Stock Tips - the Wall Street Recommendations Thread

6 hours ago, The-Sith said:

BTW, if anyone doesn't know about the GME story PDoggg is referring to, it's worthwhile reading up.

Thursday was a wild ride.  GME closed on $347 on Wednesday and dropped 44% in one day to $193.  The intra day high was $483 which was quadruple the intraday low  of $112.

In after hours trading it is up to $345 about 77% up from Thursday's close.   Today should be really wild as January options expire today.

These hyper volatile days are made for the pros as they can exploit differences in Calls and Puts at different strike prices and maturities while the Redditors don't have sophisticated models to do this type of trading.

Trully amazing because the stock is a piece of shit with an out of date business model that is worth perhaps $20.

As an aside one of the early longs of GME was Dr Michael Bury, the one eyed guy, in the Big Short who made a fortune with arcane derivatives in the mortgage market during the financial crisis.

rsz_traader.jpg

Unfortunately the Robin Hood CEO has bowed to pressure and shut down trading on Game Stop (GME), Blackberry, Nokia and AMC.

The corporate elite are putting the pressure on. It seems that Robin Hood was sellng data on what was being traded on Robin Hood apparently to some hedge fund managers and anyone else willing to pay - (no fee trading, no fees, but selling data).

4 hours ago, rxpharm said:

Unfortunately the Robin Hood CEO has bowed to pressure and shut down trading on Game Stop (GME), Blackberry, Nokia and AMC.

The corporate elite are putting the pressure on. It seems that Robin Hood was sellng data on what was being traded on Robin Hood apparently to some hedge fund managers and anyone else willing to pay - (no fee trading, no fees, but selling data).

Robin Hood really had no choice. They are required by The Securities and Exchange Commission to maintain a certain amount of capital for clearing house deposits. The wild trading caused a problem with these funds. They went out and secured a lot of funding in the last 24 hours to be able to trade again today but I think they were up against it again today.

3 hours ago, RandiUno2 said:

Gold and Silver are the best long term plays.  So much free money around its only a matter of time before the worldwide equity bubble bursts,  inflation rages, and the Saudis royals and Indian consumers begin hoarding gold again. 

Gold might be a good idea but it will be a case of buying high and selling higher if it works out. I was too stupid, as usual, to not buy gold back in 2016 when it fell to USD$1056 an ounce. As late as the 2nd half of 2018 it was USD$1186. ATM it's around USD$1845 and the USD has devalued about 8% since the start of the pandemic. So if not for the falling dollar it would be a bit cheaper. But in these messed up times it may well go up a lot. Might be worth keeping an eye on silver which is a bit later to the party

FWIW     

On 1/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, xyzzy said:

Gold might be a good idea but it will be a case of buying high and selling higher if it works out. I was too stupid, as usual, to not buy gold back in 2016 when it fell to USD$1056 an ounce. As late as the 2nd half of 2018 it was USD$1186. ATM it's around USD$1845 and the USD has devalued about 8% since the start of the pandemic. So if not for the falling dollar it would be a bit cheaper. But in these messed up times it may well go up a lot. Might be worth keeping an eye on silver which is a bit later to the party

FWIW     

I was buying gold and slilver (small positions - I'm not rich like the Hunt Brothers) throughout 2017 and 2018, and now wish I had bought more.  Personally a little afraid of gold at 1850 levels.  

Praying my silver "goes to the moon" as the Reddit crowdsource/investor group claims they are trying to do a #silversqueeze.  I still think silver a good buy at $28.  Would be funny if I call my coin dealer on Monday and he says "I'm out of silver rounds".

It's seems like currently, if you are not making a shit ton of money on equities and commodities and whatever because of all the liquidity pumped into the market, you are going to get seriously left behind when all the inflation hits the global economies.

The 0.01% made over a trillion.

The 1% is crushing it.

The 5% is doing well too. Maybe even the 10%. GME is an example of retail guys having so much money they are now playing games with it.

If you aren't there..... get ready for some harsh times. The money printing evaporated the middle class because it meant having equity in your home and a 6 figure life savings totally meaningless. 

Maybe this is not apparent now but wait 3 to 5 years.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 7:39 PM, RandiUno2 said:

I was buying gold and slilver (small positions - I'm not rich like the Hunt Brothers) throughout 2017 and 2018, and now wish I had bought more.  Personally a little afraid of gold at 1850 levels.  

Praying my silver "goes to the moon" as the Reddit crowdsource/investor group claims they are trying to do a #silversqueeze.  I still think silver a good buy at $28.  Would be funny if I call my coin dealer on Monday and he says "I'm out of silver rounds".

Good deal on the earlier investments. The Reddit crowd had a short lived effect on silver. Seems they discovered they can't push a big market like silver around like a small shorted stock. 

On 1/31/2021 at 5:54 AM, The-Sith said:

If you aren't there..... get ready for some harsh times. The money printing evaporated the middle class because it meant having equity in your home and a 6 figure life savings totally meaningless. 

Maybe this is not apparent now but wait 3 to 5 years.

You could be right. But the conservatives were sounding the inflation alarm bell since the money printing financial crisis of 2008-2009. Maybe they will be right this time but for the last 11 years they were wrong as inflation couldn't even make the US Feds goal of 2%. But sooner or later they will be right.  

I am not sure if we are going into (or continuing) a long term deflationary cycle, or about to head into an inflationary destruction of the US monetary system.  

When I look at the US Fed Reserve pumping trillions into the economy, I think "inflation", however, there is a more powerful countervailing force - wage labor exploitation squeeze.

