Obituaries

Easy Listening's Val Doonican dies aged 88. 

That's sad.

I liked Val Doonican and remember several of his songs from back when I was a child, I even remember most of the words to this day, they were enjoyable and harmless.

He consistently came across as a nice decent fellow.

Ken "The Snake" Stabler, who starred at Alabama before becoming a Super Bowl-winning quarterback with the Raiders, has died. He was 69.

I have always disliked the Raiders....

But it was hard to dislike Kenny Stabler....

There well never been another quite like him.......

Y'all turn down a glass for Kenny tonight.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cilla Black left the building earlier today.

she made a fortune from absolutely no talent....a wardrobe check in the The Cavern,got to know the Beatles and their manager,and frauded a career in the music industry....talk about being in the right place at the right time...!.....anyway..thats an obituary you wont read in the papers..!

• Upvote 2

A great Giant, RIP Giff.

What can you say about Frank?  He was the face of the franchise from day one till the end in 1964.  The Golden Boy.  He was one of the first true superstars of the NFL that gave the league national appeal.  Drafted #1 out of USC, he played both sides of the ball.  HB, WR, DB, and later almost exclusivly as a flanker, where he made a living catching td passes from Y.A. Tittle.  Frank retired for 1 season in 1961 because of a devastating neck injury he suffered at the hands of Eagle DT Chuck Bednarick in Yankee Stadium in 1960.

Frank was a star on, AND off the field during his career. After retirement from the game, he went into broadcasting.  Frank became a national figure as the play-by-play voice of Monday Night Football.

Inducted Into The Hall Of Fame in 1977

Gifford was an integral part of the Monday Night Football broadcasting crew.  Here's a behind the scenes clip between the broadcasters on how to handle the announcement of John Lennon's assassination. 

http://youtu.be/HsrFWwmb0H4

• 1 month later...
Berra-isms (colloquial expressions that lack logic) are now countless, and many of them are just 

attributed to Berra, even if he never actually said them. As he so perfectly put it: “I never said 

most of the things I said.” Here are 50 of our favorites.

1. When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

2. You can observe a lot by just watching.

3. It ain’t over till it’s over

4. It’s like déjà vu all over again.

5. No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.

6. Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.

7. A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.

8. Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.

9. We made too many wrong mistakes.

10. Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.

11. You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.

12. You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.

13. I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.

14. Never answer an anonymous letter.

15. Slump? I ain’t in no slump… I just ain’t hitting.

16. How can you think and hit at the same time?

17. The future ain’t what it used to be.

18. I tell the kids, somebody’s gotta win, somebody’s gotta lose. Just don’t fight about it. Just 

try to get better.

19. It gets late early out here.

20. If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s going to stop them.

21. We have deep depth.

22. Pair up in threes.

23. Why buy good luggage, you only use it when you travel.

24. You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not 

get there.

25. All pitchers are liars or crybabies.

26. Even Napoleon had his Watergate.

27. Bill Dickey is learning me his experience.

28. He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.

29. It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much.

30. I can see how he (Sandy Koufax) won twenty-five games. What I don’t understand is how he lost five.

31. I don’t know (if they were men or women fans running naked across the field). They had bags 

over their heads.

32. I’m a lucky guy and I’m happy to be with the Yankees. And I want to thank everyone for making 

this night necessary.

33. I’m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.

34. In baseball, you don’t know nothing.

35. I never blame myself when I’m not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. 

After all, if I know it isn’t my fault that I’m not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?

36. I never said most of the things I said.

37. It ain’t the heat, it’s the humility.

38. If you ask me anything I don’t know, I’m not going to answer.

39. I wish everybody had the drive he (Joe DiMaggio) had. He never did anything wrong on the field. 

I’d never seen him dive for a ball, everything was a chest-high catch, and he never walked off the field.

40. So I’m ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face.

41. Take it with a grin of salt.

42. (On the 1973 Mets) We were overwhelming underdogs.

