Obituaries

6 hours ago, seven said:

In memoriam.

Great video!  He seems like a real character.   RIP

He ran for president in the Libertarian primary in '16 and '20.   They don't care too much about culture wars.  On class warfare issues they oppose more tax for billionaires and also oppose NHS or Eurostyle healthcare so not for me.  

But he seemed like a fun loving guy and committed suicide, which I believe is his right, rather than have a shitty end to his life in prison. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

On class warfare issues they oppose more tax for billionaires and also oppose NHS or Eurostyle healthcare so not for me.  

Yeah, he insisted taxes were illegal quoting some law dating back to 1913. I'm just fascinated with him , but any tax evader should be caned in public, fucking parasites, imo. He was/is a brilliant mind obviously. Some say he isn't dead, but had to make an escape.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I really enjoyed Nanci Griffith.  I was fortunate to see her a couple of times in the late 1980s, the early and arguably best period of her career that really seemed to mark the arrival of a new big talent.  That talent did come to fruition in the early- to mid-1990s with broader popularity and her Grammy awards.

Unfortunately, she was something of a lost soul.  There were her health issues with cancer, and long rumors of her suffering from depression.  She lashed out at critics with a somewhat strange letter in 1999.  That set off a decade of writer's block and obscurity.  Her comeback over the last decade never really attracted anyone but her long-time fans.

RIP, Nanci.  You were an earnest artist with a beautiful voice.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/you-cant-go-home-again-2/

Caleb Wallace, who was a leader in protesting mask requirements and other COVID-19-related restrictions in central Texas, died after a monthlong battle with the coronavirus, his wife said on Saturday. “Caleb has peacefully passed on. He will forever live in our hearts and minds,” Jessica Wallace, Caleb’s wife, wrote on the family’s GoFundMe page. 

Wallace became known in his community for opposing COVID-19 restrictions and was the founder of the San Angelo Freedom Defenders, which hosted a rally to end “COVID-19 tyranny.” In the same month he was hospitalized, Wallace organized a “Freedom rally” that called for people who were “sick of the government in in control of our lives” to join their protest. “They believed the coronavirus was a hoax” San Angelo’s mayor, Brenda Gunter, told the New York Times.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Michael Lang was just 24 when he conceived the Woodstock festival.  With partners they produced the seminal rock and roll spectacle of the drug-fueled 1960s.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/woodstock-michael-lang-dead-1281681/

Cool trivia, he kept tabs on the festival riding a BSA 441 Victor Special.

1063553979_e9e855b8-145a-4714-ab7f-ff8ecadbfb1f-081919cvmediumagain.jpg.c902c1bb460929db7c05230f94a0a625.jpg

And, in the lower right hand corner note that this pic was taken by the legendary rock and roll photographer Henry Diltz.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/henry-diltz-the-stories-behind-iconic-photos-of-dolly-garth-and-more-11112/james-taylor-sweet-baby-james-album-cover-13232/

I was just a little kid during this time; being a "surprise baby" I would only years later learn of this era from my older sisters who were true hippy chicks in the 1960s.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, soiboy said:

Michael Lang was just 24 when he conceived the Woodstock festival.  With partners they produced the seminal rock and roll spectacle of the drug-fueled 1960s.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/woodstock-michael-lang-dead-1281681/

Cool trivia, he kept tabs on the festival riding a BSA 441 Victor Special.

1063553979_e9e855b8-145a-4714-ab7f-ff8ecadbfb1f-081919cvmediumagain.jpg.c902c1bb460929db7c05230f94a0a625.jpg

And, in the lower right hand corner note that this pic was taken by the legendary rock and roll photographer Henry Diltz.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/henry-diltz-the-stories-behind-iconic-photos-of-dolly-garth-and-more-11112/james-taylor-sweet-baby-james-album-cover-13232/

I was just a little kid during this time; being a "surprise baby" I would only years later learn of this era from my older sisters who were true hippy chicks in the 1960s.

Lang”s influence on the planet is immeasurable. I saw the movie about him.........which was fun to watch.

I know New Yorkers who were there. All the teens and early 20s people heard about a ”Happening” upstate and hundreds of thousands hopped in cars and vans to make the ”Scene”.

The event revolutionized the world. Hippie counter culture stopped a war. It also led to many of the amazing things we enjoy today.....including music festivals for young people.

