Top 10 Scams in Thailand

For any of you guys out there who may be heading to Thailand for the first time, or have been already and think it is all smiles, here are the main scams you may come across, so best to know what to expect and be on your guard. Nearly got involved in #9 on my second trip, when I was stopped by a couple on Sukhumvit Rd and they gave me more or less the story described below. Nothing came of it as I made an excuse and got away from them. You don't want some scumbags ruining your precious time there.

http://www.bangkokscams.com/undercover/top-10-scams-in-thailand.html

1. The Grand Palace is Closed Scam - This scam can happen near any tourist attraction but still happens a lot outside the Grand Palace. As you approach, someone will tell you that the palace is closed for various reasons. Ignore them as you will end up in either a gem store or a tailor shop.

2. Thai Gem Scam - If you are not an expert on gems then I strongly urge you not to take the word of other people on how much money you can make if you sell these gems on return to your home country. People are losing a lot of money every day. Don't make the mistake that you are different.

3. Wrong Change Scam - A common scam at places like 7-Eleven and Family Mart in tourist areas is to give you change as if you gave them a 500 baht note instead of a 1,000 baht note. Many tourists are not familiar with Thai money and often give the wrong money or don't notice that their change is incorrect. Most shops will say out loud the denomination of any paper money you give them. Check your change!

4. Jet Ski Scam - Many people in Pattaya and Phuket are being scammed after renting jet skis. When you come back after your fun, they will point out scratches and dents in the jet ski and they will demand large sums of money. What they fail to mention is that a dozen other customers have already paid for those scratches. If you rent anything, be it motorcycle, car or jet ski, make sure all scratches and dents are documented.

5. Patpong Sex Show Scam - Don't believe the touts outside who say free sex shows and drinks for only 100 baht each. You will end up paying a bill in the thousands. Stay clear if you are alone as they can turn violent if you refuse to pay.

6. Hualamphong Scam - Outside the train station you will meet official looking people who will say they will help you book the seats. They take you to their nearby travel agent and pretend to ring the train booking office. They then say the train is full and your only way to travel is on one of their buses.

7. Long Distance Bus Scam - Many people have had things stolen from their bags on overnight bus trips. Some have even reported they were drugged and found their money missing when they woke up.

8. Airport Taxi Scam - Official looking touts will pretend that they are meter taxis and tell you that it is 500-1000 baht to go into town. The meter taxi outside is less than half this. The police have tried to crack down on them but they are back. Ignore anyone who asks if you want a taxi. The real taxi drivers are waiting outside by their cars.

9. Blackjack Scam - This usually starts when someone asks you where you are from. If you say, New York, then he will say he has a sister who will be going to study there. He then asks if you can go and meet her as she has some questions. At their house, you somehow end up playing blackjack with them. They then ask you to help cheat someone out of their money. Don't get tempted as it is you who is being scammed.

10. My Girlfriend is Pregnant Scam - A popular scams these days is your long distance girlfriend writing to you to say she is pregnant with your baby. She either asks for help to pay for the aboriton or for money to raise the baby. What she doesn't tell you is that she has already written to five other foreigners telling them that they are the father too. The latest gimmick is some medicine circulating in Isaan that swells their belly to make them look pregnant in case you fly in to visit them. The only way to know for sure is to go with them to the doctors to get an ultrasound.

Please remember, most scammers are successful because they play on the greed of their victims. If something is too good to be true then it probably is. As kind as Thai people are, they are also very shy. If you are approached by a well spoken Thai person on the street then the chances are high that this person is a scammer. Thai people are not normally so forward. However, please give them the benefit of the doubt unless, of course, they give you the codeword "Big Buddha" or "Lucky Buddha". This is then their admission of guilt. Finally, it is sad to report that there are now foreigners praying on helpless tourists. So, be weary of any unsolicited help.

• Upvote 1

4. Jet Ski Scam - Many people in Pattaya and Phuket are being scammed after renting jet skis. When you come back after your fun, they will point out scratches and dents in the jet ski and they will demand large sums of money. What they fail to mention is that a dozen other customers have already paid for those scratches. If you rent anything, be it motorcycle, car or jet ski, make sure all scratches and dents are documented.

