Obituaries

Tomorrow, December 08th marks the day John Lennon was assassinated in New York City in 1980. That was 35 years ago!!! Hard to believe three and a half decades have passed since this remarkable talent left us. Also hard to be believe is, if he had lived he would have turned 75 last month. Goodness, makes me feel old. 

God rest his soul.  :hi:

Tomorrow, December 08th marks the day John Lennon was assassinated in New York City in 1980. That was 35 years ago!!! Hard to believe three and a half decades have passed since this remarkable talent left us. Also hard to be believe is, if he had lived he would have turned 75 last month. Goodness, makes me feel old. 

God rest his soul.  :hi:

• 2 weeks later...

poor Lemmy ,  he rocked till the end .but his last few gigs he was pretty sick and was below par ... he was still planning to tour 2016 so he kept busy but many feared he was very ill and sad to see him go. I didn't realize he was 70 ...wow!, time flies..  Also loved the Hawkwind era as well

Always the debate was he Heavy rock or Heavy metal or neither ... ( heavy rock IMO)

Truly old School i think....they dont make em like him any more

RIP

I think he'd have probably just said, Rock n' Roll, Tomcat... But I'm with you, it's heavy rock

But what I do remember is that, when I was into punk in the mid seventies, him & both his bands Hawkwind & Motorhead were just about the only heavy rocks outfits which were both loved & also condoned by the punk movement!.. Now that's really something!

And as for my first hearing of Silver Machine in 1971 at a market stall, whilst out shopping with my mum at eleven years old... It totally blew my mind & turned my whole world upside down... It changed me & helped make me... Really did!

I went back a few weeks later with all my combined Xmas & birthday money and bought my first ever seven inch singles, Silver Machine, Hawkwind, Virginia Plain, Roxy Music & Jeepster, T Rex.... What a way to start a music collection!!!!

And haven't looked back since

• Upvote 1

I went back a few weeks later with all my combined Xmas & birthday money and bought my first ever seven inch singles, Silver Machine, Hawkwind, Virginia Plain, Roxy Music & Jeepster, T Rex.... What a way to start a music collection!!!!

And haven't looked back since

ha ha i bought all records those also ....i love all those mentioned

never got to see Lemmy live though but kept with his health developments in MetalHAmmer Magazine .I think he collapsed at one gig last year from memory

post-405-0-91191500-1451384836_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

A great loss to music indeed two in the one day !!! 

I loved the Specials they were the music of my youth I saw them in concert countless times .

Lemmy was the man , the real deal, the rocker , if reports are to believed and they probably are true he did a bottle of Jack Daniels a day and smoked like a train ...pure rock and roll I'm surprised he made 70 .

I saw a documentary about him a few years ago and he put his secret of longevity down to never touching heroin and staying on speed ... they don't make them like that anymore that's for sure .

I saw Motorhead once when I was a kid of about 14/15 they were supposed to be the loudest band in the world back then , the proper Motorhead line up of Lemmy ,Fast Eddie and Philthy Taylor and indeed they were loud .... I was still deaf in school the next day .

I remember proudly telling my music teacher at school that I had seen the mighty Motorhead he shook his head and said "That's not music son " 

Rock and roll  :character0007:

• Upvote 2

ha ha i bought all records those also ....i love all those mentioned

never got to see Lemmy live though but kept with his health developments in MetalHAmmer Magazine .I think he collapsed at one gig last year from memory

Bloody hell, Tomcat, that's a coincidence & a half with those seven inch singles!.. BTW,I very much share your taste in those cutely exquisite little LB's too!!!

Shame you never got to see the great man in action, I only saw him a few times at a couple of the Brixton Academy all nighter's that he used to pull... But I have also got a slightly more dubious claim to fame, for getting pissed with him a few times in Stingfellow's (London, not Patts 555)... But I went into that story in detail on one of Jim's threads so I won't gild the lily & name drop too much.

Here's the original Hawkwind version of Motorhead... Bit softer with the ole' Roy Wood sax & oboe sound in the background... Violas, violins & all sorts going on... I love it!!

Sad news... Just heard that Suzy (AKA, Suzy Salami) has just died!

I've heard that the cause was lung cancer, but I'm really not sure of any details?.. But there had been a bit of a buzz going on about her illness since Xmas.. All her chums were calling it an anxiety attack, bless em'

She wasn't actually my type, but I always liked her & thought she was a lot of fun... And what an almighty addition to the scene, she was!

She's going to be missed by a lot of people!

R.I.P. Suzy

• Upvote 3