Ramblings & Replies

“In a lot of other cities, pedestrians are people who think of themselves as drivers who happen to be walking,” says Peter Norton, a historian at the University of Virginia who studies the rise of the car in urban areas. “And therefore, they’re considerate of the concerns of the driver. But most people in New York think of themselves as pedestrians and are not so sympathetic to the driver’s perspective.”

In most of Europe and north America the car is king.  In Pattaya, motobike drivers rule. But New Yorkers believe that the pedestrian is the boss.  Maybe that's why I'm yelling motherfucker and cocksucker at Pattaya motobike drivers on a daily basis. A bad and useless habit.

Today's New York Times Magazine section is devoted to Walking In New York.  Looks like some good articles there.  Here's one of them:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/magazine/how-do-we-protect-new-york-citys-pedestrians.html

• Upvote 1

NY and Boston are very walkable cities, but IMO it would be hard to live *anywhere* without a vehicle, for those times when you want to go on a road trip or to see the countryside or the ocean.  I suppose you could rent a car but it's just not the same.

People in California would never even consider not owning one.

• Upvote 1

I used to drive all the time & really loved it, drove across the US a few times, driving for hours out west between desolate locations for work, from the midwest to Alaska, etc...  I haven't owned a car now for 25 years & hope I can stay a pedestrian, it's a giant load off my mind. Very location dependent tho....

NY and Boston are very walkable cities, but IMO it would be hard to live *anywhere* without a vehicle, for those times when you want to go on a road trip or to see the countryside or the ocean.  I suppose you could rent a car but it's just not the same.

Parking garages are so expensive in Manhattan that a buddy of mine used a garage in Westchester for "only" $100 a month. He had to take two subways to Grand Central and the Metro North to White Plains.  But most of his trips were Upstate New York or Western Mass so not so bad.  But sometimes he'd have to go to Virginia by way of Westchester.

100 a month is a serious bargain!

When I used to go get my Thailand visa from the consulate in Boston it would cost me 32 bucks to park nearby; for the first hour!

Tack on 6 bucks an hour after that; for one day in the tourist section of Boston it could easily cost 75 or 80 bucks.  I know the long-term people get a deal on parking but I'm sure it's still ridiculous.

There was no thread about the Bruce Jenner announcment, so I will put this here.

Found it on my newsfeed today, from Glenn Beck's awesome and open-minded website called The Blaze.

This is how loving, caring Christians truly feel about our Ladyboy friends. Way cool.

Bruce Jenner Is Not A Woman. He Is A Sick And Delusional Man.

''On Friday night, a mentally ill crossdresser named Bruce Jenner was interviewed for 2 hours during prime time.....''

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/bruce-jenner-is-not-a-woman-he-is-a-sick-and-delusional-man/

Bruce Jenner Is Not A Woman. He Is A Sick And Delusional Man.

''On Friday night, a mentally ill crossdresser named Bruce Jenner was interviewed for 2 hours during prime time.....''

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/bruce-jenner-is-not-a-woman-he-is-a-sick-and-delusional-man/

It leads toa nother article where Joe Biden says:

s-JOE-BIDEN-LGBT-large.jpg
WASHINGTON -- Vice President Joe Biden said transgender discrimination is "the civil rights issue of our time"

:party0011: :party0011: :party0011:

• Upvote 1

Unlike other recent USA urban conflicts, I ain't certain this is a black v white thing.........

The elected mayor of Baltimore is black...The elected president of the 15 member city council is black...There are 8 other black members elected to seats on the council.............

The commissioner of the Baltimore police force is black...of the 4000 or so members of the Baltimore police department, 43% are black...............

I ain't certain what this really is all really about....But it truly appears to be contagious and is truly fucking scary as hell.........

• Upvote 1

That is a strange 'fact'. Whos fact is it?  Ted Nugents? 

Total ignorance.  Just have a looksee at some cities with the strictest gun control laws i.e Chicago, Detroit, Philly and Washington DC.  Compare the murder rates of Chicago to another large rather violent city that has much more lax gun laws, lets say, Houston.  have a look at the FACTS and get back to me.

Its rather interesting that New York City has VERY strict gun control laws but the crime/murder rates PLUMMETED the last 20 years.  that saved THOUSANDS of lives, mostly minority.  Again, dont believe me as I am certain you dont look at the PUBLISHED FACTS.  The reason for New Yorks turnaround is that it has had more than competent leadership the past 20 years.  Sadly, that has come to an end and the rates in shootings has bumped up.  Gee, I wonder why..................

That is a strange 'fact'. Whos fact is it?  Ted Nugents? 

This data is from that bastion of extreme right wing conservatism, The Daily Beast:

The undisputed cities that have the highest murder rates in 2014: Detroit, New Orleans, and Baltimore -theres a shock for you.

The next highest are Chicago, Philly and Indy.

Now why Washington DC isnt in there, I have no idea.  Maybe because its not considered a "city".

Chicago had 407 and Houston had 239 and they are both a similar size.

Funnily enough the number of murders are DOWN nation wide the past 20 years-go figure.

So you are entitled to your own snarky opinions but you are NOT entitled to your own facts.