Ramblings & Replies

And for that cowardly act Japan was clearly deserving of the eventual bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki...........

You fuck with the bull, you get the horn..............

Yeah... I go back & forth on that one as the decades change, in recent years I am with you. But I do wish that sites that were more militarized were targeted instead of civilian populations...  By definition war is the opposite of civilization.

Throughout history the Japanese were plunderers, rapists, cruel and acted with impunity. They crossed a fatal line bombing Pearl Harbour. Someone had to pull them in line. The US and allied forces did just that. IMO they still think the same way. They're just a whole lot quieter about it today. 

But I do wish that sites that were more militarized were targeted instead of civilian populations... 

I don't think I disagree with you Khun Hefe...There may indeed have been other sites to prove our might without killing so many civilians...But today they can't take back Pearl Harbor and we can't take back Hiroshima and Nagasaki....All three will ever be...........

Throughout history the Japanese were plunderers, rapists, cruel and acted with impunity. They crossed a fatal line bombing Pearl Harbour. Someone had to pull them in line. The US and allied forces did just that. IMO they still think the same way. They're just a whole lot quieter about it today. 

Things like that sometimes make me wonder where Thailand would be these days had it been over run like Vietnam and Cambodia back in the same time frame. From what I can tell the Cambodians seem much more humble than the arrogent civilization that is Thailand. But the atrocities in Cambodia were of such a major scale, and mostly from within, so probably hard to draw conclusions. But likely things would be very different.  

Paul Theroux...the novelist and great travel writer has written.........

Japan  "...is a one-race, one-language, one-family island of desperate overachievers who have a fascist belief in their own racial superiority."   - The Happy Isles of Oceana, p. 161, The Solomons ...........

In that regard perhaps they are not unlike some other Asian folk................

They do make some very beautiful and tasty women though.............

And y'all know what they say....It is a good thing we won the war or we would all be driving around in Japanese (and German) cars...........I drive Yank.....................................

• Upvote 1

Sure we bombed 2 cities. Then gave em the Marshall plan, along with Germany. And now? Well, Detroit LOOKS bombed. We have no electronics industry to speak of, and the "losers" ? Seem to be doing much better than we are. Meanwhile, we've sent all the experts, dies, molds, machinery and know how to China so the biggest commie country on the planet is now a huge economy and we are dependent as hell on em. If they stopped shipping, we'd FOLD. We might eat but not much else. And I can't get Cuban cigars. Why? well, they're damn COMMIES. Bah. The world is nuts.

• Upvote 1

Yeah... I go back & forth on that one as the decades change, in recent years I am with you. But I do wish that sites that were more militarized were targeted instead of civilian populations...  By definition war is the opposite of civilization.

Hard to imagine a more military target than Hirosima; out of the 75 thousand or so that died, 20 thousand were military.

From Wikipedia:

At the time of its bombing, Hiroshima was a city of both industrial and military significance. A number of military units were located nearby, the most important of which was the headquarters of Field Marshal Shunroku Hata's Second General Army, which commanded the defense of all of southern Japan,[102] and was located in Hiroshima Castle. Hata's command consisted of some 400,000 men, most of whom were on Kyushu where an Allied invasion was correctly anticipated.[103] Also present in Hiroshima were the headquarters of the 59th Army, the 5th Division and the 224th Division, a recently formed mobile unit.[104] The city was defended by five batteries of 7-and-8-centimeter (2.8 and 3.1 in) anti-aircraft guns of the 3rd Anti-Aircraft Division, including units from the 121st and 122nd Anti-Aircraft Regiments and the 22nd and 45th Separate Anti-Aircraft Battalions. In total, over 40,000 military personnel were stationed in the city.[105]

• Upvote 1

35 years ago today. I still remember, as it was yesterday. A lifechanging moment.

'“London Calling”: Without warning, the drums and guitars hit in unison, opening the song and the album with a heavy hammering groove. It’s like an inverted reggae song -- downbeat chords instead of upstrokes -- though Simonon’s spare bass boom gives it a slight dub feel. From there, it’s all Armageddon prophesying and unwillingness to lay down and die.'

http://www.billboard.com/articles/review/album-review/6406102/the-clashs-london-calling-at-35-classic-track-by-track-album-review

post-342-0-76931900-1418598671_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

In my younger days the song London Calling always came to mind when I boarded the ferry to Holyhead in Wales to catch the train to that great city.

Talking of not seeming that long ago a friend posted this on FB today which had me nodding in agreement. Do we get more sentimental parhaps coming up to Xmas and the end of another year.

post-106-0-03247900-1418645902_thumb.jpg

[Newspaper graphic describing what is, in effect, the dissolution of the power of Royal Thai Police. Rampant corruption in the system is only a secondary concern. The real intent is to break the back of the police as a force that has shown loyalty first to Thaksin. Since Thaksin’s first days in power, the police were groomed to once again become a force that could counterbalance the power of the military in politics.]

http://2bangkok.com/dissolution-of-the-office-of-the-police-commission.html

I was 73 years ago today, December 7, 1941 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. 

So, you were born in the Year of the Snake.  :)

As FDR said, a day that will live in infamy.,,IMO, there was two days of infamy. On Dec 8, 1941, those Jap bastards invaded the Philippines which was a US territory at the time. Even if they had not attacked Pearl Harbor, the attack on the PI was all the reason we needed to declare war on those inhuman, brutal, godless heathens. No one in that war suffered any more than those brave men known as the Battling Bastards of Bataan. They fought their asses off against overwhelming odds until April 9, 1942, when their commander, Gen King, felt he had no choice but to surrender. Then the real suffering came with the Bataan Death March, and for those who survived that, over 3 years of captivity in terrible hellish conditions, where many more died. I don't feel one bit bad about the dropping of Fat Man and Little Boy, and considering what all the Japs did in the PI and in China for that matter, they deserved 10 more just like those two. I am sure you have read about the Rape of Nanking, and all that took place in the PI, and even now when I do it makes my blood boil. Not just because of the cruel vicious things the Japs did at the time, but of the continual denial of same even until today, by their govt and Jap Nationalists. 

Today, the movie Unbroken comes out, which is going to show factually some of what went on in Jap POW camps. Because the movie is directed by Angelina Jolie, there is some clamoring by Jap Nationalists that she should be banned from ever entering their country again. Fvck them. If I were her, I'd say you can take your denialist lies, shove them up your ass and set fire to them.

The fucking Japs didn't give a damn about Chinese civilians or Filipino civilians, considering what they did in both countries. So they got a taste of the same. 

Sure we bombed 2 cities. Then gave em the Marshall plan, along with Germany. And now? Well, Detroit LOOKS bombed. We have no electronics industry to speak of, and the "losers" ? Seem to be doing much better than we are. Meanwhile, we've sent all the experts, dies, molds, machinery and know how to China so the biggest commie country on the planet is now a huge economy and we are dependent as hell on em. If they stopped shipping, we'd FOLD. We might eat but not much else. And I can't get Cuban cigars. Why? well, they're damn COMMIES. Bah. The world is nuts.

Like the old saying goes, the Allies may have won the war, but Japan and Germany have won the peace.