Ramblings & Replies

A masked exhibitionist is reportedly terrorising female students in Samut Prakan by masturbating as they leave school every evening.  :shok:

Pat, a 17-year-old student, said she and her friends often see this man when they are leaving school at 4pm. The man, wearing a helmet, pulls out his penis and starts masturbating before fleeing. 

She said one of her friends managed to record him in action and his motorcycle’s licence plate and posted the clip on social media.They hoped the clip would catch the attention of the authorities and that they would initiate legal action against the deviant.The clip attracted comments from other netizens, one of whom said the pervert used to wait outside a local hotel to exhibit his prowess in front of hotel staff.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395434

Maybe this should be in the  political thread.

Highly recommended book.  Professor at Yale, earned a sort of rock star status in the US where he lives, and is here now promoting his book.

I sign up for most of his philosophy.

https://www.amazon.com/This-Life-Mortality-Makes-Free/dp/1788163001

This Life: Why Mortality Makes Us Free

'Any spiritual life must tremble with the anxiety of freedom, even in the most profound fulfillment of our aspirations...'

Would Heaven be boring? Do you want to live forever? If this is all there is, what should we do with it? Join the Swedish philosopher Martin Hägglund on an original inquiry into the deepest questions of existence.

To truly embrace the freedom that life grants us, Hägglund argues, we must rid ourselves of two delusions. On the one hand, all the great religions try to persuade us that immortality is just around the corner. This is a not only a lie: it couldn't help us if it was true. In reality our time in this world is the only thing of value we can ever possess, and its value depends on the fact that we must fight to keep it. Yet capitalism, our other spiritual enemy, constantly beguiles us to steal it.

Via profound engagements with some of the greatest philosophers and theologians in history, including Aristotle, St Augustine, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Hegel and Marx, Hägglund takes aim at these two great adversaries, religion and capitalism, stripping away their many subtle illusions to return us to life itself in all its fragility.

The final lesson is this: existence is a collective project. Everything is at stake in what we do together, and nothing outside it matters. In illuminating this profound truth, This Life announces itself as the first great work of existentialist philosophy of the 21st century.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sometimes life takes a swipe at us.

Was talking to a friend yesterday on the phone. After about 10 minutes he asked," do you know where I am?'. I could hear him walking. Obviously to a quieter area. "I am waiting for my mother to die".

He was outside her room in the hospital. What do you say to something like that?. She passed away at 11.00 this morning.

I think it puts things in perspective. We all know it is going to happen, it is just a matter of when.

Life is a shit at times, but the alternative is not as good.

Make the most of life while you can guys. We don't get a second shot at it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Woodie said:

Life is a shit at times, but the alternative is not as good.

Make the most of life while you can guys. We don't get a second shot at it.

I think for many of us the current Covid situation has put things that are really important in clearer perspective.  My dad passed away over two years ago and quite often I think of his final hour and how life can change utterly in a few minutes.  9 pm I was sitting with him in the living room, having tea and about to watch the news, as we did every night.  An hour later I was holding his hand in bed as the faded and passed away.  In the space of one short hour we went from the normal and mundane  to a whole new situation which we had to deal with.  Watching someone pass on surely is a reality check of how it can all be over in the literal blink of an eye.  
RIP your friend’s mother and all who have lost close ones. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
So what y'all think be happening saturday on the 20th anniversary ? Nothing or another terror attack?
I'll be on two international flights tomorrow and my level of fear of anything happening is, well, extremely low...
On 9/15/2001, two days after the airspace above the US reopened, I boarded a UA flight from a major airport in the US to South America, and guess what: nothing happened (except that the 767 or 757, don't remember exactly, was almost completely empty). I guess nothing will happen tomorrow either...
Don't let fear (terrorists, viruses or whatever) take over your life. YOLO (I think)...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, seven said:

No Lisa Fisher, no Charlie Watts, but still. Last night in Charlotte, N.C.

Greatest band ever!

The Stones were formed the year I was born .....and I consider myself old now. My favourite band and it's terrific they're touring again. Charlie's missed by everyone of course, but I think Steve Jordan is finding his groove and place in the band. Still a great band IMO.

Though I'm not sure about Keef's yellow skull cap .. Did he put it on in the dark!!?

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

The Stones were formed the year I was born .....and I consider myself old now.

don't worry Jimmy, you are not alone. We consider you old too.....

but... it must be so hard for someone like Sasha to follow in the footsteps of the utterly wonderful Lisa Fischer, but she does a great job.

so, regarding that last comment, i have posted this before and probably will again because she is a magnificent lady, the greatest of the greats.Lisa Fischer.

play it loud!

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

The Stones

Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau popped into the president’s head. Trump looked at me. “Are you OK if I say this?” That was always a troubling question. Who knew what was going to come out of his mouth? Sure, I nodded. “Trudeau’s mom. She fucked all of the Rolling Stones.” (In fact, Margaret Trudeau denied having affairs with any members of the Rolling Stones, but later said, “I should have slept with every single one of them.”)

10 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

Lisa Fischer.

She's really something else. Ive only seen the Stones live a handful of times first time 1982. In late 90s I had great tickets at an indoor venue only 6-7 meters from the stage. When she started her part in Gimme Shelter I was blown away. Goddamm she was good. What struck me also was how tiny the Stones members were. Jagger is a very thin, small frame guy , probably why he still can move like this at 78. Impressive.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, seven said:

She's really something else. Ive only seen the Stones live a handful of times first time 1982.

strangely enough with all this stuff i post, i've never been a stones fan. Only seen them once i think, at the Hyde Park concert just after Brian Jones death, without checking 1969? still don't really listen to their records too much but the live concert's they do are wonderful. I did see Charlie playing with some guys at Ronnie Scott's club in Soho once.  As for Lisa, she gave up a solo career [even though she is a Grammy Awards winner] to tour with them for years. Nowadays, the pounds have piled on and the hair has gone, but she is still belting out good stuff, long may she continue. Thank god for youtube.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

Nowadays, the pounds have piled on and the hair has gone, but she is still belting out good stuff, long may she continue. Thank god for youtube.

Yup, I have seen these clips. Saw an interview with her as well, and she was never really comfortable with being a star, it was never her goal.

5 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

i've never been a stones fan.

Yes, you were prolly a Beatle. I have never understood the never-to-be questioned greatness of this band. I know I'm almost alone with this opinion, except for Lou Reed and Julian Casablanca.  Lennon was better solo, imo. Beatles, meh...