The Bangkok Times

mardhi

Bed Supperclub on Sukhumvit Soi 11 is closing.

Long-standing nightclub and restaurant Bed Supperclub will close its doors August 31st, 2013, after operating for nearly 11 years. The iconic venue was famous for its bold architecture (a kind of cylinder on stilts), its constant efforts to bring in big name DJs and edgy artistic performances which took place during dinner.

After the club’s lease expired, the landlord did allow it to stay “until further notice.” But given the uncertainty of the situation, Bed Supperclub was unwilling to perform the renovations it felt the club needed to stay competitive, renovations creative director Sanya Souvanna Phouma says would have amounted to a B30 million investment. Meanwhile, new openings such as Above Eleven, Levels and even extensions to Q Bar, made Bed Supperclub appear increasingly static.

“I’m very, very sad,” says Sanya about closing. “But honestly, Soi 11 has changed. The experience isn’t nice. You have to walk past guys drinking out of vans to get here. When we moved in, the soi was all houses with garden. There was nothing except Q Bar. Even if we contributed to changing the soi, it’s just not what we’re about anymore.”

Divided into two sections, one purely used as a nightclub, the other hosting dinners and performances, Bed Supperclub is a totally unique proposition, one with no real equivalent in Bangkok. Last week, diners sprawled on the club’s massive bed-like sofas were treated to an intimate concert where Gene Kasidit sang in furs, flirtatiously worked the crowd with a gin tonic in hand, and ultimately collapsed for her finale in a red couch that had been set in the middle of the room.

“I don’t think there’s a single greatest moment for me,” says Sanya. “There are so many. The Laurent Garnier set where he turned all the lights on full-blast for 10 minutes, and everyone had their hands in the air the whole time. Billy Cobham, one of the greatest jazz artists for me. And there was this dinner where we had performance artists take all the leftovers, mix them in a giant vat, and make these perfectly packaged little samples for people to take back home. One diner was so offended, he  asked for a refund.”

Sanya says the Bed team wants the club to live on and will be seeking out a new location, a process which will take at least a year. In the meantime, expect celebratory events for all of July and August.

Bed Supperclub would have turned 11 years old six days after its Aug 31st farewell party. “We’re proud of having put Bangkok on the map in terms of clubbing, food and culture. We want to maintain the brand and our DNA and hold on to that for the next one,” Sanya says.

http://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/news/nightclub-and-restaurant-bed-supperclub-closing

That's too bad; I remember some good times in there back in the day, with both GGs and LBs I took from Soi 4 for the evening. But then nightclub years are like dog years and then some, so 11 is a pretty good run.

• 2 weeks later...

Finnegans, the nice little Irish pub on Sukhumvit Soi 4 -- the one with the wee Thai dude out front, usually (thankfully no longer forced to dress like a leprechaun) -- is celebrating its 7th anniversary tonight (Saturday, June 8). There will be free food and drink specials, from what the girls tell me (but no free Guinness, alas).

If you're not familiar with Finnegans it's not a ladyboy bar, but it is a great little place, great food -- both Thai and falang (the cook is an old Thai lady) -- and great service staff. While it is Thai run, the service is Western in style. A lot of expat regulars (and a few Thais) frequent the place and it's a good place to hang out. And the Guinness on tap is usually tolerable (I stress both words: usually and tolerable -- but you have to take what you can get in this part of the world. And a tolerable Guinness is still better than just about any other beer, IMHO).

Of course they have the usual bottle beers available (eighty baht during happy hour until 8 p.m.) as well as Heineken and Tiger on draft.

And it is ladyboy friendly. I've brought a ladyboy in with me before, and not had any problems, other than a few raised eyebrows from the farang patrons (of course I'm used to that, 555). JimSlim recently had the legendary Miss Eye meet us there, and she was made welcome. In fact one of the staff commented to me later that they thought she was very pretty (to which I replied "You should see her naked").

It's easy to find; it's right across from the Raja Car Park, nestled between a Family Mart and a massage place.

• Upvote 1

In all the years I have been living here - I have yet to step foot inside of Finnegans.  Based on your assessment its something I need to remedy.   My venue of choice for a decent pint of beer has invariably been Bully's where they serve draught Kilkenny.   Believe they have Guinness as well.   