One of the foundational tenets of inflation is that it is "too many dollars chasing too few goods".  This is the alleged basis of the wage/price inflation spiral in the US in the late 70s.  However, this was really a low inflationary spiral. It think the highest rates were only in the high teens during that time.  We have never had hyper inflation in the US.  Why?  Because we have had real wage declines for most workers in the US. over the past 40 years.

This means the real cost of labor (one of the biggest inputs in many goods and services) has declined over the last 40 years.  Thus, as real wages decline, the costs of goods and services have declined as well, i.e., compare cost of color tv today to one 30 years ago.

The money pumped into and sloshing around the system is all controlled by the 1% and invested in real assets and stocks/bonds.  Thus, the prices of stocks and real estate are at historic highs, and bond yields at historic lows. 

The 1% will do whatever it takes to maintain their wealth and power.  Therefore, trade deals to keep downward pressure of real wages will expand, so I think the risk of deflation is actually greater than inflation given the power relationship between the 1% and the rest at present time.

Anyway, my small holdings of silver and gold are just a small hedge against the whole world falling off a cliff.

10 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Good deal on the earlier investments. The Reddit crowd had a short lived effect on silver. Seems they discovered they can't push a big market like silver around like a small shorted stock. 

You could be right. But the conservatives were sounding the inflation alarm bell since the money printing financial crisis of 2008-2009. Maybe they will be right this time but for the last 11 years they were wrong as inflation couldn't even make the US Feds goal of 2%. But sooner or later they will be right.  

Looks like you fell for the trick...... just like EVERYONE ELSE.

Around 1999, Greenspan removed oil, food and other daily items from the basket of goods that make the CPI. So that 2% inflation rate does not reflect reality of how much costs go up for people. In otherwords, food goes up by high single digits.....but that does not impact the official inflation rate.

It's fuzzy math in the US for stats like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the UK the Conservative government replaced Retail Price Index (RPI) with Consumer Price Index (CPI) in 2011, as the main method of measuring inflation, and therefore wage, pension and welfare benefits' increases.

Unlike RPI, CPI does not include housing costs which are probably the biggest expenditure for most people of working age. Which has meant that wage and welfare benefits' rises have not kept up with the cost of living, and living standards have fallen for most people over the last 10 years.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2021 at 12:45 PM, The-Sith said:

removed oil, food

In a past life, when trending inflation data, we used the CPI excluding food and energy because food and energy jumped abound a bit distorting the trend.  But I agree, real inflation doesn't exclude food and energy.

There are lots of CPIs. QG refers to a British CPI. 

TIPS (Treasury Inflation Protected Securities) uses 

The Bureau of the Fiscal Service announced the reference Consumer Price Index (CPI) numbers and daily index ratios for Treasury inflation-protected securities (TIPS).

This information is based on the non-seasonally adjusted U.S. City Average All Items Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor.

Social Security COLA (CostOf Living Adjustment) uses 

SSA starts with the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W), an official measure of the monthly price change in a basket of goods and services, such as food, energy and medical care. The CPI-W is tracked by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). SSA then calculates the COLA by comparing the average of the CPI-W for July, August and September of the previous year with the average for the same three-month period in the current year. The percentage change is the COLA for the following year.

• 3 months later...

One of the very best investment opportunities today are iBonds aka Series I Savings Bonds.  The interest rate as of May 1st is 3.45% and there is nowhere else that approaches this risk free rate.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds.htm

You must hold the bond for one year before redeeming.  If you redeem before 5 years you lose the last 3 months of interest.  Suggest American research this.

• 3 weeks later...

Thailand could see a record number of IPOs this year, says Dealogic’s Ken Fong.

Data shows it’s been a standout in Southeast Asia’s public listing space.

“Thailand is doing really well. It continues the good trend from last year,” said Fong, head of equity capital market research for Asia-Pacific at Dealogic.

The deals so far this year have totaled $2.92 billion in value, according to Dealogic data.

With no reason for the current trend to stop, Thailand’s IPO space now appears “on track to have a record year,” the analyst added.

The Southeast Asian country usually sees about 30 public listings each year, and data showed most usually come in the latter half of the year, he told CNBC in a call. “Roughly 70-80% of the activity comes from Q4 and Q3 every year.”

So far this year, Thailand has seen 14 listings — about half the annual level, Dealogic data showed. The amount raised by this year’s IPOs has already surpassed the annual full year average of $2.8 billion, according to Fong.

Elsewhere in the region, the Philippines has also seen a relatively strong performance in its IPO market, following the debut of food and beverage firm Monde Nissin — described by Fong as the “largest” public listing on record in the country.

In Malaysia and Singapore, however, the listing scene has been “rather quiet,” he added.

‘Very high one-day pop’ for some IPOs
Covid-19 has ravaged through much of Southeast Asia as their respective governments struggle to obtain sufficient vaccines to inoculate their citizens.

But the impact of the resurgence of the pandemic is “not really visible” in the IPO space, Fong said.

“From our data I do not really see that Southeast Asia is too weak. We look at the aftermarket performance and actually most of the countries have a very high one-day pop,” he said referring to a strong debut on the first day.

Fong cited two IPOs in Thailand as examples.

PTT Oil and Retail Business went public in February and gained about 62.5% on the first day of trading. Thai insurance broker Ngern Tid Lor also jumped about 25% from the IPO price on its debut day.

Both companies were among three that listed in Southeast Asia this year that have been valued at more than $1 billion each, he added.

At a time when the market is “still hot,” Fong said, “these mega IPOs just help encourage other ... companies to list.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/16/southeast-asias-ipo-market-is-still-hot-thailand-is-leading-the-way.html

• 6 months later...