The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LaBambaBar

Allegedly, it refers to the side of the ship on which seafarers of a certain status would be berthed going to their destination, and then on the return leg.

Port Out Starboard Home

I seem to recall there is another theory behind the origin, but can't remember the details.

Allegedly, it refers to the side of the ship on which seafarers of a certain status would be berthed going to their destination, and then on the return leg.

Port Out Starboard Home

I seem to recall there is another theory behind the origin, but can't remember the details.

Correct Mr.LB Bar. I had a suspicion it would be you who gave the answer I had in mind  :biggrin:

Naturally it was the P&O references beforehand which brought the question to mind, perhaps that might've made the answer easier but if you know it you know it and I suspect you knew it anyway.

I've always liked the "port out, starboard home" answer although apparently it is not proven, but it's a nice theory.

Pacific & Orient.

That's what I always believed also, in fact I was told that by a relative who worked for them on the Dover to Calais route.  But I did a double check before asking the question and I was surprised to discover the P is not Pacific in the origin of the name.  Maybe it changed to Pacific later on.  So the P part is still in the game.

Charles Macruso, states on the maths exchange which clears this up and is my point , there are two coins and we dont know which is the head revealed

@Masacroso: If the first is heads, then the probability that the second is heads is 50%. But if all we know is that one of the two is heads, the probability that the other is also heads is 1/3. –