I also remember an old wife's tale that Guinness opened a brewery in Malaysia which is where this and probably the Kilkenny come from.   No idea if its true or not, but I am sure google would be my friend if i were bothered to look it up.

As I've discussed before here and over on LB-69, the Thai owner swears up and down that her distributor, Heineken, imports the Guinness barrels she gets in her bar from Europe. I find this difficult to believe, given, as you say, there is a brewery just to the south.

But, having said that, this is the only place I've ever found a palatable pint of Guinness on tap in Southeast Asia (granted, it still doesn't taste like what you'd get back in Ireland or the UK, but it's usually on par with what we get in the U.S. from the Canadian brewery).

Usually Guinness on tap in this part of the world takes like dirty ass filtered through an even dirtier sweatsock. Last night it tasted pretty yummy. As was the Glenfiddich.

post-442-0-42159100-1370800405_thumb.jpg

I only paid for one of these; the other two were bought by various round buyers. Huzzah.

She maybe spinning you a yarn. last time i looked into Guinness it was being exclusively distributed by Diethelm in Thailand, which is nothing to do with the Heineken guys.   However, things may have changed and hence why you can't seem to get any British beer anymore, apparently down to those guys at Heineken who now own them all and tore up the previous distributor agreements. They then assigned them to the Heineken folk in each country who have said "no demand" (from the Thai places).   Thus no more John Smiths, Tetleys etc etc.  The guy who used to do all this importing was based in Sukhumvit Soi 2 and its where a ex-Guess girl worked from long ago.    However I have little idea of what the current status is of beer importing - it seemed to be doing well and then just dried up overnight, with the exception of English & Irish cider.    One can only imagine that the Thai brewers do not consider that as competition.......

The only really half decent pint of Guinness Ive had in Thailand has been in O'Reilly's Pub next to Patpong and Sala Daeng BTS station, Ive been an avid Guinness drinker for the last 30 odd years so I would like to think I know a good pint of it or not.

I dont know how often these bars clean their beer lines but I can guess most of them dont do it every week as they are supposed to do to keep a decent pint...lol

btw.. O'Reilly's have a fantastic Beatles tribute band on every Friday night, well worth a visit :drinks:

post-136-0-44160500-1370864153_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-59246800-1370864186_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-20416500-1370864207_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-27696600-1370864233_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

No poblem LR my friend, the band comes on around 9ish and they play until midnight, I have seen them many times and they are great imho

I would suggest getting there around 8-30 to get a decent  seat, as you probaly already know the foods very good there too :drinks:

WEEKLY SCHEDULE

Every Wednesday  2030 to 2400
Lobby Lounge
Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers

LIVE  at  O' Reillys Irish Pub 
Every Friday   9:00 pm onwards
corner of Thaniya Silom Road ,
next to BTS Sky Train Saladaeng Exit
Bangkok Thailand
  O'Reillys Irish Pub Tel: 02 632-7515

First Set  Early Beatles
1963 - 1965
The first set begins with songs from the early era Please Please Me, From Me To You and PS I Love You

Second Set 1966 - 1967
Puts you through The Beatles second era from Rubber Soul, Revolver and then transport to the psychedelic sounds of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour

Third Set 1967 - 1970
The show ends with a touching and poignant view of The Beatles break-up. Rock out to the final days of Hey Jude, Abbey Road and Let It Be

THE BEATLES BANGKOK
is

Sopon Juntaramittree as JOHN
Pol Chulanon as PAUL
Danai Saewaneea RINGO
David Eng as GEORGE

post-136-0-67596200-1370867211_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'll skip The Ruttles -- just don't like tribute bands that much, although a Thai Beatles tribute is  ... interesting ... but thanks for the heads up Duke! I'll have to check it out and report back. I hear from my inside sources that Finnegan's might be changing hands in the near future, so I may have to find an alternate hangout when I get tired of Sang Som and soda.

:drinks:

Okay, this is the third time I've tried to edit, argh.

Was that ... Miss Oh? Owe? ... did she drink that pint, or was that yours?