43. The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.

44. Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets.

45. Mickey Mantle was a very good golfer, but we weren’t allowed to play golf during the season; only at 

spring training.

46. You don’t have to swing hard to hit a home run. If you got the timing, it’ll go.

47. I’m lucky. Usually you’re dead to get your own museum, but I’m still alive to see mine.

48. If I didn’t make it in baseball, I won’t have made it workin’. I didn’t like to work.

49. If the world were perfect, it wouldn’t be.

50. A lot of guys go, ‘Hey, Yog, say a Yogi-ism.’ I tell ’em, ‘I don’t know any.’ They want me to make one 

up. I don’t make ’em up. I don’t even know when I say it. They’re the truth. And it is the truth. I don’t know.

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/news/pop-country-singer-billy-joe-royal-dead-at-73/ar-AAfcMPN?li=AA59yo

Pop-country singer Billy Joe Royal dead at 73

Pop and country act 
. The Georgia-bred singer died on Tuesday night while at home in North Carolina. Singer BJ Thomas was one of the first to share the news, 
, "My best friend Billy Joe Royal, died this morning. He was a sweet and talented man. Never a bad word. One of a kind." 

Royal was signed to Columbia records in the 1960s as a pop act, where he released hits like "Down in the Boondocks," "Hush," and "Cherry Hill Park." He then bounced around smaller labels before embracing the music of his adopted homtown, Nashville, in the late 1980s. His country hits included "
" and "
" -- his most recent release was a gospel record titled 
His First Gospel Album

He was slated to tour this fall with Ronnie McDowell

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/music/news/three-dog-night-singer-cory-wells-dies-at-74/ar-BBminqE?li=AAacUQk

Three Dog Night singer Cory Wells dies at 74
/AP

Cory Wells, the American musician best known for his work with the band Three Dog Night, died unexpectedly on Tuesday in Dunkirk, New York, according to a 
. Wells was 74.

"Cory was like a brother in so many ways," Three Dog Night's Danny Hutton said in the statement. "We had been together since 1965 and I am in shock at this sudden loss." The band's keyboardist Jimmy Greenspoon passed away 

Born Emil Lewandowski in Buffalo, New York, Wells formed a band while serving in the U.S. Air Force and continued playing music in various ensembles after returning home. Wells later nabbed a gig as a member of the Whisky A Go-Go's house band, The Enemys, and after Sonny and Cher invited him and Hutton to tour with them, the two decided to form a new band with three lead singers.

Joined by their backing band, Three Dog Night had 21 consecutive Top 40 singles, including the No. 1 hits "Mama Told Me (Not To Come)," "Joy To The World," and "Black and White." Many also remember the band for its 1969 cover of Harry Nilsson's "One."

Wells is survived by his wife of 50 years, Mary; daughters Coryann Wells and Dawn Marie Cussins (William); and 5 grandchildren.

• 4 weeks later...

I could spend hours on Youtube watching videos of Jonah Lomu in action. As Willie says, probably the greatest rugby player ever, and possibly the sport's first real superstar.

I remember a few years ago, going to watch Ireland vs Scotland in the Six nations. Myself and a few colleagues were brought by a supplier on a coach trip to the match. The MD of the supplier at the time, was a guy called Ian Miln, who was accompanied by his brother Kenny, both former Scottish rugby internationals. Kenny told us the story of when Scotland met the All Blacks, and Gavin Hastings gave the Scots lads the full battle cry before kick off, relating to Lomu. " Jonah fucking who?" he screamed, "he is a big lump of nothing, overhyped, we can take him out no problem, don't be afraid of him, he is nothing, we can control him, believe it, etc etc!" he continued to scream.

Five minutes into the match, Lomu got the ball, ran straight through 6 Scots players and over the line for a try. The Scots players all as one then turned to Hasting and said "do you Jonah fuckin' who now, you twat"

• Upvote 2