Jimi Hendrix forged himself as the greatest guitarist ever. No band wanted to go after him. The Who were suppose to close Woodstock with their heavy rebellous sound..... but they refused to play after Hendrix, because everyone knew whatever came next would be an energy drop.

I have the album. So I think the only artist that played AFTER Hendrix was Ravi Shankar.... but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know?

• Like 1
On 9/15/2021 at 3:01 AM, seven said:

Norm Macdonald. RIP. :(

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/norm-macdonald-david-letterman-1226552/?fbclid=IwAR01g7W2eyJaQJgDlcyhHz4E0gCzBIQcMIv6EgNsAao1zc8C7AY3ZYXEblE

David Letterman Remembers Norm Macdonald: ‘He Was the Best’

“His matter-of-fact delivery leveled you,” late-night host says. “I was always delighted by his bizarre mind and earnest gaze”

damn I didn't know that Norm Macdonald died. I saw that guy live way before he was famous on TV. He called me out of the audience and started making fun of my sweater. It was hilarious.

Dave Chappelle dedicated The Closer to him. Macdonald was one Comedian that Kept it Real.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seven said:

RIP , Ronnie. One of the greatest tracks ever..

Some would say it is sacrilege even to attempt to improve upon the Wall of Sound but here's a dance mix version you can hear in Philippines clubs while dancing with a rock hard, flat chested beauty!

RIP Ronnie.

And the original Sleigh Ride....

• Like 1

oh dear, took me a long time to get around to this post. Mainly because i checked Meat's death on google only to find out that his longtime songwriting partner Jim Steinman died just before him. That saddened me even more actually [i didn't know] In my estimation Jim was one of the all time great songwriters. Nearly every song he wrote was a rock opera. A very clever lyricist indeed.

all very sad.

Anyway i first saw Meatloaf in London probably '77 or '78. This was when he was at the height of his vocal prowess, sadly after a time his voice started to decline. But, no matter. Both Meat and Jim left their mark on Roll and Roll history. I'm so glad i heard his greatness.

For any Meatloaf fans i can well recommend 'Bad for Good'  which was intended by Steinman to be Meatloaf's follow up album to Bat out of Hell but, because he had lost his voice Jim recorded it himself with Rory Dodd . A great album.

i did notice that 'I would do anything for love' the official video that is, from Bat out of hell 2, has been watched 188 million times on you tube.

Cain't argue with that.

Two absolute giants.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

his longtime songwriting partner Jim Steinman died just before him. That saddened me even more actually [i didn't know] In my estimation Jim was one of the all time great songwriters. Nearly every song he wrote was a rock opera. A very clever lyricist indeed.

I didn't know Steinman passed either. I agree, one of the best songwriters ever. Even on Meats later albums he delivered a few absolute gems.

Ellen Foley sang on Paradise originally , but didn't go on the tour , Carla DeVito replaced her. Foley did a great album Nightout  from 1979 produced by Mick Ronson and Ian Hunter who also wrote a few of the songs and played on the album. Rory Dodd was also involved.

The great Patti Russo toured with Meat for many years until they had a fallout.

17 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

For any Meatloaf fans i can well recommend 'Bad for Good'  which was intended by Steinman to be Meatloaf's follow up album to Bat out of Hell but, because he had lost his voice Jim recorded it himself with Rory Dodd

Great album, don't let the bad cover fool you. A few of E street band members participate, Little Steven, Max Weinberg and Roy Bittan.  Interesting  anecdote it was supposed to be Meats album, I had no idea.

Two great artists left us within a year.

On a happier note , Bob is kicking off next leg of Neverending tour in the American south early March. Doubt he'll make it to Pattaya this time either.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seven said:

The great Patti Russo toured with Meat for many years

i've had an evening and morning going through some of Meats stuff, some great live concerts indeed.

Patti Russo could share the stage with Lisa Fischer she is that good.  Yes, Max Weinberg and Roy Bittan along with Todd Rungren and the bass player who's name suddenly escapes me, [which is a bit worrying cos i just finished reading about him] They were also the band used on the Bat out of hell first album. Steinman himself no mean Pianist, heard Bittan play and left it to him, felt he couldn't compete with a master.

anyway, thanks JIm And Meat for everything you left us.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

i've had an evening and morning going through some of Meats stuff, some great live concerts indeed.

Same here, been watching for hours.  Kassim Sulton, also musical director in some shows. Hes right behind Patti in this video at 0:30. 

• Like 1