This is the one I hate the most because of the large sum of money involved for jetski damage. When Toxin was shooting the drug dealers he should ahve saved a few bullets for these guys. :growl:

• Like 1

There has been a jet ski scam going on opposite Mike's shopping mall Beach Road Pattaya for ages. The scammers have been getting international attention for at least 6 months - their pics have even been posted on the net - yet they are still there ripping off tourists - obviously a few pigs (and others) have their snouts in the trough - I know "this is Thailand" but its a bloody disgrace! - and is penalising the decent jet ski operators (I presume they do exist) - I always give 2 bits of advice to friends who are going to Thailand (1) always use a condom (2) never rent a jet ski.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I know "this is Thailand" but its a bloody disgrace! - and is penalising the decent jet ski operators (I presume they do exist) - I always give 2 bits of advice to friends who are going to Thailand (1) always use a condom (2) never rent a jet ski.

I agree. A disgrace. :growl:

If one must rent a jetski, think it's best to go high end and walk into the Marriot or Arami. Presumedly they deal with reputable operators.

I know "this is Thailand" but its a bloody disgrace! - and is penalizing the decent jet ski operators (I presume they do exist) - I always give 2 bits of advice to friends who are going to Thailand (1) always use a condom (2) never rent a jet ski.

Good advice Bodysurfer, but I'm absolutely certain that you won't find any reputable jet ski operators in either Phuket or Pattya!!

I agree. A disgrace. :growl: If one must rent a jetski, think it's best to go high end and walk into the Marriot or Arami. Presumably they deal with reputable operators.

No!

Has anyone ever heard of the Jet Ski guys at Jomtien Beach doing the scam?

Yeah... And I remember about four or so months ago I had loads of Brits buzzing around telling me that those little 'shit tanks' in Jontiem had come right unstuck ripping of a bunch of bunch of young British lads... Anyway, apparently the Thais tried the usual terror tactics, intimidating money out of the young lads for previous or exaggerated damage... And the Brits ' just for a change' came back later & turned on the Thais in a 'full on' attack which took them completely unawares! (they must have run straight through the Thais & had mates waiting on bikes, it's the only way that I can see they would have got away with it)?.. Apparently two of the Thai's got stabbed!! Now I'm not sure if it's 100% true, but the people who told me just don't go in for bullshit stories, this would have come from a reliable source & as I sid earlier the lad's scene was buzzing with it??

I don't think there was any press, maybe the loss of face was too much to bear!?.. I certainly hope so!

The silly little Thai shitbags were scouring the beach for days & days looking for gangs of Falang lads, I do remember that... WTF, as if the British kids were going to go back to the same location???.. They no doubt went straight back to their hotel, packed their bags & got out of Pattaya in less than 15 minutes flat! :ph34r: :lolu: :vava:

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

The change scam was pulled on me in the Angel Witch Go Go Pattaya around  3 weeks ago but this time there was no change.

I give the Girl a 1000bt note for one drink and she didnt come back . I called the mamasan over who got very angry and waited another 10 minutes... they came back and took the wallet off some old Guy sitting next to me and emptied his cash on the table. what for i have no idea but they ruffled through all his belongings and then started having an argument with him as well...

I waited another 5 minutes and the maid gave me the correct change . God knows how much they took of the old guy who was in a state of confusion.

I wont be going back to that shithole again.. ever. I would not have minded so much but these clowns tried to make it look as if i was at fault. I only had 1000s on me and so i knew i was right. The body language of the maid also intimated i was being taken for a mug and the old Witch Mamasan had the cheek to shout down at me

• Like 1

KC 3 used to pad their bills a lot many years ago TC, I hear they somehow verify the bills now but of course the customer still gets scammed, especially in Nana or Patpong.

Man, that video of the jet ski scammers was an eye-opener!   They have them all over Phuket as well, and Samui and Phangan to a lesser degree.  I have rented jet ski's in all those places [except Pattaya - go in THAT water?  naaaaa] and never had a problem, but I can see it happening for sure.

Police in on the scam and getting a percentage?  Shocking!

• Like 1

My God , KC3 must have the World Crown for scamming. Circa 2003 it was so bad in there that the default was that your bill would be padded and you was lucky if they didnt. 

Even after the signing the bill was introduced they still tried it on for a while. I remember insisting on them check the tabs up one night and lo and behold some other dudes bills had crept into my pot.. i said " i dont write my name like that.. it looks Japanese to me ".. 

• Like 1

Two other scams:

1. this one has been done by Nigerians in Bangkok.  Some guy will approach you and tell you about something very valuable he'll sell you for very little.  He'll give it to you to look over.  When you return it to him he'll claim that what you returned is not what he gave you and is in fact worthless.  His big scary buddies will show up and ask for what he gave you and if you won't give it up, they want the equivalent in money or they'll mess you up.       So never take anything from a stranger to check out.

