Favorite drama TV series

JaiDee

"Shameless" is most excellent.

My 2nd-favorite show ever behind Breaking Bad, they just nailed it and I am happy it's coming back for season 6!

A new one I have been watching is called House of Lies with Don Cheadle as a too-slick business exec in Los Angeles. Pretty good show,   season 1 was really good, they slacked off a little in season 2 but now I am on season 3 and it's back to being great again.

As usual the best stuff can be found on Showtime or HBO in my opinion, maybe the History channel [Vikings] ......the networks have to follow too many guidelines and I think most of their shows become too predictable because of it.

How could I have forgotten "Californication", How did that slip thru. I guess not on "public" TV as it is in much of the rest of world, Some GREAT acting in that series, Particularly Hank, Karen, Charlie, Marcy. How much of "Hollywood" it is like who knows but as a parody it works very well.

I'm with you on this one Lefty,  I watched episode 3 last night on "4 player" which is  catch up TV over here in the U.K.  It really is a superb series.

I hope you were able to see the episodes all in order. It makes more sense that way. Also there is a connection between Fargo the movie and the TV show, so hopefully you've seen the  movie as well, because you will spot the connection right away.

Luther is pretty good if you don't mind another 'cop pushing the limits of the law' show and three season is only 14 episodes. It's very interesting for an American to watch a TV show where cops don't have guns (except for SWAT teams, etc).

I watched all three seasons of Homeland in about five days. Good stuff if you don't stop and think about some of the plot flaws too much. But that is true about most shows. There is another season coming in the fall I think.

BBC America's Orphan Black keeps me interested although again one has to overlook some plot flaws.

I like The Blacklist also.

Guess I'm weird. I watched one episode of House of Cards and gave up. I watched all of season one of Breaking Bad. I tried twice to start season two and I just didn't want to go where the plot was going.  

I watched 2 seasons of Breaking Bad before I lost interest. Glad to see I am not the only one who couldn't get into it. Just couldn't see what the fuss was about. I hate meth, and anyone who makes and sells it are complete scum. There are really no good guys in that series. No one to root for. 

I have been watching Orange Is The New Black. It's interesting. Lesbians and women's prison. One inmate is a very attractive black TS.

Pretty cool so far. I think I am halfway through season 1 and will finish it after the draft. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with Torurot on "Person of Interest" I have really gotten into it, and at the minute, apart from CSI is, for me, the only unmissable show on Television right now. Season 2 just finished here in Ireland, can't wait for season 3 to begin.

• 2 weeks later...

I became hooked on Vikings, Game of Thrones and Mad Men.

A bit older favorites are The Sopranos, Band of Brothers & Pacific, Poldark and Sharpe.

Then going way back are Combat and the Twilight Zone. TZ was pretty cutting edge for 1959 :)

Don't flame me- I also watched the entire All Creatures Great & Small series :)

• Upvote 2

I became hooked on Vikings, Game of Thrones and Mad Men.

A bit older favorites are The Sopranos, Band of Brothers & Pacific, Poldark and Sharpe.

Then going way back are Combat and the Twilight Zone. TZ was pretty cutting edge for 1959 :)

Don't flame me- I also watched the entire All Creatures Great & Small series :)

Anyone who remembers Combat fondly is ok by me. 

• Upvote 1

"Burn Notice".

Burn Notice isn't half bad......kinda cheesy,  but the lead guy who plays the ex-spy is kind of suave and plays a really good role.  Kind of like Bond on TV.

I find that network shows are usually quite average; they can't really get too ballsy on NBC and CBS and ABC.   Burn Notice was a USA Network show, and they can go a bit further, FX and AMC as well......see; Breaking Bad.  You would never see that show on one of the networks!

But even better; HBO programming, and not just for the swears and violence, although that's pretty good also.  They just seem to be made better, larger budgets will do that for a show.

• 4 weeks later...

FX just started a new show last night., Not a drama, but think I may like it.  You're The Worst. 

As for comedies, I just discovered Arrested Development, and i love it. Talk about dysfunctional families. Hilarious. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone here watched "The Fall"?  A Brit/Irish crime series based in Belfast which incorporates a serial killer plot (Hello True Detective) around the specific unique culture of Ulster. The lead detective is played by Gillian Anderson from X Files & the killer is an actor who was picked to be the lead in the currently being filmed "50 Shades of Gray".

I think it is very good, which is to say like all these good shows we've mentioned it's more about the gradual reveal of the story's flawed characters & their relationships than any action. It's on Netflix in the States & Canada, but there is a big caveat in my reco, the 5 episodes of the first season end in the middle of the plot with no resolution & I believe the new season starts this winter. So you may want to wait until all 10 episodes become available to watch it through.

Definitely a thumbs up though.

Homeland. Season 4  premieres on sunday! :happy0065:

Yes and with two episodes the first night. A week later The Walking Dead returns. Probably my two favorite shows. With the low number of episodes these types of shows have each season it seems like a long time between seasons. 

Anybody else watch that series on FX called TYRANT??  Thought is was very good.  Just watched the last episode I had on my DVR. Anyone know if/when the second season will come out???

The "bad" brother does a great job in his role.  I am scared of him-what a psycho!!!  But thats what makes this type of series good-the villians!!!  Remember DALLAS??  JR was much more compelling than Bobby.

Anybody else watch that series on FX called TYRANT??  Thought is was very good.  Just watched the last episode I had on my DVR. Anyone know if/when the second season will come out???

According to a web search season two has been canceled. It looked interesting but I hadn't gotten to it yet. Probably won't now as I hate it when there is no finish.