No poblem LR my friend, the band comes on around 9ish and they play until midnight, I have seen them many times and they are great imho

I would suggest getting there around 8-30 to get a decent  seat, as you probaly already know the foods very good there too :drinks:

WEEKLY SCHEDULE

Every Wednesday  2030 to 2400

Lobby Lounge

Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers

LIVE  at  O' Reillys Irish Pub 

Every Friday   9:00 pm onwards

corner of Thaniya Silom Road ,

next to BTS Sky Train Saladaeng Exit

Bangkok Thailand

O'Reillys Irish Pub Tel: 02 632-7515

First Set  Early Beatles

1963 - 1965

The first set begins with songs from the early era Please Please Me, From Me To You and PS I Love You

Second Set 1966 - 1967

Puts you through The Beatles second era from Rubber Soul, Revolver and then transport to the psychedelic sounds of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour

Third Set 1967 - 1970

The show ends with a touching and poignant view of The Beatles break-up. Rock out to the final days of Hey Jude, Abbey Road and Let It Be

THE BEATLES BANGKOK

is

Sopon Juntaramittree as JOHN

Pol Chulanon as PAUL

Danai Saewaneea RINGO

David Eng as GEORGE

+1 Top notch information !

• 1 month later...

Current typical price for a drink (does not seem make much difference what you chose) is 150b in other Nana Gogo's.     I can only assume they want to ramp up volume sales.    A new tactic for this bar and hopefully works out well for them and they stick with it.

By the sounds of things from what I hear, some previously popular bars are deathly quiet in NEP and soi 4 - others are doing quite OK/good.     Service & quality counts in lean times.   

• 1 month later...

Police raided Cascades last week and made all the LBs wear normal clothes on stage as punishment for some crime .

The Bar with the rocking  Bull next to Casc is closed

Playschool Bar closed for refurb???

The bar next door also closed but unoffically open

Short time rooms all closed for good 

I was the only Westerner in Obsessions ( Unidentified Farang in Obsessions)

• Upvote 2

Police raided Cascades last week and made all the LBs wear normal clothes on stage as punishment for some crime .

The Bar with the rocking  Bull next to Casc is closed

Playschool Bar closed for refurb???

The bar next door also closed but unoffically open

Short time rooms all closed for good 

I was the only Westerner in Obsessions ( Unidentified Farang in Obsessions)

That will kill probably 40% of Cascades barfines I suspect.   Having no In-plaza ST rooms will deffo have a big impact on the shy guys.

i agree..maybe new police Chief in charge. Its done no good for the atmosphere of the whole place and no welcome mat

I thought the ST rooms were supposed to contain the seediness to one complex. Now the Hotels will get more unwanted guests and more blushes from those  inaugurated into the walk of shame 

Two Italian tourists were allegedly captured and held for ransom by a group of corrupt Nana cops.

The victims said they were wandering around the Nana area on Monday when they stopped to use an ATM. While they were at the ATM, an Uzbeki man and 4 officers approached the men to “arrest” them for using “fake ATM cards.”

The tourists, who did not commit any crime, were held hostage and moved to the fifth floor of an empty building. After hours of negotiating the gang took the tourists to Sawasdee Hotel on Sukhumvit 57 and demanded THB2 million in cash.

The Italians talked their captors down to THB1 million, saying they would call their family in Italy to transfer the money. The gang did not realize the tourists were, in fact, calling for help.

Shortly thereafter the Italian police contacted the Lumpini Police Department who immediately called the hotel where the men were being held.

The gang seems to have gotten wise to the heat and they were captured on CCTV fleeing the scene. 

One officer has since given himself up, but the other gang members are still on the run, the Daily News reported.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/08/23/nana-police-run-after-abducting-tourists-and-demanding-thb2-million-ransom-0

Guest JustSumGai

and the clueless will conitnue to stream in, wide eyed.

if a guy can't view the walk of pride as part of the zing of the whole thing perhaps little Johnny should stick to afternoon tea rooms.

• Upvote 3

and the clueless will conitnue to stream in, wide eyed.

if a guy can't view the walk of pride as part of the zing of the whole thing perhaps little Johnny should stick to afternoon tea rooms.

LOL! 

Or maybe someone just wants to get fucked and get back to drinking with his buds? 

FYI- The short time room on the 3rd floor next to Billboard is open as well....

Speaking of short time rooms there is a short tyme room in the first alley on the left side of soi 4 (not the driveway for Dynasty). This is the alley where Mango Bar, The Tavern, Jools Bar are located.

Open 24hrs a day. Not bad. 

• Upvote 2