2. the ATM scam.   many variants.  one is that your card gets stuck in the machine (due to something the bad guy put in the slot earlier).   you stand there trying to get it out.   A friendly person comes up and suggests that you try entering your pin again as that will usually fix it.   You enter your pin while the bad guy watches.  Of course this does nothing.   You go off to report the problem.  The bad guy pulls out your card (since he's knows it's being held by a u-shaped piece of plastic).   With the card out now, and knowing your pin, he just puts the card back and steals your money.

so... never enter your pin with some stranger nearby... no matter how friendly he is.   And in general cover your hand when entering your pin... there are other scams that involve card duplication but they all require your pin number.

• Upvote 2

Has anyone encountered the "You are a Lucky Man" scammers around Sukhumvit ?

Usually the scammer is an Indian wearing a turban.

Have had them attempt to stop me a few times over the years, but I just ignore them.

Doing some reading on the internet, they appear to use some trickery to 'encourage' you to make a 'donation', generally several thousand baht from what I understand.

Cheers

Koykaeng

• Like 1

Has anyone encountered the "You are a Lucky Man" scammers around Sukhumvit ?

Usually the scammer is an Indian wearing a turban.

Have had them attempt to stop me a few times over the years, but I just ignore them.

Doing some reading on the internet, they appear to use some trickery to 'encourage' you to make a 'donation', generally several thousand baht from what I understand.

Cheers

Koykaeng

There was one of these chancers on Second Road outside the Made in Thailand bar area almost opposite the Central Festival recently.  Maybe he is there most days.

The "You are Lucky Man" scammers were very evident around Sukhumvit back in March. Two Inian blokes, a young guy and an older gentleman. They tried this on myself and Jimslim several times over a couple of days.

Dont know what the actual scam is as we simply ignored them each time.

• Like 1

Other, less-publicized, scams to watch out for:

1. The Thong Lo police - their favorite tactic is to pull you over (whether you're walking or in a taxi), demand to search you or your bag (or both) and suddenly find shitloads of drugs. Huge amounts of money will then be demanded in order for you to be "free." Way around it? Simply have your camera at the ready and start snapping photos. Even better, have your friends do it. Yes, it worked for me.
  2. If you need medical attention, DO NOT GO TO Police General Hospital or Phaya Thai Hospital. Their foreign rates are more expensive than most private hospitals.
  3. The BMA "police" are not police. They don"t carry guns. They cannot arrest you. They cannot demand your passport. And if they hold you, you can walk away.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Being a 3rd Worlder pays in situations like this. As you're used to these scams where you came from, you're more prepared. Touristic and nightlife areas in Istanbul is full with those described. I know a scammer when I see him. Neither "the temple is closed" routine, nor "I'm from the tourism police" pulled on me worked. The "tourism police" would "arrange a tuk-tuk ride" for me....WTH! Wonder who even falls for that. Once, I was even approached by a Westerner around Hualamphong, asking for train fare. I didn't say "there's a gazillion of you back home" outside of course, but that was what I thought

About overcharging at bars and taxis....this is something universal. Guess it happens to everyone once in a while. Heard about this Patpong show/bar scams with the high tab at the end, I sticked with Nana. So far, no harm from the tab....or so I think :)

• Like 1
  • 8 years later...

Do you give money to street beggars?

How much money do beggars make?

According to a Thai blogger called Thailand Footpath, they earn more money than a typical office worker...

He observed an elderly lady sitting at the Pratunam intersection in Bangkok while waiting for the NYE fireworks from 11 pm to midnight.

The blogger found that most people passing by gave her some money. He counted 60 people, some of whom gave 100 B, 50 B or 20 B, including some coins. On average, he estimates, people gave her 20 baht per person, which equals to 1200 baht (36 USD) / hour.

The grandma grabbed her expensive smartphone to shoot a bunch of videos of the fireworks...

271282240_1906045319577988_5341692681774

I've occasionally given some change to people sitting with babies on the stairs of the BTS stations, such as Asok...

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Papa Sam said:

Do you give money to street beggars?

i well recall when i lived in Lamai on Ko Samui, there was a male/female couple used to walk the streets every night. She in front, him behind with his hand on her shoulder, he carried a microphone and small amp...and a white stick. blind as a bat of course. but him happily singing songs for donations.

all well and good until one day i was around the other side of the island when they passed by the coffee place i was in , they were riding a motorbike.

er... he was driving..

seen similar acts in other towns too, including Jomty recently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1