Terrorism At The Boston Marathon

pdogg

I've been watching this all day - there has been no confirmed reports of anyone in custody or that of a Saudi National.  The opposite - they (Boston Police Chief) refuted those reports.

Other than the NY Post, whose report is unsubstantiated.  I haven't seen anything other than rumor mongering and misinformation, related to this speculation.

It's a horrific event.  My thoughts go out to the people in Boston.

I've been watching this all day - there has been no confirmed reports of anyone in custody or that of a Saudi National.  The opposite - they (Boston Police Chief) refuted those reports.

Thanks but why would the report it if it's a fabrication? Is someone trying to make trouble? Very strange.

Thanks but why would the report it if it's a fabrication? Is someone trying to make trouble? Very strange.

I didn't say it was a fabrication - I said it was not confirmed report and misinformation. Misinformation often comes out early in chaotic events. The news organizations try to get whatever information they get out to their readers. People pass on what they think they hear.

The NY Post is still reporting an explosion at the JFK library... other major news outlets and the boston police are saying it was a mechanical fire.  Could this all change as they get even more information?  Absolutely.

What do I mean by Misinformation?  You said they have arrested a suspect, the NY Post said they have a suspect under guard - those two statements are not the same thing.  Especially if you are that suspect.

I fully expect more information to come out on this.

You said they have arrested a suspect, the NY Post said they have a suspect under guard - those two statements are not the same thing.  Especially if you are that suspect.

Good point, the guy has been found half guilty already. And I can't excuse my use of the word "arrest". Too caught up in the hype to consider the facts, my fault.

I did think he was a dumb terrorist if he got hit by shrapnel from his own bomb. That as much as anything points to him not being involved. And these latest reports of him "acting suspiciously" mean little either if all he was doing was standing around. On that basis, everyone was acting suspiciously.

I fully expect more information to come out on this.

Of that there is no doubt.

The Saudi National was seen running from the scene of one of the blasts, along with literally hundreds of other non-Saudi's. One member of the crowd thought he looked suspicious, so he chased him down, tackled him, and held him until police arrived. 

The Saudi is said to be fully cooperating with police. Most suspicious thing I've heard in the newest reports is that he is said to have been burned (which could be an indication he was involved/too close, but could also point to him being another victim).

I had a strong hunch from the moment I heard about this that it was domestic terrorism, perhaps a disgruntled "patriot" or skinhead group. So far the facts that are coming in are only making my hunch stronger:

1. No reports of any organized group taking responsibility;

2. The bombs are said to be "improvised explosives" and far less powerful than they could have been.

Smells like amateurs to me. With all the political nonsense these past few years, I'd put even money on it turning out to be an ultra-conservative domestic terrorist or group.

I don't think any runners lost their legs, PD; but some people standing in the area of the finish line sure did. For the runners, they were far enough away from the blast and they all passed through relatively unharmed.

I live about 45 minutes from where all this happened, and of course it dominated news coverage for the rest of the day.  I had my TV on and the news broke in at around 3:10 to talk about it, 15 minutes after the blast, and they were still showing the carnage on live TV.  One of the things I will never forget seeing is some poor guy being wheeled away from the scene in a wheelchair, both legs blown off below the knee and what looks like his shin bone sticking out from below his knee.  I will post the video below but it's not for the feint of heart at .32 seconds.

Who did it?  No one knows yet, but the FBI is all over it and they will come up with a suspect soon, I am sure. What surprises me is that almost 24 hours later no one has claimed responsibility yet. Sad day for sure, but as always we will pull together as Americans to find out who did this and if they were Islamic terrorists, make sure they get to meet Allah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T1K6PsNM5c

post-107-0-70479900-1366131221_thumb.jpg

Surprisingly quiet regarding speculations on suspects. No one claimed anything yet. If anything can be read into that, i´d say its a domestic lunatic like Tim McVeigh from the Oklahoma bombing. Islamist usually make their claims immediately.

Why chose liberal Boston? Any islamist hating Usa could've chosen other targets?

Who did it?  

I'm working on a theory that Venezuela wanted to pay back the US for giving Chavez cancer & they asked Castro for some help. He got onto the Russians who spoke to the Taliban & they knew someone in Boston who owed Al-Qaida a favour & he did it.

All quite simple really...         :blink:

And it sounds very familiar to that other great conspiracy theory we all know. You remember...          :flirt2:

Surprisingly quiet regarding speculations on suspects. No one claimed anything yet. If anything can be read into that, i´d say its a domestic lunatic like Tim McVeigh from the Oklahoma bombing. Islamist usually make their claims immediately.

Why chose liberal Boston? Any islamist hating Usa could've chosen other targets?

I'd say you might be right. No one is claiming it as their work & it does not appear to be a very sophisticated bombing. Two of them didn't go off..... thank god.

As for Boston, I don't think its reputation as a liberal town would have had anything to do with it. The marathon presented a "soft target" that provided lots of people & lots of coverage. They certainly got world attention. JD mentions he had it on TV all day & he lives 45 minutes away. I live 24 hours away & it was on TV all day here....  ON EVERY CHANNEL (almost).

And you hit the nail on the head calling him a lunatic. A psychopath like this will have given himself away well before this IMO. I am sure the FBI are getting plenty of names of deranged individuals & I'm betting that among them will be our man. Now that's a theory I do believe.

If anything can be read into that, i´d say its a domestic lunatic like Tim McVeigh from the Oklahoma bombing. Islamist usually make their claims immediately.

Yes,  I'd agree it wasn't Al-Qeada or one of the main terrorist groups from the middle east because it's been well over 40 hours now and still no claim of responsibility, which is unlike them. Right now it looks like it was a homegrown terror plot, with the pressure-cooker explosive being a crude, hillbilly-type device. Still too early to speculate on who did it, but the fact that the race was held on Patriots day and Tax Day, as well as very close to the anniversary of the Waco incident could prove to be helpful in finding out who did it.  And I am 100% sure they WILL find out, and soon.

Paccers, the early reports of other bombs in the area not detonating were false; turns out it was just those 2, and thankfully there was a race-recovery tent staffed by doctors and nurses just yards away from the finish line or the death toll would surely have been much higher.

Paccers, the early reports of other bombs in the area not detonating were false; turns out it was just those 2, and thankfully there was a race-recovery tent staffed by doctors and nurses just yards away from the finish line or the death toll would surely have been much higher.

How can they get that wrong? It is unbelievable to me that at a time when news services are relied on to get out accurate information, they are jumping at shadows & reporting bullshit. How difficult is it to confirm what is a bomb & what isn't? Did some panicked spectator imagine he saw a bomb & rang up the station? I can't understand how someone could get it wrong then how their mistake gets reported as truth. I guess it's the great rush to be first with the news. In the information vacuum they will report anything.

There was an explosion a few hours ago near Waco that injured over a hundred people.

At least this isn't a terrorist attack. Or so far it isn't. It sounds terrible though, they are expecting loss of life including firemen & at least one police officer. Coming so soon after Boston people must be wondering what they ever did to deserve such events.

Don't bad things come in threes? 

They were Chechen brothers. One was shot dead by police last night and the other (19 years old) is one the run. They have closed down and surrounded Watertown (suburb of Boston) where authorities believe the suspect is hold up. They even closed the air space. It is only a matter of time.