Endurance Help

Foggy

I hope someone can help with this.

Im doing a mountain bike race on the 6th May on Koh Samui and have been training very hard for this. I'd like to do the best I can and take this seriously. The heat and humidity here is high and draining me a lot.

The race will be about 2 hours long and I pre hydrate and carry 2 litres of electrolyte water during the race.

My question, Is there anything I can get in Thailand easily to help my preformance but not cheating. ??

Thank u for any help

Foggy

Attached is me after climbing to the highest spot in Samui... yeh mad I know but I love it :happy0148:

post-364-047277100 1335579737.jpg

:character00218: I pity the fool that race against you!

Being a bit of a biker myself, as you know brother, the first thing that comes to mind is those "Goo" packets. Jokes aside, they hit your system quickly and provide a real boost, especially for a short sprint like that where you're gonna be high on cadence.

I've been relatively surprised at the quality of bikes (road) and shops I've seen in BKK. May want to google a list of shops and call em up. Might be too late to have them imported...

Good luck, stallion! Pedal like the wind...

My question, Is there anything I can get in Thailand easily to help my preformance but not cheating. ??

A Stanley knife ?

I'm sure you know this already but you need to load up with a lot of carbs before , a lot more than you would take in a normal day because you are gonna burn up a lot of energy .

Take a big bowl of porridge with plenty of honey plus a few bananas in the morning .

Those energy bars are great too they will give you a quick boast , you can get them in every health or sports shop here not sure about Samui though .

Good luck my friend :character00274:

You’re a man after my own heart Foggy!

And maybe I haven’t got anything very much to tell you, but you may just glean something from this?

I’ve just come back from an intense two hour ride around my local mountain up here in Chiang Mai in the sweltering heat, which had actually been inspired by your post! And as I’m just getting back to training myself after what’s been nearly a two year layoff owing to an operation, I started to ponder on building my own stamina back up & what I’d be doing if I was a bit younger & working up to an endurance race such as yourself, as well as any advice that I may be able to impart to you, of course?

So what would I do to increase my fitness for race day & improve my stamina?

Well firstly, I’m no expert on ‘carb’ supplements, but I would say stick with what has worked for you already & DON’T make any radical changes! And as you’ll be needing ‘slow release’ rather than ‘quick release’, the pastes will work better than the gels, because the gels are more sugar based (refined carbs) & they contain electrolyte too... With regard to electrolyte drinks, get yourself a bottle with a straw attachment & sip the stuff slowly if you can, please, please, please don’t gulp it, that will render it useless!

You’ll get fit at what you do a lot of... Keep cycling, but for Christ sake have a couple of days lay off before the race!

Exercise, I’d concentrate on the core & lower back, superficially you look sickeningly, incredibly fit, but that doesn’t say anything about your inner strength, this is something that most neglect, work the inner adominus! If you’ve got the time when you’re at home try air cycling, lay on your back & cycle in the air, it’s brilliant! Do it in two minute bursts as fast as you can... Don’t stop until you want to puke!!! Do air scissors also. I’d be jogging too, thirty minute runs, bursting into roughly twenty second sprints at evenly paced intervals... It’s the sprints that will be pushing your fitness forward, again, as many as it takes to make you want to puke & you WILL be riding faster & for longer!!!

Stretch your hips!!! There’s a really good chance they’ll tighten up on you once you start really pushing yourself against some stiff opposition! Personally, I’ve got a really aggressive riding style where I use my arms a lot, please try to avoid doing that, it’ll go straight to your hips! On long rides I really pay for doing that!

Get into high carb foods for an energy boost on race day, Oatmeal, peanut butter, that sort of thing! Also tuna & salmon for inflammation & believe it or not... Plenty of caffeine just before you ride!

Hope that’s of some use?

By the way, over the years I had eight bikes stolen in England, yet I’ve owned my American ‘Challenger’ hybrid mountain bike for eight years now here in Thailand & it’s never been touched!... Unfuckin’ believable!

I’ve also been up to the highest point in Koh Samui too; I walked up years ago with a retired Aussie policeman, fitness nut, years ago when it was sludge & mud trails & I got what I believe to be a banded krait snake suck on my rucksack, the little bastard kept trying to bit my face & it was only about seven inches long. Anyway, I freaked & started screaming like a girl & literally ripped the fuckin’ bag off my back & it catapulted itself into the bush... I then thought, ‘Oh shit, not the fuckin’ bag gone & I’ve still got to get back down the other side yet, the Aussie was screaming at me that I was a C..T & it was pissing down with rain, it was awful & I was too terrified to retrieve the bag. The fuckin’ Aussie wouldn’t stop taking the piss out of me all the way back; I suppose he’d have just eaten the thing?

:hi:

• Upvote 2

I’ve also been up to the highest point in Koh Samui too; I walked up years ago with a retired Aussie policeman, fitness nut, years ago when it was sludge & mud trails & I got what I believe to be a banded krait snake suck on my rucksack, the little bastard kept trying to bit my face & it was only about seven inches long. Anyway, I freaked & started screaming like a girl & literally ripped the fuckin’ bag off my back & it catapulted itself into the bush... I then thought, ‘Oh shit, not the fuckin’ bag gone & I’ve still got to get back down the other side yet, the Aussie was screaming at me that I was a C..T & it was pissing down with rain, it was awful & I was too terrified to retrieve the bag. The fuckin’ Aussie wouldn’t stop taking the piss out of me all the way back; I suppose he’d have just eaten the thing?

