Ramblings & Replies

A member of Gen Y sent me this link. He says everybody is talking about it on Facebook. I didn't find anything new or surprising in it but I don't think I have ever heard it better put before. 

Excellent video, worth watching.

Is this a clip from a movie or TV show or some stand alone thing?

Beginning scene of the new HBO series The Newsroom explaining why America's Not the Greatest Country Any Longer... But It Can Be.

The above line accompanies the clip on Youtube. I don't know the program but the link was posted June 26 2012. Did the program go to air? Is it still on?

Also, I can't play the clip from here, I get a message saying it has been disabled for playing on "other websites". You will have to open Youtube to watch it I guess.

The Newsroom was an HBO series that ended just recently after 2 1/2 seasons. A lot of it was like this video: smart to the point of smugness & nobody was ever at a loss for quick witty repartee containing instant recall of exact dates & facts in a very artificial manner. It had a tendency to go off into liberal monologues like this a bit too often & was 50% comedy & 50% drama, an uncomfortable mix to me. Excellent cast & good writing otherwise, I felt it hit stride the last season but that turned out to be only 3-4 episodes. OTOH it was far better than 98% of the other crap on the boob tube. 

• Upvote 1

"Vid ESA astronaut Alexander Gerst captured some breathtaking images of Earth during his six-month stint on the International Space Station.

This timelapse video brings together 12,500 photos snapped by Gerst while he was part of the Blue Dot mission from May to November this year.

Youtube Video

Highlights include stunning auroras, storms and the Earth lit up at night."

The Newsroom was an HBO series that ended just recently after 2 1/2 seasons. A lot of it was like this video: smart to the point of smugness & nobody was ever at a loss for quick witty repartee containing instant recall of exact dates & facts in a very artificial manner. It had a tendency to go off into liberal monologues like this a bit too often & was 50% comedy & 50% drama, an uncomfortable mix to me. Excellent cast & good writing otherwise, I felt it hit stride the last season but that turned out to be only 3-4 episodes. OTOH it was far better than 98% of the other crap on the boob tube. 

Smart to the point of smugness with quick witty repartee! Sounds good to me. 

I would not have recognised it as a "liberal monologue" but if the alternative takes the opposing view, then put me down as a liberal. Thanks for that Hefe, I will look out for the series if & when it ever gets to the Antipodes.

Well, I suppose it was inevitable wasn't it!!! After a totally fucked up Christmas, I thought things couldn't get any worse, but of course, they did. Great start to the New Year, not!! Was out in the car yesterday evening, running an errand, when some silly bitch came through a red light at the roundabout, and swiped the the side of my car. Fortunately I wasn't injured in any way, but my poor motor is pretty fucked, so to speak. Thankfully my dear old Dad has a friend in the car business, and he has collected my car and is assessing the damage as we speak, with a view to repairing it over the next week or so.

Most frightening thing is, the silly bitch tried to drive off after she hit me, but obviously whatever damage was done to her car, stopped it from functioning, so she didn't get too far.

From else where's comments

how far SE Asia is from Australia! Here's a few distances for comparison.

Sydney to Bali: 4619 km

London to Tehran: 4407 km

Melbourne to Hong Kong: 7394 km

London to New York: 5587 km

Brisbane to Hanoi: 7389 km

London to Nairobi: 6805 km

The major population centres in Australia aren't as close to SE Asia as some people think.

• Upvote 1

Heads up, Nepal now issues passports to the third gender as they put it in this link.

There are few lookers there.

https://www.google.de/search?q=nepal+3rd+gender&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WjCtVITWIKqaygPRrYDYDw&ved=0CGUQsAQ&biw=1210&bih=504

Enjoy.

I always wanted to go to Katmandu with Bob Seger (That's really, really where I'm going to) but think now I will give it a pass.

From else where's comments

how far SE Asia is from Australia! Here's a few distances for comparison.

Sydney to Bali: 4619 km

London to Tehran: 4407 km

Melbourne to Hong Kong: 7394 km

London to New York: 5587 km

Brisbane to Hanoi: 7389 km

London to Nairobi: 6805 km

The major population centres in Australia aren't as close to SE Asia as some people think.

Depends what you are comparing the distances with. I'm guessing it is much less distance from Perth, Melbourne, or Sydney to Bangkok or Manila, than it is from Seattle, Portland, or San Francisco.  The km or mileage does not matter as much as the travel time, and it seems like when I asked Pacman before how long it took him to get to BKK from Oz, that it was much less time than it took me from PDX or SeaTac. 

I think the point was from where I originally got this snippet was that MANY people not from this southern part of the world think that Australia is closer to "Asia". As the figures show it isn't really.

In a nine hour flight from Brisbane Australia to BKK over five 1/2hours of that is OVER the Australian land mass, a pretty flight in daylight and Brisbane is roughly halfway up the east side of Australia. Melbourne is another 3? hour south and Tasmania 5+ hours, Perth ~ 5hours.

If it wasn't for the absurd security theatre flying from A-B would be as fast as it used to be. Really arriving for a flight 2-3 hours before is NUTS

I think the point was from where I originally got this snippet was that MANY people not from this southern part of the world think that Australia is closer to "Asia". As the figures show it isn't really. In a nine hour flight from Brisbane Australia to BKK over five 1/2hours of that is OVER the Australian land mass, a pretty flight in daylight and Brisbane is roughly halfway up the east side of Australia. Melbourne is another 3? hour south and Tasmania 5+ hours, Perth ~ 5hours. If it wasn't for the absurd security theatre flying from A-B would be as fast as it used to be. Really arriving for a flight 2-3 hours before is NUTS

Closer than which other country though? Oz is a heck of a lot closer than the USA and Canada, even the west coast.  9 hrs from Brisbane to BKK?? That's nothing. Regardless of whether it is over Australian land mass or ocean. 

In that pix Elvis looks more like 60 rather than 80. Then again I am using myself as a measuring stick so perhaps I look 80 instead of 60. But we did the same amount of drugs.

Are you 60? I am almost there, but had assumed our age difference was such that you were more than just some months older than me. 

I always lie about my age Mr. Lefty. That's how I attract young fresh fellas like yourself. 

I thought I attracted  you with my youthful vigor. Not the other way around. Remember you had to ask me several times before I agreed to penetrate your poop chute.  :db:  :crazy:  :mad0240-1:  :behind:

• 2 weeks later...