Obituaries

I'm surprised the Bible is not in that list.

Assuming your comment is not meant to be facetious  :biggrin: , in the USA we have the separation of church and state in our constitution (First Amendment/Establishment Clause) which makes it illegal to use the Christian Bible or any other religious text to teach/promote a particular religion in a public school. However, the Bible can be used as a text to teach 'about' religion in a comparative religion context.

• 3 weeks later...

SHIT.... Just heard that Dan Hicks as just popped his clogs.... Damm, what a shame, I really liked him, he was an incredible talent

This is the recent death that really got to me as well. Saw him all those years ago back in  the Hot Licks' prime years as well as just a couple of years ago with a new excellent band.  What isn't as well known is that Dan was the drummer of the, arguably, original San Fran Haight Ashbury proto-hippie rock band The Charlatans. They predate the Dead (or the Warlocks) & the Airplane, etc.. & all. They were the first to advertise gigs with that style of art noveau-y poster that became signature for that whole scene & they had this legendary extended gig at the Red Dog Saloon just over the Nevada border one summer that apparently was drenched in acid for band & audiences & that predates the Dead's Kesey/Owsley gigs. It ignited much of the scene's early copping on to old west long hair styles, indian beads... He was a real original talent & I still listen to his music.

Also the same day that Paul Kantner from the Airplane died their original lead singer died as well, I think her name was Signe Andersen, good voice too. She quit to raise her baby instead & Grace joined.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Must be the dying season................

They're dropping like flies..................

Gotta check the Obits every morning to be certain I'm still alive......................

Comedian, actor, writer and producer Garry Shandling, known for “It’s Garry Shandling’s Show”

and “The Larry Sanders Show,” has died, the Los Angeles Police Department confirmed.

He was 66.

Those were both funny and very entertaining TV.....The It's Garry Shandling's Show was way ahead of it's time......

He was on Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee with Seinfeld recently....He didn't look any too healthy...

RIP Garry................................Funny man.............

• Upvote 1

The Larry Sanders Show was one of the greatest tv comedies ever, just brilliant. Gervais has said it was a prime influence on The Office. RIP

.. and when he finally met him it was uncomfortable and awkward.

I'd never heard of Shandling prior to seeing this with him and Gervais some years ago.

Since then I've had no interest in discovering any more about Shandling. Rude, difficult, and unfunny.

The full thing over 5 parts:  

Your point is taken DC but I don't believe it grants a right to dance on his grave........

There are likely many celebrities who would be disliked in their personal lives but that should not distract from their contributions to their craft........

In my opinion your comments are in poor taste................

Ricky Gervais said on Twitter:

"RIP the great Garry Shandling. Surely, one of the most influential comedians of a generation." 

If Gervais, who was apparently offended by Shandling, offered kind words on his passing, perhaps it should be left at that.....

I'd never heard of Shandling prior to seeing this with him and Gervais some years ago.

Since then I've had no interest in discovering any more about Shandling. Rude, difficult, and unfunny.

Funny thing, I saw that taping just 2 weeks ago & thought Shandling came off as a real paranoid twat too, comedians are generally known to be at least neurotic if not actual damaged goods & I figured that was the case with him. But the list of people sharing their moments with him about his generosity has made me reconsider, altho I'm sure he was pretty neurotic. 

I was involved in the past with that kind of work sometimes & if just one thing is off: a publicist didn't relay messages, the crew shows up at the wrong time or is let into the house by mistake or breaks something or upsets the neighbors (or dogs) by their actions or they blow a circuit or it is long involved set up & production & he was expecting a quick interview & has stuff to do or he just argued with his wife or the check didn't clear, etc....  a million things can go wrong. I remember once a fire starting from hot lights in an office & the sprinklers went on & another time an actor wouldn't do anything until he got the check first (there are no accountants on location). Lots of things can go south especially when intruding in someone's home. Who knows?

This is the recent death that really got to me as well. Saw him all those years ago back in  the Hot Licks' prime years as well as just a couple of years ago with a new excellent band.  What isn't as well known is that Dan was the drummer of the, arguably, original San Fran Haight Ashbury proto-hippie rock band The Charlatans. They predate the Dead (or the Warlocks) & the Airplane, etc.. & all. They were the first to advertise gigs with that style of art noveau-y poster that became signature for that whole scene & they had this legendary extended gig at the Red Dog Saloon just over the Nevada border one summer that apparently was drenched in acid for band & audiences & that predates the Dead's Kesey/Owsley gigs. It ignited much of the scene's early copping on to old west long hair styles, indian beads... He was a real original talent & I still listen to his music.

Also the same day that Paul Kantner from the Airplane died their original lead singer died as well, I think her name was Signe Andersen, good voice too. She quit to raise her baby instead & Grace joined.

Thanks for that, Hefe... I often learn many real gems from your posts, I'm really grateful that you take the time to respond!

Whoooah, talk about the pot calling the kettle black, monkey boy!... You jumped all over me when I was slightly disparaging about terylene Woggie.. And now you're writing stuff like this...

You meanie!!

Moving on to matters of greater gravity, it's with heavy heart that I have to announce the departure of Sylvia Anderson, voice artist of Lady Penelope on Thunderbirds & wife to Gerry Anderson, (who departed this mortal coil back in 2012). She also supplied many voices for Joe 90, Capt'n Scarlet & Stingray... To name but a few.

This probably won't mean anything to our colonial friends out there, but to any Brits & Irishmen who grew up in the 60's & 70's, this will come as devastating news... I myself will be observing a day of silence & reflection to help cope with part of my youth that has now been completely decimated.

If any BM's out there are feeling distressed by this news, please feel free to PM, & I will do what i can to offer emotional support at this time.

post-224-0-20182900-1458970450_thumb.jpg post-224-0-60635100-1458971810_thumb.pngpost-224-0-54261300-1458971838_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-30343600-1458970044_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-62844800-1458970053_thumb.jpg

Couldn't resist it....

What a shame, R.I.P. Ronnie Corbet

Two teas please.

"Milk and sugar?"

.. No, two T's!!

At least we're agreed on this one  :biggrin:

I always very much enjoyed the Two Ronnies.

When I was young (living at home with Mum & Dad) I found his monologues in that comfy armchair the most boring part of the show. Once I'd grown-up and developed a proper sense of humour I found that one of the best bits.

Loved Ronnie Corbett .. R.I.P.

• Upvote 1