We report, you decide

I think the days of having real 'decent' guys trying to work for a better country are long gone in the West. Just seems to be a 'gravy train' of professional politicians who have never worked in a real job - where something get made, times get hard and lean + there is also the risk of losing your job. These guys just seem to end up on various quango's.

The one thing I still don't understand about US politics is how the question of abortion seems to be held as being as important as the fiscal policies and defence. Quite the wierd one to me at least.

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I still don't understand about US politics is how the question of abortion seems to be held as being as important as the fiscal policies and defence. Quite the wierd one to me at least.

If you're European, or Ozzie, the key factor to understanding U.S. society is that we were originally founded by fundamentalist religous sects who rejected the tenents of the Enlightenment, landed here & started mini-theocracies who only banded loosely together, reluctantly, against a common enemy, the British Empire.

(Australia was founded at roughly the same time by roughly the same ethnic groups but without the religious commitments & I think one can see a general difference in cultural attitudes, although that may be a bit simplistic...)

Those conservative theologies still underpin this society: we have "vice squads" arresting gamblers, pot smokers, prostitutes, etc., under 21 one can't drink alcohol legally, this includes miltary veterans of which we have a lot since we have been in a state of almost constant warfare since the '80s....

The rightward swing has really accelerated since the late 70's until I barely recognize my own "free" country anymore. The recent Supreme Court rulings now allow corporations & billionaires to anonymously bribe.... excuse me, "donate" tens of millions of $$$ to their contractors.. er., candidates. After a religously conservative president led this country into the 2 longest wars in it's history & created the conditions by deregulating banking for our economic near-collapse, the country is poised to elect a religous cult member of the same party who was a banker to lead it..... unbelievable, you couldn't write a more fantastic scenario.

I agree with Archie in that most of the conservative politicians here have used social issues as a red herring to consolidate their voting blocs, but once elected they traditionally only pay lip service to their "commitments" (Reagan on abortion & prayer & various constitutional amendments he purported to support & abandoned once elected) & concentrate their energies on their corporate mandates. So lots of talk about God & abortion & gays & Mexicans, but the action is mostly focused on corporate subsidies & tax breaks. Not a single Republican candidate for the presidency would admit they believe in evolution. :db:

• Upvote 3

Just like every politician everywhere, they don't don't want to deal with REAL issues that are complex and overwhelm voters, so they create hot button issues...like abortion,immigration, insurance coverage of birth control, etc...

That and half our country is f'ing idiots.

Hefe, excellent summing up of the current sad state of affairs in the U.S.

Yeah Snick, unfortunately most people in the states are a buncha fucking mouth-breathing retards who wouldn't know what their own interests are if they bit them in ass, tragic really:(

Not making this shit up, real sign at a tea bagger ralley

just wondering how many of those guys go home at night and look at their heifer wives and dream of what it would be like to have a ladyboy actually make them into a real teabagger.... :geek:

no point on actually commenting on stupidity. clearly the gene for being a dumbass is immortally recessive and awaits only more inbreeding to end the world.

:drinks:

• Upvote 1

Funny that most of us consider the thais backwards and childlike for believing in ghosts, yet the folks that accept Fox Spews as the gospel are really no different. America has rapidly develved into a society where the "right"

cannot even whisper their support for Natural Selection and a novel written by anonymous hands 2,000 years ago carries more supposed validity than the best science our education/technology can offer.

You know I was thinking about JaiDee's most recent assertion on my long plane ride from Tokyo sitting in first class. You know its not like any of the legacy news networks would hvae a Democratic presidential spokesman/operative on one if ITS "news" shows who is on HOURS per week??

Although that old delusional fool Dan rather denies it, even another Democratic operative Chris Matthews admitted the liberal bias in the media the other day.

Poll after poll have, historically, shown news rooms across the country to vote Democrat. It aint even close.

There is very little "hard news" shows on anymore. Wih the advent of the cable news station and the 24 hour news cycle, these stations have to a) fill airtime and B) attract viewers. Well, some of them attempt to attract them.

