US Government Closed

SiamSam

As of midnight last night the US government has closed. As I understand it this is due to the stalemate between Democrats and Republicans and the stickler issue(s) seems to be hinged on Obamacare. Also the media is saying this is all being orchestrated by the 40 or so radical Republican Tea Party members of the house. Does this make sense? Has partisan politics become so dysfunctional that it renders elected governments impotent? What does it mean to the economy and markets? 

Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

I could write a book on this...bottom line Faux Newzz and the Red States are calling this a "SlimDown". That is all you need to know. There is a wing of my country that views all government as illegitimate, so closing it all down except for military is exactly what they think they want. I guess they won't be satisfied till we return to Thomas Hobbes natural state....

Government shutdown does not have dire consequences.

The true big deal is if the debt ceiling is not raised which means the USA would default on it's debt perhaps causing a global economic crisis worse than the late 2008 meltdown.  My guess is Wall Street would lean heavily on moderate House Repubs to prevent that scenario.

Seems like McCain is the only Republican who understand the other guy WON the last time around? And that, ummmmm, the ACA is now law and was approved by the Supreme court?

As usual, LOL'ing at the GOP....  the wingnuts throw people like McCain under the bus every chance they get and further divide their weird party.... but this time their asshole obstructionism will cost a lot of people.

post-107-0-68375600-1380714750_thumb.jpg

Republikkkans fucked it up as usual.

This is an incredibly simplistic and sophomoric take on things.  I know you are not American but, franky, when you equate the Republicans to the KKK YOU are part of the problem.

Tell me this, there was a serving Senator who ACTUALLY WAS  a member of the KKK in his past.  Tell me now, who was it and what was his party affiliation???

I think BOTH parties wanted this "shutdown".  They think it will serve them politically and they are already looking towards the 2014 midterms.  Self serving twats the lot of them.

You know what really irks me is all these "exemptions" for Obamacare.

Its kind of like you go to the restaurant and the chef joins you out at the table.  You ask him to join you and he says, "That slop is not good enough for me.  I am not eating that."

Its the same thing......

As far as this group goes it would be a pain if you need to hastily renew your passport at the moment.

I think both parties are pretty phucked up at the moment. The GOP doesn't want to fund things they don't like even though they are law or current parts of governement. They don't have the power to change the laws so they just IMO hose up the works. When they do get in power again they can try and change the laws but the DEMs will just pull the same crap they are pulling now. The GOP has been doing the same rejecting appointments when they don't agree with the government entities of the purposed apointee. Not a matter of if they would approve of the person on his/her merits they just don't like the entity he/she will run.

The Dems blew their landslide victory in 2008 by focusing on their sacred cow health care instead of jobs while the economy went to hell. Being slightly left of center I think heath care for everyone is important. But making the economy better first would make everything better and maybe have kept them in office.

So we have lousy economic conditions. The GOP wants to cut lots of stuff, as long as it's not something they want like defense, and IMO make things harder on most people when times are already bad. The DEMs want to spend and make it harder on everyone later when the bills come due. We IMO need to start a transition between the two points of view but that isn't going to happen so it seems. So we are left with this mess. Oh, but the last GOP president spent like crazy and also managed lose his majority. So sometimes nothing makes sense.

On a more personal note for years I have been on a high risk medical plan run by the state where I live. As pre-existing conditions can no longer be considered by insurance companies that plan will cease to operate at midnight Dec 31. So I have been forced out into the public sector to the newly created online insurance exchanges. It seems my choices include a slight reduction in cost in an HMO. The HMO has a limited amount of doctors, I will not be able to keep my doctor of 20 years and I will pay, out of pocket, for all my perscriptions until I have spend $5,000 in a year for health care. Or I can pay a fair amount more than I currently pay without getting much more than the HMO except keeping my doctor and better drug coverage if I ever need really expensive drugs (which I don't now). My monthly perscriptions are $22 and the better plan has a $20 co pay. I was actually looking forward to the insurance exchanges opening but in reality it all pretty much just sucks. 

Robert Byrd, a DEM senator from West Virginia, was a member of the KKK in his younger days. Here is a historical list of some KKK members:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actual_and_alleged_Ku_Klux_Klan_members_in_United_States_politics

• Upvote 1

This is an incredibly simplistic and sophomoric take on things.  I know you are not American but, franky, when you equate the Republicans to the KKK YOU are part of the problem.

Tell me this, there was a serving Senator who ACTUALLY WAS  a member of the KKK in his past.  Tell me now, who was it and what was his party affiliation???

There have been many members of the Klan who have served in Congress. The most famous recent one of course was Robert Byrd from West Virginia (Democrat), but he made peace and amends for his prior beliefs by consistently voting in line with the interests of the people the Klan viewed as non worthy of citizenship.

Anyway...the Democratic party was the Klan party before Roosevelt engineered a realignment after the great depression by pulling together poor working class whites and blacks under the Democratic banner. Prior to Roosevelt, most African Americans who could vote voted Republican.

Ergo, the famous Republican Southern Strategy to pull in all the disaffected Southern whites who were now in a party (Democratic), with lots of African Americans, and didn't want there kids going to schools with black kids, or having to live in the same neighborhoods with them. So, since Richard Nixon, you have seen the African American percentage voting for Republicans dropping every election cycle, and at the same time the Republicans gaining a virtual monopoly stronghold claim over Old Dixie...

Not all Republicans are in the Klan, but....most Klan would feel comfortable in the Republican party.

That is basic truth.

Cheers,

Randi.

• Upvote 1

There was an interview with a Tea Party congressman where he stated this:

This is where Rep. Marlin Stutzman’s (R-IN) amazing and revealing quote comes into play. “We’re not going to be disrespected,” the Tea Party congressman said, per NBC's Frank Thorp. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.” Let that quote sink: Stutzman is admitting that conservatives don’t even know what they want out of this fight. As we said yesterday, the deeper a hole you did, the harder it is to get out because suddenly you get this war mentality where you can’t fathom “surrendering” to the other side’s terms.

That's a reflection of just what the Tea Party stands for - basically to block anything the president attempts to do, but there is no other objective other than that.

Great for the country isn't it?

Great for the country isn't it?

In an ironic way it might be, the Republican were set to make games in the 2014 elections and possibly take the Senate. With this act of lunacy their chances are decreasing fast and the Dems will likely keep the Senate and make gains in the House.

All of that assumes that there still is a USA next year  ( or maybe their plan is to not approve money to run an election ! )

Can anyone tell me why people take serioulsy/support far left loons like Bernie Saunders, Maxine Waters, Elijah Cummings, Al Franken et al not even mentioning the top law enforcement officer Eric Holder????

I forgot to mention the last House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi??  You gotta be kidding me....

Well, as far as I know, people in the democratic party aren't thoroughly disgusted by those people; you are.

Also as far as I know, there are no obvious splits in the Democratic party, as there are between moderate Repubs and out-there, lunatic fringe Repubs like Bachmann and Steve King and Louie Gohmert, as well as their new leader Cruz; all off-the-chart weirdo's whom their own party leaders don't even like!

Read the Salon article.............in all my years following politics I have never seen a party as divided and splintered as the GOP is these days.

''Cruz spent a closed-door lunch meeting on Wednesday defending himself against charges from his fellow Republican senators of being a reckless self-promoter with no plan to resolve the government shutdown his grandstanding and behind-the-scenes lobbying largely inspired.''    

This would be funny if those obstructionist losers weren't fucking up the whole country.