The Stigma of Pattaya

bumblebee

While most of us love the place to varying degrees, I doubt many of us would wear a T-shirt declaring this affection , either while in town or more so when at home.  There is just that embarrassment of admitting you go to Pattaya to the outside world.  So who here is man enough to wear an "I love Pattaya" T-shirt and if not then why?

For one thing with my skinny boney fat bellied torso, I would not be seen outside my house in a T shirt or singlet or any other form of scanty body hugging top garment.

For seconds, while I do laugh sometimes at good messages, I think most message T shirts are dull & silly, especially the "I Love ..." kind.

For thirds, I take your point bb. In Australia there is a strong negative feeling about "Thai brides" as they call them, Thai bar girls, and Thailand in general (seen very much as "the brothel of Asia"). [Yes, mainstream Australians are a somewhat precious holier-than-thou bunch, that's correct.]

Fourth: in Vietnam where I live, Thailand is the arch soccer enemy; the 2 countries often clashing in Asia Cup, etc., finals. So there's no love for Thailand here and it would not be wise for furreners to wear any form of love Thailand message.

What is this stigma that you speak of ?

Just the general shame of admitting we go to Pattaya.  Like Ken says about Australia and it's the same in Britain and Ireland, Pattaya has a really bad reputation and I doubt many of us like being straight with people back home and saying "I go to Pattata, love the place."  Not sure how Patts is perceived in North America.

Just the general shame of admitting we go to Pattaya. Like Ken says about Australia and it's the same in Britain and Ireland, Pattaya has a really bad reputation and I doubt many of us like being straight with people back home and saying "I go to Pattata, love the place." Not sure how Patts is perceived in North America.

Same same as far as reputation goes , I was just being a bit sarcastic

Until The Hangover 2 movie I'm not sure most Americans though much about Thailand. It was just some far off exotic place. It is a damn long trip the average American will likely never make. Most probably have no knowledge of Pattaya except perhaps ex military guys. The five part Sky? TV series about Thailand and the lady boy series have probably never aired in the US. But just in case I usually say I went to Phuket or Hua Hin....  :biggrin:

Most Australians have a fair idea what single blokes indulge in whilst in Thailand.  I am often asked what parts of Thailand I visit and I never mention Pattaya, unless the person asking is a fellow monger who knows the score.  As mentioned above most people have never heard of the place anyway, even those who have visited Thailand.  I actually only spend about a third of each holiday in Pattaya anyway, my tolerance limit is about 6 days, I don't think I could ever stay there for weeks or months on end like some of you guys!

• Upvote 2

I've been going to Phuket regularly for the last 13 years to scuba dive and generally laze out.  So, that is where I have told my friends and colleagues that I will be for a whole month over the holidays.  And I did spend several days there over Christmas, but for the last two weeks I have been in Pattaya.

Google "Phuket" and you get informed about what a beautiful island vacation place it is.  Google "Pattaya" and you get informed about...well, what Pattaya is!  I'd rather that people I know google "Phuket" instead of "Pattaya."

• Upvote 2

As P Dogg said,  not too many people in the states even know about Pattaya; I bet if you asked 100 random people maybe 5 would  have heard about it. BUT, maybe 50 or more would associate Thailand with older guys getting laid by younger Thai girls; Yanks are just bad about geography so they don't know the cities.

When I first started traveling to Thailand I told my older brothers I would go there, with the usual ''you have GOT to see that freaking place, it's crazy", but they were/are ensconced in marriages and would never get that far in their lives for any reason. Magazine articles and internet research could show them and my friends how crazy it was but as we all know that's nothing like seeing the real thing.   Now I have grown kids, boy 23 and girl 21; would I ever tell them I have been and sometimes still go to Pattaya? Nope.  Would I want either one to ever visit there?  Nope.  There are 100 places in Thailand much better in Thailand for them to visit, even and especially the boy, I would take 'em to those places instead.

• Upvote 2

I'm currently in Patts at the mo... And believe me, the stigma's well deserved.

Sorry, but I've got to tell it like it is... Best to keep your mouth shut about the place and make out you're doing something cultural elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

Sorry, but I've got to tell it like it is... Best to keep your mouth shut about the place and make out you're doing something cultural elsewhere.

Exactly if it wasn't for what we go for and pretend we don't go for it wouldn't be worth going for .

Beaches ? Culture ? Temples ? Scenery ? yeh yeh yeh  :unsure:

I don't broadcast where i go to friends, but if they ask i wont lie because im embarrassed about the stigma associated with Pattaya.

Doesn't seem to matter too much the location... If you say you are off to Thailand... They assume the usual.

Neither confirm nor deny any antics that go on and if they ask about Pattaya i just say its popular as it cheap accommodation, lots of golf courses close (so I'm told) and reasonable beaches offshore.

The usual snigger & comments about ladyboys follows to which i reply, ''its Thailand... You just turn the light off'".

Ive been going to Phils for the past 5 years, and a Malaysian girl from work asked "why you go Philippines?, only pedos go there!" ... So if you think Pattaya has a stigma...

• Upvote 2

i never come to thailand *intending* to spend a month in pattaya but i do enjoy some conversation over my beer and chips and since most of my friends in thailand simply refuse to go elsewhere, here i am again. :drinks:

so...maybe we can make a pact? let's pretend huahin (or koh chang or samui or anyfuckingplace but pattaya) is pattaya for just one month each year. and then i can visit my friends there.

i might be delusional (i can't remember) but i'm thinking that where ever we go, that for which we come to pattaya now, will almost certainly follow.

but just in case i'm wrong, maybe we should try it for one week first time around.

and if you guys choose the first week of february for the let's-call-it-pattaya-for-a-week test --can you choose a town with a cool bar that features a really great big screen and cheap food and open at 6am?

and maybe next door to an lb massage parlor?

ah, fuck it.

where do i get my "i love pattaya-- it's got culture" tshirt?

the one with the pic of the petri dish on the back.

:character00218:

I've never even mentioned Pattaya to anyone back home, but I'd bet 2/3 suspect I'm a sex tourist as soon as I mention Thailand. The friggin Oprahs and Rickie Lakes of USA ladies tv have done so much trumpeting of hoohah about "sex slaves" that it's now on most women's radar here.

I even went so far as to tell everyone I was going to Mexico a couple of years back, but decided later that I didn't care so much that it was worth lying about the country I was visiting.

I just tell everyone I'm going to a high-end resort in Koh Samui and they don't ask much more after that.

Guest JustSumGai

Exactly if it wasn't for what we go for and pretend we don't go for it wouldn't be worth going for .

Beaches ? Culture ? Temples ? Scenery ? yeh yeh yeh  :unsure:

dead on. It's a rather seedy boomtown.