If The Shit Hits The Fan Coronavirus

Pdoggg

Chances are Coronavirus won't infect and kill as many people as the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918.  But what if things start really getting going tits up?  I think it's always useful to have a contingency plan.

I reckon the best defense is to avoid people as much as possible.   That's probably not too difficult if you don't have to work or go to school.  

I suppose that rural areas might be safer than cities but Pattaya might not be all that bad if you stay at home and perhaps run out to the supermarket or 7/11 in the wee hours.  Kissing bargirls might not be a great idea though.  

Overreacting?  At this time I'm not changing my behavior but if the situation changes I do have the luxury of being able to go into lockdown mode.   

• Like 2

Since I am leaving soon I was considering buying a mask to wear at the airport (even though I probably wouldn't wear it) plus I have a patch of mold in my house that needs to be removed. But I was only going to buy a mask that had a high rating. You can buy masks that have a rating 95 (removes 95% of bad stuff), 97 and 100. The 100 is actually a HEPA filter that really does 99.7%. Masks with higher ratings have a small filter on the outside of the mask and you don't breathe through the mask material (I think). A pharmacy on Buakhao has some 95% masks for 70 baht. But I didn't buy one at first and now all the good ones seem to be gone at the pharmacies I checked. It was probably overkill anyway so I will be going commando. :biggrin: 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, stoolpusher said:

The dust masks that 90% of people are buying are just that " a dust mask " nothing else . We are in bkk for a couple of days and it looks like 50 / 50 as to numbers covering up .

Yes the regular cheap masks don't help much. A couple of weeks ago lots of Thais started wearing masks in Pattaya. But mask usage seems to be declining in recent days.

On 2/18/2020 at 3:43 PM, Pdoggg said:

Chances are Coronavirus won't infect and kill as many people as the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918.  But what if things start really getting going tits up?  I think it's always useful to have a contingency plan.

I reckon the best defense is to avoid people as much as possible.   That's probably not too difficult if you don't have to work or go to school.  

I suppose that rural areas might be safer than cities but Pattaya might not be all that bad if you stay at home and perhaps run out to the supermarket or 7/11 in the wee hours.  Kissing bargirls might not be a great idea though.  

Overreacting?  At this time I'm not changing my behavior but if the situation changes I do have the luxury of being able to go into lockdown mode.   

or even the MERS virus. Interesting (to me) but even Ebola is a 50% death rate.  Corona? NO deaths among children, 14% among those over EIGHTY dammit.  Cool yer jets folks. Even a 60 yr old has maybe a %4 chance of dying from it. Jesus, we're sucking ass and swallowing cum guys, for cryin out loud.  I'm more worried about TB as there are lots of coughing, poor, unhealty lookin folks on busses in Cambodia.  It's the Chicken Little media, hand in hand with capitalist swine who LOVE to use fear to produce profit.

oh....yer already there...nevermind :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Since I am leaving soon I was considering buying a mask to wear at the airport (even though I probably wouldn't wear it) plus I have a patch of mold in my house that needs to be removed. But I was only going to buy a mask that had a high rating. You can buy masks that have a rating 95 (removes 95% of bad stuff), 97 and 100. The 100 is actually a HEPA filter that really does 99.7%. Masks with higher ratings have a small filter on the outside of the mask and you don't breathe through the mask material (I think). A pharmacy on Buakhao has some 95% masks for 70 baht. But I didn't buy one at first and now all the good ones seem to be gone at the pharmacies I checked. It was probably overkill anyway so I will be going commando. :biggrin: 

I'd suggest buying as many GOOD masks as you can before you fly. MIGHT pay for your airfare. 

20 hours ago, xyzzy said:

an exhaust valve vent, yeah

On 2/18/2020 at 3:43 PM, Pdoggg said:

Actually the Spanish Flu pandemic killed more than WW1.  They were stacking bodies like cordwood. Phones were made with glass mouthpieces so they could be boiled.  The CDC or someone still HAS slices of tissue with the virus embedded in wax or some such.  They still don't really know about it.  It just tapered off and died. After killing MILLIONS.  This corona thing is media BULLSHIT.  But that won't stop the uninformed and businesses from over reacting.  GO TO PATTAYA now :)  Few Chinese tourists, no groups.  With any luck the baht will drop a bit...bastards. Don't be surprised if, in a few weeks, it's reported to be under control, dropping and expected to taper off soon.  Some reports lay the blame (BIG SURPRISE) at "jungle meat".  Apparently the "most trafficed animal" is some Chinese variant of an anteater, with scales like a fish.  Now, if the airlines, etc can just keep up with things, I am hoping it all becomes old news in a month or so.

1 minute ago, stoolpusher said:

If you can still edit your post just delete it that way and put something else or just put "  deleted " . If edit has gone then maybe PM Pdoggg and ask him to remove it 

saw no "delete" button.  Kinda odd actually.  Making it hard to delete? As if we need more crap on the web :)  AHHHHH, PD has come up with the bang on solution.  Thanks

2 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Edit everything out of you post and put in the word Deleted.

