The Bangkok Times

mardhi

• 2 weeks later...

The new Purple Line will be giving free rides in May.

Bangkok commuters will enjoy free one month ride of the new Purple Line electric train by May next year before its schedule official opening of the train service on August 12, 2016.

This was what the permanent secretary for the Transport Ministry Mrs Soithip Traisut assured as she led media representatives to Japan to follow up progress in the assembly of  the electric trains before delivery to Thailand.

Accompanied her to Japan included head of the Electric Trains division of the Mass Rapid Transit Authority (MRTA).

The Thai delegation made an inspection tour to Yokohama City in Japan to check on the progress of work being carried out on electric trains slotted for the Purple Line at the J-Trec Co. facilities.

As of the present, all the assembly work on the first batch of 9 units from a total of 63 units have been completed and are awaiting transport to Thailand.

According to Mrs Soithip, the remaining units are expected to arrive in Thailand by January 2016 where they will undergo trials prior to the MRTA and the Bangkok Metro Public Co. Ltd. (BMCL) taking charge of the trains.

After the handover, the trains will be running free-of-charge for the entire month of May in 2016 before beginning official runs on August 12, 2016, she said.

The Purple Line connects Bang Yai – Bang Sue districts and runs on a total distance of approximately 23 kilometres.

Total investment cost of the line is more than 60 billion baht.

The line is of the elevated type and ithere are all together 16 stations along its entire stretch.

The Purple Line begins at Klong Bang Phai where the line’s maintenance and repair center is located and runs along the Kanchanaphisek Western Outer Ring Road before turning off to the left to arrive at the Rattanathibet Road.

From here the line crosses the Chao Phraya River adjacent to the Phra Nangklao Bridge before arrivimg at the Khae Rai roundabout.

It then turns off to the right and runs along the Tiwanon road before turning off to the left to head towards the Bangkok – Nonthaburi Highway.

The line terminates at the Tao Poon station which is also the interchange station to the Bang Sue station of the Bangkok subway line.

In future, plans are being worked on for a connecting line from Tao Poon station to the existing Blue Line that runs between Bang Sue – Tha Phra.

Officials estimate that when fully operational, the Purple Line on average will handle 100,000 commuters every day.

As of the present, passenger fares have not been specified as studies are being carried to determine the most cost effective rates.

The results will be made public as soon as the studies have been completed.

But during the initial run in May 2016, residents of Bangkok will be able to use the new Purple Line electric train that connects Bang Yai – Bang Sue districts. Initial runs will be free-of-charge prior to the grand opening which is scheduled for August 12, 2016.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/free-ride-for-purple-line-in-may-next-year-before-grand-opening

Flying Feces!    :character00292:

Residents of a Lumpini Ville condo on Pracha Chuen road arrived home to an unpleasant sight and smell last night when feces fell from the ceiling onto the lobby.

The poo-poo waterfall was caused by plumbers forgetting to throw out a bag full of feces after they scooped it out from a clogged pipe, according to a statement by Lumpini Property Management.

“Regarding the incident, there was a pipe maintenance on the ceiling above the lobby,” the statement said. “After the supplier fixed and removed discharge from the clogged pipe, they did not immediately throw out the bag that they transferred the excrement into which resulted it to fall from the ceiling onto the lobby.”

Unfortunate staffers were called in to wipe away the mess.

"This incident did not happen from the lack of standards in construction but a mistake in the maintenance process," the statement said. "The company sincerely apologizes and will make sure this does not happen again,"

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/09/04/poo-poo-waterfall-flows-lumpini-ville-condo-lobby

Meteorite?

A huge fireball  was spotted in North of Bangkok  by hundreds of people in most parts of Bangkok during the morning rush hour at about 8.45 a.m. causing panic among those who saw this unusual fireball.

One witness who saw the huge fireball said it plunged from the sky to the north on the verticle way down to earth with tail of white smoke behind, according to JS Traffic Radio station.

There was no sound when it came down like a big round object with no sound.

The fire was bright with green and orange colours, another motorist driving on Rama 2 road on the west of Bangkok said.

There was no report of any aircraft accident and JS Radio said it was checking information from the Aeronautical Radio of Thailand of the object falling from the sky.

Latest check said there was no aircraft accident.

The Civil Aviation of Thailand is also checking.

Another said it might be a meteorite.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/126537

• 1 month later...

GLOBAL ICONS - including Kofi Annan, Bob Geldof, Muhammad Yunus, Uma Thurman and Manny Pacquiao - will be heading to Bangkok this month for an international youth summit with 1,300 participants from more than 190 countries.

In what will be the biggest meeting in the City of Angels this year, the "One Young World Summit" - dubbed a youth Davos - will open spectacularly at Sanam Luang with the backdrop of the lit-up Emerald Buddha Temple.

The event takes place from November 18-21.

"It's a milestone for the city. With the host city bid, the organisers came to inspect the [potential] venues in Bangkok one week after the coup in 2013. The governor [MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra] was articulate and the organisers understood that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will be the host," Deuntemduang na Chiangmai, the governor's adviser and one of the event's key organisers, said.

Hundreds of international companies have sponsored creative youngsters to come and debate some of the world's most pressing issues at the summit, with the global-icon elders acting as interlocutors or counsellors.

The gathering and networking are designed to inspire the 1,300 youngsters, who are aged between 18 and 30.

One hundred Thais have been selected to participate.

This is the sixth "One Young World Summit", first founded in 2009 by UK-born David Jones and Kate Robertson.

It brings together the brightest young people with the aim of empowering them to make lasting connections to create positive change.