The best poll I have seen recently was the one where they said that people who watch Fox anti-news are actually LESS educated and know LESS about world events than people who watch no news at all! Now that is some funny shit....just imagine if there was no Florida, no Arkansas, no Mississippi or Oklahoma, et al.....{oh, the joy of that thought is just too much to even comprehend}.....no trailer parks or toothless teabaggers or NRA asswipes......FOX would have NO viewers at all!

Photo attached......when even a 15-year old girl understands that Fox is a serious joke, why can't every adult?

post-107-0-69400400-1339581286_thumb.jpg

What alleged "news" is shown on TV in the U.S. is nothing more than corporate state propaganda.

It's just that the Fuax version is targeted to the toothless mouth-breather demographic, which are essentially the idjits living in the states mentioned by JaiDee.

• 3 months later...

Maybe there should be a thread about the upcoming election gaffs but the Mitt Romney's - "lets screw 47% of the population who don't pay tax" tagline must be one of the best in history. Will be interesting to see how Fox spin this out. Anyhow, just been reminding me of this clip from Naked Gun. Note the pictures on the wall in the Blue's Club and do you remember the last guy? (I assume everyone is trying to forget him). Perhaps Mitt will be drinking there now.

Maybe there should be a thread about the upcoming election gaffs but the Mitt Romney's - "lets screw 47% of the population who don't pay tax" tagline must be one of the best in history. Will be interesting to see how Fox spin this out. Anyhow, just been reminding me of this clip from Naked Gun. Note the pictures on the wall in the Blue's Club and do you remember the last guy? (I assume everyone is trying to forget him). Perhaps Mitt will be drinking there now.

[media=]

[/media]

Or here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P966D4rijJM

If you're European, or Ozzie, the key factor to understanding U.S. society is that we were originally founded by fundamentalist religous sects who rejected the tenents of the Enlightenment, landed here & started mini-theocracies who only banded loosely together, reluctantly, against a common enemy, the British Empire.

(Australia was founded at roughly the same time by roughly the same ethnic groups but without the religious commitments & I think one can see a general difference in cultural attitudes, although that may be a bit simplistic...)

Those conservative theologies still underpin this society: we have "vice squads" arresting gamblers, pot smokers, prostitutes, etc., under 21 one can't drink alcohol legally, this includes miltary veterans of which we have a lot since we have been in a state of almost constant warfare since the '80s....

The rightward swing has really accelerated since the late 70's until I barely recognize my own "free" country anymore. The recent Supreme Court rulings now allow corporations & billionaires to anonymously bribe.... excuse me, "donate" tens of millions of $$$ to their contractors.. er., candidates. After a religously conservative president led this country into the 2 longest wars in it's history & created the conditions by deregulating banking for our economic near-collapse, the country is poised to elect a religous cult member of the same party who was a banker to lead it..... unbelievable, you couldn't write a more fantastic scenario.

I agree with Archie in that most of the conservative politicians here have used social issues as a red herring to consolidate their voting blocs, but once elected they traditionally only pay lip service to their "commitments" (Reagan on abortion & prayer & various constitutional amendments he purported to support & abandoned once elected) & concentrate their energies on their corporate mandates. So lots of talk about God & abortion & gays & Mexicans, but the action is mostly focused on corporate subsidies & tax breaks. Not a single Republican candidate for the presidency would admit they believe in evolution. :db:

I hate it when people re-post the entire original post (in quotes) that they are replying to, but in this case I couldn't help myself.

Perhaps my favorite post of this past couple of months?

Couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo El Hefe!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping::hi: :hi: :hi:

That's why I breathed a real sigh of relief when Texas Governor Rick Perry dropped out of the race. He was "just like Bush, but without all that high-falutin' intellectual nonsense."

You mean the same guy who blamed Satan for all the problems in America?

http://tpmmuckraker....hurch_state.php

Sounds absolutely plausible to me! Put the blame for the horrible economy and the 2 wars started by the ex-governor from your own state on someone who doesn't even exist!