Interesting Forum Names

SiamSam

I just noticed our newest forum member "lienEstams" and want to welcome him to our little world.

His forum name choice made me wonder how some of our forum names get born. We have some very curious monikers indeed.

One of the reasons I picked mine was because I always preferred the name Siam instead of Thailand for the country we have come to love. I remember as a little boy reading stories about peoples called Siamese who lived in a faraway land called Siam. The name always evoked mystery and adventure for me. Little did I know I would discover it someday and see first hand that it is indeed a land of mystery and endless adventure. Beats me why the Siamese preferred to be called Thai.

Anyone else want to share the origin of their forum names?

• Upvote 1

Mine was originally (still is) daveduke007 on the TLF forum

the Dave is my name, the Duke (of York) was the Pub I was the manager of and the 007 is because Im a massive James Bond fan

However I shortened it to duke007 on other forums after I was "slated" on TLF by some "pricks" calling me all the names under the Sun comparing my name to that of David Duke who was apparently the leader of the Klu Klux Klan

I had never even heard of this "asshole" until then if truth be known, mai pen rai

i was looking for another handle to the one i have over on lbp,coz i didnt want to bring any bagagge to this pristine clean shiny new forum....and being a complete zappa obsessive just had to pick a name after a FZ song.....hence willie the pimp.....my other choices,The Central Scrutinizer and Father O'Blivion would have taken to long to log in with!

I *could* spin a long yarn about the numerological aspects of my forum name. To wit (or to Google, actually):

"The 4 is without a doubt masculine, reflecting strength and stability. His chief characteristics are dependability, productivity, punctuality and obedience. He is trustworthy, patient, conventional and a traditionalist. He is a bit boring and not much of a social person, preferring to toil in quiet obscurity. He works steadily and can be very persistent. He finds great satisfaction in his accomplishments and favors results over financial reward or public recognition. He is humble, dresses conservatively and blends in with his surroundings."

This is of course tempered by the 17 (1+8 in numerology, apparently):

"It consists of number 1 and number 7, but the sum is 8, which this figure makes it very interesting in numerology. Here, too, grant number 1 ambition, energy and independence, creativity, character and aspirations accurate implementation. From the number 7 while the coming changes, anxiety, desire of travel, mobility. Published in conjunction with a good writer or artist. At the same time, this artist is a practical man who knows how to intelligently and logically to solve problems. Both figures the amount broken down by 8 gives the personality, which does not understand. In fact, the number 17 has three main characteristics: number one ambition and energy, number 7 the uncertainty and volatility in difficult readability, which brings with it a number 8."

But that would be complete utter bullshit -- or bollocks, if you prefer (but not of the canine variety, I gather). When I signed up for a hotmail account to supplement my Yahoo account back in ... oh, 1998, I think, I needed a login name. I looked around the room for inspiration, and my eyes fell on the clock; it was 4:17 in the afternoon. I've been using that handle ever since for various forums (fora?) and IM clients. Literally no significance to the numbers, but I've used it so much that now it's become like a thing, I guess.

A numerological 4:17 would be a pretty hip dude, though, I suppose. B)

• Upvote 1

"Kahuna is a Hawaiian word, defined in the Pukui & Elbert (1986) as a 'priest, sorcerer, magician, wizard, minister, expert in any profession'".

Wanna watch me pull a rabbit out of a hat........

It simply comes from my love of the most beautiful and perfect place in the entire world...Hawaii...

Think I told my story on the old forum a while back but here goes...

My first trip to LOS, say 7-8 years ago, I was up in Chiang Mai for a couple months, met a girl who gave me her virginity and we had the most lovely and innocent affair. She was the sister of the wife of the farang owner of a cute little beer bar, and acted as cashier and the only non-working girl in the bar.

I won her over, and somehow our true joy became a mirror on the other girls' fake joy. It's a long story that ends badly, but in the process the other girls started referring to me as the bad foreigner, "farangbah"... :db:

Ba I think means "go" or "crazy"

I remember many years ago in Hi-Boss when I had a threesome with the drop dead gorgeous PIA and another who was kinda "butch", as Pia was riding me cowgirl style she said "ba" to which I replied "I not ba" to her surprise and then laughed out loud because I undertood what she meant

Ken is an old nickname.

On forums I was searching for the allowed handle (required number of characters or something) and hit on an old favourite actor of mine Watanabe Ken, a Japanese superstar who went to Hollywood briefly and made a few B grade flicks there.

So it became KenW in honour of him, but punning on the fact my real family name also starts with W.

(I also use variations of this on other online sites, according to number of characters required; Ken Watanabe on Facebook.)

He's a Star in the USA.

Not joking. I read somewhere he'd made a few nothing-type flicks there. Had no idea he was a star there.

EDIT: I should check before I shoot my typing fingers off shouldn't I. One could hardly call the Last Samurai or Letters from Iwo Jima B grade or nothing-flicks. Apologies.

I smoked A LOT of weed back in the day, and my friends always laughed that I would get so philosophical when I was high, first calling me foggy zen master, then just fog master! I adopted it for my "stripper/whore's email" and signed up to the boards with the same name.

I think that's my favorite story so far. I figured it had something to do with San Francisco and the foggy mornings.... I wasn't even in the right ballpark!

I remember smoking dope in our 1967 VW Camper Van with all the windows closed in the High School parking lot, then piling out to go to class and watching the clouds of pot smoke billowing out. They did a scene just like it in Fast Times At Ridgemont High 10 years later that captured it beautifully. I even crawled into the closet (oval shaped just inside the open side doors) to sneak into the drive-in one evening, had my buddy drive as I was the only one skinny enough to fit into the closet. Had another friend hiding in the closet underneath the back seat which folded out into a bed. Ah, those were the days....

post-75-0-19277100-1346915195_thumb.jpg

Well has many members here know, 'Lung' is 'older uncle' in Thai & I've abreviated it from my old monnie 'Lung Somchai' which was my adopted name when I first came to Thailand & with Somchai being something of a Thai joke name, it was always a great ice breaker in the bars, especially as I actually, (at least at the time), looked quite young for my age. It got all the girls giggling & up for a laugh... Which is just what I wanted!

And as a many members also know, after my first demises from another forum I reappeared as Nob Hoskins, thanks to Backdoor eventually getting me a reprieve & then Kendo getting me another one after that (Thanks everyone else who also tried)... They obviously realised that I'm just very much missunderstood.

Anyway, now I'm not quite sure whether to carry on as 'Lung' or morph entirely into 'Nob Hoskins'?

So how about a quick vote (It ain't worth no poll)

Either stay as Lung

Change to Nob Hoskins

Or maybe better still for some of you, fuck off altogether