Obituaries

Condolences for those that were fans. I never was a Prince fan. He obviously was a big star as I had to even stop watching CNBC to get away from the coverage. I did have the hots for Apollonia back in the Purple Rain movie days. Party like it's 1999 was probably the song hardest to avoid back around the turn of the century.  

• Upvote 1

Prince was notorious for staunchly defending access to his material. Unauthorized recordings are scrubbed from the Internet quickly and his music is almost impossible to find online outside of the catalog of his music currently streaming on Tidal. When a rare 1983 pre-Purple Rainperformance at First Avenue in Minneapolissurfaced, it got taken down from most sources in a matter of hours. The same is true for most of Prince's iconic music video library.

Prince's half time performance at the 2007 SuperBowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys

• Upvote 1

I heard there are unreleased sessions with Prince & Miles Davis, once they figure out who has rights to all this material since there is no will & the details resolving this may take years, I guess they will use the Dylan & Hendrix model & methodically issue remastered Prince releases for years to come.

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I was just coming of the age when I had barely begun to notice news stories when this Safer report appeared. Needless to say I was dumbstruck & my childhood faith in all I had been told was absolutely true & right began to be questioned, for this I am forever grateful to Morley & others who spoke truth to power. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

RIP Harambe.

Harambe was murdered by zoo officials after a little boy managed to climb into his habitat. 

As a kid, I enjoyed going to the Bronx Zoo. In the monkey house there was a mirror and above that mirror was written something like Most Dangerous Species.

harambe.jpg

Thank's for posting these Pdoggg,  Just listening to Ali on the Howard Cossel Interview makes me smile and remember how great a Man Ali truly was,  He will always be the greatest to me.   RIP  Muhammad Ali  .

• Upvote 2

Posting this since we have a lot of Brits here who are music lovers & this may have been lost in the long shadow of The Champ's passing yesterday:

Dave Swarbrick, a fiddler who electrified the British folk tradition as a member of the band Fairport Convention, died on Friday. He was 75... Mr. Swarbrick and Fairport Convention were prime movers in trad-rock, which connected the 1960s ferment of folk-rock and psychedelia to a deep British heritage of storytelling ballads and nimble dance tunes. His fiddle playing had the deliberately rough-hewed sound of rural tradition; his tone could be sweet or scratchy, his phrases songful and melancholy or propulsive and gnarled...

Fairport Convention, which had started as a folk-rock group strongly influenced by American styles, brought in Mr. Swarbrick as a sideman on the 1969 album “Unhalfbricking.” The Fairport version of the traditional song “A Sailor’s Life” emerged as an 11-minute maelstrom, with Mr. Swarbrick’s fiddle rising alongside Richard Thompson’s lead guitar, bringing echoes of past generations into the jam.

I saw this early '70s version of FC with Dave without Thompson (video); I have become a massive fan of Richard Thompson since the mid 90s & have been digging through FC's early catalogue & realized how important Swarbrick was to their sound. RIP

(On a coincidental tangent I'm seeing Richard Thompson later this week in a very small club here, he's playing a one-off gig with a string section)

• Upvote 2