The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

Alright lads, here is a piece of trivia that i came across yesterday.  William the Conqueror never raised an heir and seemed to have a major predilection for all things trans 

"He was surrounded by what the chroniclers called 'effeminates' with mincing step and extravagant costume; they wore their hair long like women, letting it tumble down in ringlets that had been curled by clamping irons; the lamps of the court were put out at night so that unnatural sins might be committed under the cover of darkness'

Now i know the ancient Greeks used to shoot with the other foot but that is a different field game altogether.

Question is, can King Willie be considered as the earliest known admirer of 'ours'?

• Upvote 4

Question is, can King Willie be considered as the earliest known admirer of 'ours'?

The ancient Greeks & Romans beat him by thousands of years. If you are specifically looking for someone we can name, sorry I can't answer that.

Or perhaps I can suggest 'Julius Caesar'....           :pardon:

Interestingly all the theatre traditions going back (Greek, Roman, British, Chinese) used boys to play the female parts & many of the "actresses" lived the part offstage as well with their benefactors. (There is a theory that the term "drag" came from the stage direction "dressed as a girl" though that may be more legend than fact.) The "castrati" being a relatively more recent example of boys taking the female singing roles & also girlfriend roles for nobility & clergy. Whether they lived female full time is a good queston, they are referred to as effeminate which could be interpreted several ways.

Interesting book I picked up in LOS years ago: "Pei Yu: Boy Actress", a French novel ("Bijou de Ceinture") from the 20's that the author based on a person he knew from the Chinese theatre pre 1911 who lived trans, although he stated that due to the lack of women in any aspect of public life then that it was not uncommon for boys in the theatre to adopt the female role in life as well & acquire wealth & lovers that way.

• Upvote 1