Obituaries

7 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

A case could be made that Howe was the best ever. Only Gretzky has more goals but unlike the Great One, Howe was a rough and tumble guy that played old school hockey. RIP

No kidding no wonder they called it a Gordie  Howe hat trick " when u got a goal, assist  and got into a fight 

2 hours ago, SiamSam said:

My recollection is he was always a gentleman on the ice. Old fashion hockey before the days of helmets and Ninja Turtle protective sports gear. 

Yes true... until you crossed him or one of his team mates,  then u were  more than likely  going to be on the bad side of one his legendarily razor sharp elbows

• 4 weeks later...

Actress Caroline Aherne has died at the age of 52 after a battle with cancer.

The BAFTA-winning creator of the Royle Family and Mrs Merton died yesterday at her home in Timperley, Greater Manchester.

"Caroline Aherne has sadly passed away after a brave battle with cancer," her publicist Neil Redding said in a statement today.

"The Bafta award-winning writer and comedy actor died earlier today at her home in Timperley, Greater Manchester. She was 52.

Caroline was also known for her work in 'The Mrs Merton Show' and 'The Fast Show' and most recently, she narrated the Channel 4 reality TV series 'Gogglebox'.

Caroline and her brother were both born with retina cancer and she later suffered from the disease in her bladder and her lungs. She took time out from 'Gogglebox' to reportedly fight throat cancer but returned to the show earlier this year.

Speaking in 2014, she said: "My brother and I were born with cancer of the eyes, the retina, my mum told us only special people get cancer. I must be very special because I have had it in my lungs and bladder as well."

TV presenter Piers Morgan was one of the first stars to take to Twitter to pay tribute to Caroline, writing: "RIP Caroline Aherne, 52. Another brilliant talent gone far too soon. Her Mrs Merton character was comedy genius"

Caroline was married to Peter Hook of the rock band New Order from 1994 until 1997.

Caroline Aherne lost her battle with cancer today at the age of 52.

She will be remembered as one of the UK's brightest comedy talents, both as a writer and an actress.

An extremely talented and very funny woman who will be sadly missed

R.I.P. Caroline

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SiamSam said:

Garry Marshall dead at 81

Garry was especially for sitcoms that resonated with the American people.  The mid-late 50's were glory days, as least if youwere white.

Post Korea and before the turmoil of Vietnam.  The birth of rock 'n roll. A little before my time but life was good. It was truly Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley was set in the same era.

His other monster hit was Mork and Mindy which allowed Robin Williams to showcase his talent. If any other actor was Mork, then the whole show might have been lame.  Mindy played a alien hag.  Lucky for her as otherwise she's have to be a fag hag.

RIP Garry.

• 1 month later...

Gene Wilder must be one of the funniest guys ever 

Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are pure class and have had me crying with laughter over the years .

Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman together in Young Frankenstein was some combination - Werewolf ? There wolf ? 

What a funny guy :rofl:

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Jimslim said:

Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman together in Young Frankenstein was some combination

For me one of the best moments in "Young Frankenstein" was Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle doing there stage routine of "Putting on the Ritz". Classic and absolute genius. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Leonard Cohen dead at 82.

This story is just breaking. More details to come.

His latest album was released just a few weeks ago. I think it is one of his best works. In one of the songs from the album (You Want It Darker) he kept repeating "...I am ready my Lord." Perhaps prophetic. 

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/music/news/singer-leonard-cohen-dies-aged-82/ar-AAk9Gg0?li=AAggNb9

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2016 at 7:07 AM, sustra2 said:

Fidel Castro "el leader maximo" died today

One my one and only visit to Cuba I was more than surprised to see there was not really any cult of personality about Fidel unlike a certain SE country we all visit and the recently departed.  While there were quite a lot of billboards with posters of Che Guevara dotted around the country I didn't see one of Fidel. 

• Upvote 1