The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

Yes, but see, we don't use Google in this thread, and perhaps you missed the title;

The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

It's the same for the photo thread, we would like to think that people are answering these questions without having to look them up on the web and it's all on the honor system.

Anyway, PD is correct and I doubt he had to use google.

This one was easy for PD and myself, I lived on Koh Phangan - the next island over-  for 6 high seasons and PD has spent a bit of time there as well. It's a beautiful part of the world.

A bit off-topic, but for what it's worth, regarding the murder investigations; Burmese people work on these islands doing manual labor the Thai's don't want to do; anything from construction to making beds and cleaning up at resorts, working as servers in low-paying restaurants, etc......and frankly they are treated like shit and get no respect from the locals at all. It's very similar to the Mexican immigrants who come to America to work, oftentimes illegally; most of the Burmese leave their families,  risk their freedom and sometimes their lives just to go work in Thailand, all because, as one nice little Burmese girl once told me "I can make 6000 baht per month here, in Burma I can only make 3000 baht."  That's 100 bucks; for a month's work, doing shitty work for 10 to 12 hours a day.  On Phangan and Koh Tao and Samui they can make 200 bucks, but have to put up with the indignities of being an illegal laborer as well as the cruel comments and dirty looks thrown their way from Thai people on a daily basis. And half that usually gets sent back to Burma.  Cambodians - same same.

Just from my experience after meeting a few dozen of these people, I feel like the Burmese are much nicer and friendlier than the Thai's, and much less likely to rip you off or screw you over in some way. Murder or serious crimes? Extremely unlikely, IMO.  Which is why I am extremely skeptical at the ongoing murder investigation; gee, you mean a few Burmese migrants confessed to the crime after being interrogated for hours in private by the Thai police and not having legal representation? Shocking  :indifferent0018:

• Upvote 2

On that note, in the Issan dialect, what do you call the 20 baht bill or say 20 baht?

I heard this one once - probably from you! - but I'll be damned if I remember it. 

Too many years of hitting the bong, it's affected my short-term memory  :(

BB has spent some time in Issan and loved it there, didn't want to ever leave,  maybe he knows?  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

OTOP stands for One Tambon (similar idea to village, but bigger area), One Product. This was a scheme initiated by the first Thaksin gov't to promote specialized Thai goods made for sale so each area could generate income producing local goods.

It's not really done all that well, as there are many similar items, but some items have done well, even being exported out.

• Upvote 1

That's like asking where did sex originate.... I'm sure it goes back to some cave somewhere in the far recesses of time when some kid put on his sister's fur pelt & put her berry color on his lips. 

And then Pacman made a move on him   :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

Good answer mate ! I gotta admit your answer made me chuckle, but is it correct?? That's what we need to know

The way this thread works is the guy who asks the question is the quizmaster which means he knows the answer.

Questions to which you don't know the answer should go elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

who painted this masterpiece , a triptych , priceless of course

I forgot that if you left  button it you can enlarge the image , anyway i dont think old matey signed his glories .. or maybe a crypic signature. i cant remember now.. There is a history in this as there are many old works , in respect of the meanings in the work. 

post-405-0-10534700-1412538317_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

damn it ,i was reading about  that Pope painting the same book i got the idea for the Rubens picture and now i got a complete blank .. grrrrr

RE EDIT .. im sure Willies correct ...i just could not dig it out my mind even after reading Matt Collings book about four old Masters . and they made a TV series about the book ... great stuff.  I only used to like Modern Art until i read an Anne Rice novel linking Vampires in the 17th Century and the artists at the time