Just catching up with this topic after reading the Sweethearts bar thread.

Must say that all this Corona stuff hasn't really entered my mind, i never see any news. Heard about it of course but very little knowledge of what's happening

At the moment i'm far more concerned about  the Russian 'Whitehoody virus' that is sweeping through Thailand. If i ever get that i'll be straight over the balcony.

Anyway, back to Sweethearts, seeing a Pic of jimbo has given me 'Rant Virus' i think. 

So!....Isn't Pattaya, and particularly Jomtien wonderful at the moment? As a resident here it is great not to have hoards of Chinese walking down the middle of the road gazing forlornly at Google Maps, hoping to find the nearest 7-11 whilst walking past 2 within a hundred meter's of each other , not seeing them because their heads are buried in google.

What is it with the Chinese?  I mean..come on! all my life i've heard about how in pre-history they invented lot's of great things...Gunpowder and fireworks i guess. Written language too... dear me..you've got to be Rembrandt to write that.

and to cap it all...Chopsticks! has anyone ever invented anything as totally useless as Chopsticks.? No wonder they all have Corona virus...they deserve it!

Wanna try chopsticks? don't waste your time..just go into any Chinese restaurant.. when they bring your food...just pick the plate up, pour half of it over your lap and the floor...then ask them for a fork.... ...save time.

anyone know a cure for Rant Virus?

• Like 2

3 deaths in Northern  Italy ....football suspended...the Duomo in Milan closed as well schools and museums...seems there is a hotbed in North of italy...

Breathalyzers test suspended...at least you can drive drunk...

i should be leaving for BKK in 2 weeks...but have not bought the ticket yet...still waiting for more developements

TS Hookers in the streets...are twiddling their thumbs....chinese girls..also

On this board the option to EDIT or DELETE a post passes in a short period of time. I'm sure pdoggg can say what that amount of time might be (15 minutes?).

I just got home yesterday. I was less worried about getting the Novel Coronavirus than maybe borders closing and getting stuck somewhere. Probably an overreaction but who knows.

Think I'll skip taking a cruise this year.

18 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

Just catching up with this topic after reading the Sweethearts bar thread.

Must say that all this Corona stuff hasn't really entered my mind, i never see any news. Heard about it of course but very little knowledge of what's happening

At the moment i'm far more concerned about  the Russian 'Whitehoody virus' that is sweeping through Thailand. If i ever get that i'll be straight over the balcony.

Anyway, back to Sweethearts, seeing a Pic of jimbo has given me 'Rant Virus' i think. 

So!....Isn't Pattaya, and particularly Jomtien wonderful at the moment? As a resident here it is great not to have hoards of Chinese walking down the middle of the road gazing forlornly at Google Maps, hoping to find the nearest 7-11 whilst walking past 2 within a hundred meter's of each other , not seeing them because their heads are buried in google.

What is it with the Chinese?  I mean..come on! all my life i've heard about how in pre-history they invented lot's of great things...Gunpowder and fireworks i guess. Written language too... dear me..you've got to be Rembrandt to write that.

and to cap it all...Chopsticks! has anyone ever invented anything as totally useless as Chopsticks.? No wonder they all have Corona virus...they deserve it!

Wanna try chopsticks? don't waste your time..just go into any Chinese restaurant.. when they bring your food...just pick the plate up, pour half of it over your lap and the floor...then ask them for a fork.... ...save time.

anyone know a cure for Rant Virus?

Now that was a rant!!

Re the chopsticks. I agree. You would not design something like that in a hundred years. If you observe how the Chinese use them you will see that for most of the meal they hold the plate up and use the chopsticks as a shovel. Not the best look!.

back to the Virus and no sign of workers in Ningbo returning to work...70% of the workers have not returned back to work ... when they do it may get worse 

The China Govt have a tough decision to make

In the West we will see shortages soon ... panic buying of parts has started in some Industries

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

I was supposed to have a group of Italians students this Thursday for a week, but education trips abroad from Italy have been cancelled for the time being.  To think when I left Thailand over 3 weeks ago I though I was getting away from it all, and now it’s directly affecting my livelihood.  

Is this because of Irish regulations or Italian regulations?

2 hours ago, bumblebee said:

According to my school, the Italian Ministry of Education has stopped all educational trips leaving the country.  

8:01 am: Ireland cautions against travel to coronavirus-hit areas of Italy
Ireland said its citizens should not travel to parts of Italy affected by an outbreak of the new coronavirus. Italy’s government has moved to close off the worst-hit areas in the northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto, and the death toll in the country from the disease rose to five on Monday. “There has been an increase in the number of confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Italy... Citizens are advised not to travel to affected areas,” the foreign ministry said on its website on travel advice updated on Monday. —

• Like 1