The Bangkok Times

mardhi

Thailand close to Formula One race deal - report

Reuters – 24 minutes ago

(Reuters) - Thailand is close to securing a Formula One night race around the streets of Bangkok for the 2014 season, local media reported on Thursday.

Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) Governor Kanokphand Chulakasem met Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone during the Singapore Grand Prix last week and it was agreed "in principle" that Thailand would host the race, Bangkok Post reported.

"It will be a city race like those in Singapore and Monaco. It will be a night race like the Singapore Grand Prix," Chulakasem was quoted as saying by the newspaper.

Fees and other aspects of the deal were yet to be finalised, Kanokphand added.

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa had earlier assured the government would bear 60 percent of the total cost and the rest would come from private companies.

In 2010, more than 100,000 people turned out to watch Mark Webber driving a Red Bull demonstration car along the capital's Rajadamnoen Avenue.

post-136-0-68066900-1348744184_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

i can see the headlines.." 15 people were killed when a Ferrari flipped after hittiing a stray dog and ploughed into the crowd at the inaugural BKK Grand Prix , officials were warned about stray do.....

Since the driver is a falang he will be at fault and responsible for all damages. :judge:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I type this, the police are busy preparing to close Soi 4 in BKK to traffic. Looks like an idea mooted before is about to become reality. At this stage no idea what time it will become a pedestrian zone. Will try and find out more later. I assume, it will extend down as far as soi 6 roadway. I.e basically the closed bit will be from the top of soi 4 down as far as the Heaven at 4 hotel/swan bar beer. which would then mean traffic can still use soi to get out.

• Upvote 1

Probably - Noon said there will be a lot of big police in Soi 4 tonight, no doubt to check all the shiny new CCTV cameras are working properly. So I guess we better make sure Patty does not get her kit off like she did last night. I also noticed a huge Singha beer sign above Big Dogs I think. All the food vendors have been kicked out as well - but for how long is anyone's guess.

Apparently the TV crews all turned up ready for action and the big cheese police guy could not make it so it all got cancelled. Only in Thailand. so traffic flowing freely, today at least, in Soi 4.

As for the Nana burger stall - that I do not know - all the girls were bitching about their favourite somtan stall getting booted.. I doubt they care about the burger place so it needs an Farang investigation.

If anyone is in need of really good cakes - there are two excellent choices around Soi 4. The JW Marriott has probably the best cakes I have come across in BKK - especially chocolate based cakes as they have their own chocolate prep room (rare in hotels these days). Just been to order Noon's birthday cake which is what made me think about it. Its located just along from Bully's pub and has both indoor and outdoor seating. While waiting I was oggling all their pastries and cakes - excellent and surprising reasonable with many selling for 40-50b. They do a wicked Smoked Salmon Bagel which is packed with excellent fresh imported salmon for 130b - damn thing is huge. They are also one of very few places serving Illy coffee.

2nd option and perfect for late afternoon/early evening viewing is to take an outside seat at the Landmark coffee shop and watch the girls walking from the BTS to Nana. Cakes are not quite as good but the sandwich selection and pastries are good choice. The Landmark is best for the view - the Marriott for the food.

• 2 weeks later...