Obituaries

• 1 month later...

The Boeing 747. 

Say those three numbers slowly and with reverence.  What monger among us hasn't been at one time or another on a 747 heading to carnal delights in LOS?  Between work and holidays I must have been on a 747 several dozens of times over the past near four decades.  And those rare times when I got upgraded to the first-class section on the upper deck?  Closer to heaven, that's all I can say.

No worries, though, I'll still be on that sturdy bird for years to come.  Korean Air, partner of Delta which I mostly fly, bought up the last of the commercial 747s in the mid 20-teens.  There are those who believe that the 747 will still be in some form of service 100 years after its introduction.  Let it be so.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/08/1141578966/boeing-747-last-jet

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/06/business/last-boeing-747/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/dec/08/last-boeing-747-rolls-off-line-after-half-a-century-of-production

• Like 1
1 hour ago, soiboy said:

The Boeing 747. 

Say those three numbers slowly and with reverence.  What monger among us hasn't been at one time or another on a 747 heading to carnal delights in LOS?  Between work and holidays I must have been on a 747 several dozens of times over the past near four decades.  And those rare times when I got upgraded to the first-class section on the upper deck?  Closer to heaven, that's all I can say.

No worries, though, I'll still be on that sturdy bird for years to come.  Korean Air, partner of Delta which I mostly fly, bought up the last of the commercial 747s in the mid 20-teens.  There are those who believe that the 747 will still be in some form of service 100 years after its introduction.  Let it be so.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/dec/08/last-boeing-747-rolls-off-line-after-half-a-century-of-production

Yes, I once flew from Tokyo to Texas on one of Japan Airlines 747's. Was only half full so they asked if I wanted to go up to the upper deck which I did. Sat near a basketball player contracted to a Chinese team. Interesting guy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 11:27 AM, Woodie said:

basketball

A Russian basketball prodigy raised in Pattaya, Mr. Alexey Sobolev, passed away at the young age of 19 years old after he was electrocuted by a defective lighting pole at a basketball court in the Banglamung district.

Sobolev had gone to fetch a basketball that had bounced away and landed near an iron fence and the deadly power pole. While soaking in sweat, the victim accidentally touched the pole with a power leakage and flopped to the ground, losing consciousness and tragically later passing away.

13 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

A Russian basketball prodigy raised in Pattaya, Mr. Alexey Sobolev, passed away at the young age of 19 years old after he was electrocuted by a defective lighting pole at a basketball court in the Banglamung district.

Sobolev had gone to fetch a basketball that had bounced away and landed near an iron fence and the deadly power pole. While soaking in sweat, the victim accidentally touched the pole with a power leakage and flopped to the ground, losing consciousness and tragically later passing away.

OMG, what a terrible accident. Poor guy.

On 12/8/2022 at 9:57 PM, soiboy said:

The Boeing 747. 

I have never flown on a 747.  It was always my desire to do so, since when they first came out it was like you final made it to the top type of thing to me.  But, maybe it will still happen.  Since I will be flying out of the states to PH and then to TH.  Granted the PH to TH will be a normal jet type.

• Like 1

Maybe they inside of 747 was different in  the 1960s and 1970s from what it is now, but I flew in a 747 in 1991 and didn't find it different from the old A-300. I later flew in an A-340 from the same company. Th emain diffrence is the company design inside. I then flew many times with Emirates. A-330, B-777, or A-380 are all the same with an exception only. I had once a seat in the economic section in the upper desk. I reckon that more comfortable. 

I don't think it's worth dreaming of flying a B747. Any first class in any long range Aircraft would be as good as B747's. It would be like dreaming of driving a car of the 1960's for a long journey. Modern solutions are better (As long as you don't fly Vietynamese airlines).

• Like 2

I may have mentioned this before but my mother flew on a 747, Sydney to Auckland, way back before the fuel crisis. After they took off the Captain announced that they were going for the commercial record for that trip. They had a massive tail wind of something like 150 knots. Did the trip in less than 2 hours. Normally about 3.5 hours.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Zeppie said:

PG.......couldnt you just let me have my dream.........

747 are now old craps. You don't lose anything unless you find a collector model. I flew a 747 when I had been from HK to the Phils 10 years ago. I didn't have the impression of flying in an old monument but rather in an old mid-range old thing. Take it easy. The world has better to to offer you in the 2020s.

3 hours ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

747 are now old craps. You don't lose anything unless you find a collector model. I flew a 747 when I had been from HK to the Phils 10 years ago. I didn't have the impression of flying in an old monument but rather in an old mid-range old thing. Take it easy. The world has better to to offer you in the 2020s.

I'll try to take it easy, but that dream is just shattered.......

On 12/17/2022 at 4:47 AM, Sylvester said:

OMG, what a terrible accident. Poor guy.

Agreed. I know it's possible to get a "permanent" visit from two guys on a motocy if you mess with the wrong people, but I reckon the biggest risk to most of us expats and visitors is electrocution or being run over by a drunk or self absorbed driver texting on their cell phone.

4 hours ago, soiboy said:

So, I guess doing a week on the original Route 66 in a 1968 Camaro Z28 would be horrible.  And lets not even think about the Mille Miglia in a 1955 Mercedes 300SL.

Is the Route 66 actually one that could be driven east to west or vice versa?. I heard that it was not possible to do that. It was only possible to do the trip by using other highways.

19 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Is the Route 66 actually one that could be driven east to west or vice versa?. I heard that it was not possible to do that. It was only possible to do the trip by using other highways.

You can no longer drive uninterrupted but many sections are still intact.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Legendary Canadian folk singer Ian Tyson, aged 89.  Ian and Sylvia were THE folk singing duo in the 1960s.  My big sister is 12 years older than me, and was a serious folkie in her teen years during the late 1950s to mid-1960s (the epoch that immediately preceded the hippie epoch).  As a mere infant/young child I subconsciously absorbed her folk music like a sponge.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ian-tyson-dead-at-89-1.6699778

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Soju said:

As a kid I remember watching him on CBC in the 1970s. He had a weekly TV show with his wife; but, if memory serves me, they were doing country music at that time. Didn't know about the earlier folk era.  RIP.

Edit: I just checked and "The Ian Tyson Show" was on CTV not CBC and the show continued until 1975.

From the 1980s onwards he increasingly got more into "cowboy" music as opposed to "country" music, per se.  His song "Alberta's Child" has become sort of a de facto anthem for western Canada.

A really nice interview with Ian and Sylvia from around 2010 or so before he started to have a series of health issues.  Terrific genuine talent who had quite a career.

• Like 1

This is the week we lost a saint and a SoB , the saint will always be. Pele the man who made the beautiful game and was a  decent individual and the SoB goes to pope Benedict, a Losey homophobe who covered up child abuse cases and we lost beautiful ppl who were victims.

So Pele enjoy playing the game in heaven's playground and Benedict Rot in Hell :girl_devil:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...