Stock Tips - the Wall Street Recommendations Thread

Well, just to be on the safe side I moved all my retirement funds from stocks into bonds tonight (left 10% in Contrafund and 5% in a Lazard Emerging Markets fund). The "rebalance" won't take effect until tomorrow, and usually not until after the market closes which means if there's another big drop I'll have to swallow it as well.

Hopefully this whole "sequestering" nonsense will get dealt with quickly and painlessly, but I'm not so sure, thus rather safe than sorry. If it's solved and the markets rebound, I'll miss that bounce as I believe I can only re-adjust my 401k accounts once a month or so? (Otherwise you're guilty of "market timing" which would be a no-no in their eyes). But I'm pretty sure I'll sleep better the next few weeks as I don't see this getting fixed - in a positive way - for a while.

Being a retired old man, I don't risk my money on individual stocks. I built my own IRA Mutual Fund portfolio with money from a rollover from my company 401k about 3 years ago. I did go a little heavier into stocks than is recommended for someone my age. I figured since I am getting a pension as well, I could afford a little risk. I've had a 27% gain in those 3 years. Not sure how that compares to the overall market, but I'm pleased with it. For me diversification is the way to go.

If you're American and have Stumblebiscuit's investment philosophy, I highly recommend:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/

Well, just to be on the safe side I moved all my retirement funds from stocks into bonds tonight (left 10% in Contrafund and 5% in a Lazard Emerging Markets fund). 

If the market tanks but interest rates stay very low then Bond funds work well. I like Ginnie Mae funds and have some money in Fido's Ginnie Mae fund but Vanguard has a god one too.

Yes, if you are a long haul investor (10+ years) saving for your retirement there is hardly anything that will beat a diversified mix of Vanguard funds (extremely low expenses) & that has been shown time & time again. Men particularly feel that we can "beat the index" & almost never do over the long haul.

I would make an exception for a few stocks of our biggest international corporations bought when they are down (KO, MCD, CVX) & Berkshire Hathaway. 

Yes, if you are a long haul investor (10+ years) saving for your retirement there is hardly anything that will beat a diversified mix of Vanguard funds (extremely low expenses) & that has been shown time & time again. Men particularly feel that we can "beat the index" & almost never do over the long haul.

I would make an exception for a few stocks of our biggest international corporations bought when they are down (KO, MCD, CVX) & Berkshire Hathaway. 

Diversification = cheering the winner of the Melbourne cup when you've backed all 22 runners. Where's the fun?

"beat the index" - well statistically you are indeed correct. Trading is about as hard a thing as you can do. A few mistakes here and there tend to wipe out all the good work.

I find that the biggest difference between my personal trading and taking a diversified approach would be in the good years i can exceed index returns by 100-200%.

Diversification is fine if you are seeking mediocirty and/or trying to reduce stock specific risk. :hi:

It won't save you when the shit hits the fan. =@

• 1 month later...

After getting badly burned in the stock market of the dot com era, decided to get into property. This was very successful for a number of years, but the asset values are now about 50% of where they were 3 years ago, so probably worth about what I paid for them. The benefit is the cash flow. While property prices have gone up and down, rentals have remained consistent and the portfolio gives an annual return of 4%.

Having made a lot of mistakes in this market (and hopefully learned something), this is where I'll stay.

If anyone is planning to go into investment property for the first time the 3 tips I would give are:

1) Buy apartments, not houses. Houses need maintenance outside as well as inside and your costs will be higher.

2) If possible, buy in upmarket locations. You will get much better tenants and rent paid on time.

3) Avoid bad areas, you may get undesirables in your property and the asset will be worthless.

Sorry, just realised this thread is for stock quotes, mods, feel free to remove the post if anyone complains

• Upvote 1

Apple fell 18%

Put your seat belts on folks. More to come I am sure.

From what I see there is a youth movement afoot to put Apple in its place and embrace other products. Apple is increasingly becoming uncool. This is normal I suppose and probably a good thing. Natural market order kinda thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice $40 bounce since the results for apple. Keep up the good work lads.

I have a vested interest in us markets after buying ivv (s & p 500 etf)... Still think there is some value in the us market and potential for aud/usd to retreat to 90c or lower in the medium term....

Couldn't resist buying Korea either.... Cheap cheap

Sell FB ..... they aren't growing, and all their customers are going away.

The groups of new people they ARE getting  come from 3rd-world crapholes where the people who view Facebook don't have any money to buy shit.

In the states and the UK, etc, they have peaked; young people are abandoning it in droves or just letting their account sit idle, and newer kids won't even join it now, who wants to be on something that your parents are on?  It's just not 'cool' anymore.  I read where they have still not perfected their site for cell phones while other social-networking sites are all over them with better Apps.

FB may get to 30  but IMO that will be their top and they will never get near their IPO price.

Nice $40 bounce since the results for apple. Keep up the good work lads.

Yups, and they went as low as 385 on 4/18 so they are up 60 from that day, just 2 weeks ago.

As usual I will prolly be wrong, but I have the feeling this will be one of those stratospheric jumps in APPL which we have seen in the past; look out 500 on its way to 600 by next earnings.

FB is getting better and better at making money off their customers, Think of them as a wannabe e-commerce site with a billion users.

I'm in at 19 and holding.

I think we have to wait until 1Q to see a big bounce from Apple, they have new products out in the fall, xmas is always big for them, etc..

Sell FB ..... they aren't growing, and all their customers are going away.

JD agree on 500+ target. Was trying to buy them here in oz but decided its all too hard.

FB.. Dumb business model... Of course they can make money but ipo numbers just reaped of stupidity.

Really like 552 listed in Hong Kong.... Been following them since about $4.80hkd...

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...
14 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Gamestop (ticker GME) is quite a story.     The Robin Hood Redditors are sticking it to the man.  But the price will obviously come back down and some will be stuck holding a bag of shit.

I hope more of this happens as technology allows for regular people to join forces to play the market. Hedge funds have stuck it to retail guys like that for decades.

• Like 1