Leading personalities such as Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Sir Richard Branson, Jamie Oliver, Jack Dorsey and Arianna Huffington have joined the summit as counsellors in the past.

They could be joined at the Bangkok Summit by Nasa astronaut Ron Garan, Unilever CEO Paul Polman, KPMG International's Lord Michael Hastings, Yougov chairman Carole Stone, actor John Corbett, actress Bo Derek, BP Oil chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg, cyclist Victoria Pendleton and gymnast Li Xiaopeng.

Thais on the counsellor team are former prime minister Anand Panyarachun, True Corp's Supachai Chearavanont, Bill Heinecke from Minor Group, and Siam Piwat's Chadatip Chutrakul. 

The meeting will take place at the Centara Grand, with hotels all around the vicinity taken up by participants.

The closing ceremony will take place during an all-night party at the main grounds of nearby Chulalongkorn University.

"The global media such as CNN will be here to cover the event throughout - both to a global audience, as well as directly to respective countries that each of the young leaders come from," Deuntemduang said. 

The participants will also pay visits to Thai sites and organisations as options. These include the Foundation of Slum Child Care, the Portuguese Community and Santa Cruz Church, Wat Pho and the SCG Foundation.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Annan-Geldof-Yunus-and-other-icons-heading-this-wa-30272062.html

• 2 weeks later...

post-7348-0-54809800-1447167005_thumb.jp

Drivers involved in a multi-vehicle accident in which a taxi cab was completely crushed miraculously escaped with minor or no injuries.

The incident at 11.45am on Tuesday on Phahonyothin Road near Saphan Khwai BTS saw a cement mixer hit a pink taxi cab, which then slammed into a public bus. 

The bus then hit another taxi, which rammed into 2 parked cars.

However the taxi driver managed to escape with minor injuries, according to the radio station.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/10/driver-escapes-five-car-accident-minor-injuries

THE SUPREME COURT yesterday handed down five-year jail terms to two former top executives of New Bangkok International Airport for rigging bids on the Suvarnabhumi Airport project back in 1996.

Overturning the Appeals Court's acquittal of Priti Hetrakul, then managing director, and his deputy at the time Pramual Hutasing, the Supreme Court found that the pair violated the law by inflating the reference price and inflicted huge damage on their organisation and the public. 

The median bidding price to grade the airport construction site was raised from Bt10.86 billion to Bt12.20 billion.

Neither man was present at yesterday's sentencing and arrest warrants were issued for them. 

The statute of limitations in enforcing the punishment is 10 years.

The Supreme Court commuted the jail term for Pramual to three years and four months in light of his helpful cooperation. 

According to prosecutors and the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), which filed the case in November 2009, |both executives abused their authority when they invited bids on September 20, 1996, for landfills and site preparation. 

Conspiracy to change median price

Priti appointed his deputy Pramual and six others to the bidding committee.

However, both Priti and Pramual from November 27-29 of that year conspired to change the median price significantly by producing a new document to replace the original one.

The six other committee members were not informed of the change.

In March 2011, the initial court ruled that both were guilty of the charges that they violated the law governing state officials' conduct.

Each defendant was given a five-year jail term, but the Appeals Court acquitted both defendants in 2013.

The prosecution appealed to the Supreme Court, which said there was solid evidence from the NACC that Priti played a role in this corrupt practice and that Pramual, as chairman of the bidding committee, along with Priti changed the terms of reference, even though the committee agreed to award the multibillion-baht contract to Italian Thai Development, which quoted Bt11.9 billion.

The grading contract was a major component of the Suvarnabhumi project. The new airport was opened in 2006. 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Supreme-Court-jails-pair-for-5-years-each-for-Suva-30272680.html

• 2 weeks later...

A Bangkok man is seeking justice after he was allegedly stabbed by a taxi driver for complaining about getting rejected.

Facebook user Bee Anuchit posted photos of his severe wounds after he was allegedly attacked by a cabbie outside Wonder World Fun Park on Kanchanaphisek road on Sunday night.

Anuchit said he had attended a Cat Radio concert with two friends at the park before he tried to hail a taxi for their group. Anuchit got in the car and asked the taxi to drive up the road to pick up his friends waiting for him, but the taxi driver rejected his request.

"I got in the taxi and told him my destination. It all started when I said my friends were waiting about 5-10 meters ahead, but then the driver said he didn't want to go. So I said 'If you're going to turn on the available sign but not accept passengers, you shouldn't be a taxi driver'," Anuchit wrote.

Suddenly, Anuchit felt the driver punch him. The pain was unbearable, he said.

"He punched me, but back then I didn't know he had a knife in his hand. I felt winded. I opened the door, trying to get out of the car but he started driving away with me still clinging on to the seat. Then I saw my arm bleeding all over, and I couldn't remember anything because I lost a lot of blood."

Anuchit has filed a police complaint and has also encouraged netizens to share his photos in order to bring attention to his attack, including with celebrity news anchor Sorayuth Suthassanachinda.

"Please post and share this to Sorayuth. I will throw this scumbag taxi driver to jail.”

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/18/taxi-driver-rejects-stabs-complaining-passenger

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kings Korner has livened up somewhat and some nice new petite sweeties in with one a superstar in the makng... mostly new girls from a year back and much needed sweep out has taken place for the better

Prices start at 3000, according to the staff, which means you pay 2000 in reality (+ 600 barfine) after the haggle.  

I dont like the layout of this place though and its a bit businesslike with the LBs but if you don have a tight budget get down there to check it out. Ozzie Pete who tipped me off about it has moved into a Hotel in Silom so that he can walk there every night.... i would not go that far .. 

Sorry Donnnnny no Amazons in situ so dont waste your time when you get back

• Upvote 1