:hi:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fugcink made my day!

Wish I had something constructive to offer Foggy. I know getting good rest before the exertion is probably important and I'm a world-class rester, if you need specific tips let me know.

Hi Lung

Great post and thank u for taking the time to write this as Im only to pleased to be a form of inspiration for anyone to get out riding as the post ride rewards are immense.

It also help's to compliment my second biggest passion in Thailand ( LB's) as they do seem to appreciate a tighter body as we all do too. :rolleye0012:

Thanks also for the tips as I have taken these on board too. I guess the reason no one has stole your bike is because they would have to ride it, and thats to much like hard work ?? :crazy:

Im looking to head up to Chiang Mai later this year with my bike to do Doi Inthanon and other rides, so a ride out in the day and a LB hunt at night would be my ideal break if your up for that ??

That last part of your post had me cracked up too... excellent :rofl:

Cheers Foggy

Guest Fiedollah

Foggy,

Just picture the smooth skin of the tight little Femboy mincing at the end of the race and them 2hrs you thought it took will be 20 minutes !

Sorr yno advice on Supps buddy but best of luck with the event and chok dee khrap on the day !

Fie dollah

Cheers Fiedollar thanks for the support

These 8 stone Thai racers at 20 years + of age are uncatchable on a bike but in high heels and lipstick a whole different kettle of fish and thank fully not so eager to get away :movethatass:

Attached is a photo of the track and the type of terrain the race is held on. There will be about 3/400 thais there as its a biggy on Samui and ME :crazy:

post-364-051446300 1335778250.jpg

Best wishes for the race Foggy! While I don't have suggestion for endurance, here's a link that shows a hydration system that doesn't require use of a bottle to drink. Giz Mag VeleauWhile the featured system is pretty expensive at eighty USD they have links to 2 others that look interesting and probably lower priced as well. Maybe not in time for this race, but future ones.

Hi Lung

Great post and thank u for taking the time to write this as Im only to pleased to be a form of inspiration for anyone to get out riding as the post ride rewards are immense.

It also help's to compliment my second biggest passion in Thailand ( LB's) as they do seem to appreciate a tighter body as we all do too. :rolleye0012:

Thanks also for the tips as I have taken these on board too. I guess the reason no one has stole your bike is because they would have to ride it, and thats to much like hard work ?? :crazy:

I'm looking to head up to Chiang Mai later this year with my bike to do Doi Inthanon and other rides, so a ride out in the day and a LB hunt at night would be my ideal break if your up for that ??

That last part of your post had me cracked up too... excellent :rofl:

Cheers Foggy

Yep, you're most certainly right there, if you keep yourself in shape the LB's will only ever love you all the more for it... And why the fuck that isn't just plain common sense for most BM's/FM's, beats the sheer Hell out of me???

And thanks very much for the invite Foggy! I'll respond 'in kind' by offering to help you out with accommodation etc, if you haven't already made arrangements, just PM me before you come up here!.. But I will warn you in advance that I'm a bit of a spent force nowdays, so nice relaxing 'fun rides' please... This is the old bloke's disclaimer for bad performance (I just hope it doesn't include the LB's too).

I actually live between Doi Inthanon & Doi Kham & the whole area has become a bit of a cyclist's mecca over the past few years & I hear loud & clear what you say about these Thai cyclists nowdays, Christ can they shift! I remember when it first started getting popular they were pretty lame, but obviously with the combination of the lower body strength & the lightweight top half they've come up to scratch really quickly. I used to love pissing past them in a rotten old pair of cut downs & a work T'shirt covered in paint while they were done up in all their 'Noddy outfits' looking like a bunch of synchronized muppets... But it don't happen any more, all I see's now is pebbles & dust! :notfair:

Oh, & I forgot, best of luck for the race!

Hi Rxpharm I really appreciate the support and link. A great idea but not some thing I'd would use as I prefere the 2 Ltr Camel back I have that also carries tools and puncture stuff. Cheers anyway :drinks:

Hi Lung I reckon some know but as we know staying in shape at this age ( Im 51 ) isnt easy and has to be life style and not a post new year resolution promise that fades after one workout. Also knowing that u can still get the Lb's anyway no matter how u look isnt an incentive to exersice either.

The Thai cycling scene on Samui has grown too with over 200 members here in the club and several bike shops too. ( one with high end stuff ) They all want to rip my legs off but only a few here can for now :laugh: , all good fun though.

Thanks also for the help with a hook up and trip to Chiang Mai I will definately be in touch soon on that one. You've really wet my appetite for the trip now as I know more people are up there cycling too.

Im not worried about the pace as the new trails and free (beers as a reward ) tour guide is more than enough to keep me happy. :drinks:

Thanks for the words of support guys, well Im back at mine now and have a second place trophy for my group and 2000 baht in prize money.

I'm very pleased as it's was a lot of effort and very hot.

Regarding the original question about 'endurance help' I mixed 2 liters of water with fruit juice to give me 50 gms of carbs per hour plus hyration. DID this work or was there more help ??

NOT SURE... as I posted a personal best for one lap and could it have been down to the big mouthfull of love juice that was delivered 2 days ago pre race by the pictured femboy ???

Are there any endurance or perk up advantages to doing this, I wonder. Or is that just wishful thinking.

1. Energy juice delivery Femboy

2. Me

3. The prize

post-364-0-68167800-1336308720_thumb.jpg

post-364-0-22998100-1336308894_thumb.jpg

post-364-0-42023300-1336308952_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1