger dopamine were likely as significant a factor in his death as the barbiturates and other prescription drugs he was feeding. 

I guess his girlfriend, doctor, entourage didn't intervene and just let him keep going down a slippery slope of self indulgence. They probably would have been outcast if they confronted him with the truth and were likely a part of the ecosystem enabling his demise.

I love that quote from Lennon that Strocube referenced. 

who remembers Melvis from Hong Kong?

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...