Jump to content

17 Covid Cases In Banglamung


Recommended Posts

Banglamung District reported 17 Covid cases today.  Pattaya, Jomtien, and Naklua are all in the Banglamung District of Chonburi Province.

And in neighboring Rayong Province.....

Quote

A man who worked at a gambling den in Rayong died after testing positive for Covid-19, the Deputy Public Health Minister Satit Pituthecha announced this evening. The 45 year old man, who also had underlying conditions related to asthma and diabetes, became sick and died on the way to the hospital, according to Satit. 

This new info means I will be modifying my behavior as I wait and see how things play out in the next few weeks.  

Here in Pattaya have been treating Covid as if it is not a health risk. Yea, we must put on a mask before entering a 7/11 and I wear a mask on the baht bus unless all other passengers aren't.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not good for future travel. I really hope they don't decide to lock down in a knee-jerk reaction again. I think they've had more of Covid-19 than reported all along but when it becomes evident like this I worry they'll panic and close down.

On a "happier" note, we reached and passed the so called peak of second wave, health care managed albeit  challenged. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, seven said:

I think they've had more of Covid-19 than reported all along

Quite possible that more testing means more cases and the Samut Sakhon outbreak is a one off that won't be repeated with increased border control.

That said on a purely personal level I'd like to see a one month lockdown with all bars closed, restaurants take out only, a booze ban, and a curfew..  I'd prefer that swimming pools be limited to one person at a time but if closed I can live with it. This worked the first time from a public health perspective.  

I reckon I'd feel differently if I owned a bar or restaurant or if I needed to work in these places to pay the rent.   

If a lockdown is necessary better sooner than later.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

That said on a purely personal level I'd like to see a one month lockdown with all bars closed, restaurants take out only, a booze ban, and a curfew..  I'd prefer that swimming pools be limited to one person at a time but if closed I can live with it. The worked the first time from a public health perspective.  

i prefer to see people not starving to death....

Link to post
Share on other sites

"17 cases"?  Let that fucking sink in for a moment.

We have recently had 41,000 cases in one day in California, and over 250,000 new cases in one day nationwide. Friendly reminder (and its not a fucking hoax), over 330,000 Americans dead in USA in 11 months. 

The only reason anyone would starvefrom a lockdown is because stupid politicians refuse to raise funds (bonds or taxes) to feed people during this once in a 100 year pandemic.  

 

16 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

i prefer to see people not starving to death....

Oh, and the excess mortality tables are going to tell the tale on what really happenned in this pandemic.  PDogg:  You have it right...short term pain for long term gain is the wiser course.

Russian Excess Mortality Real Deal on Covid

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, excess mortality is probably the best measurement of virus deaths. I'd like to see accurate data on that regarding China.

The mask issue is devisive, among expats, even here in Mexico. Some foreigners demanding others wear a mask, others proclaiming "That's not freedom!"

I take my cue from the locals, if they are masked up, so am I. When I jog I wear it under my chin or around my wrist, so signal I'm in to compliance. We have a light lockdown here, from Dec 25 to Jan 10. Bars have to close at 7pm. One saving grace here is that bars and restaurants here are not air conditioned and use natural open ventilation. Not perfect but better than closed, heated buildings in many northern countries.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RandiUno2 said:

The only reason anyone would starvefrom a lockdown is because stupid politicians refuse to raise funds (bonds or taxes) to feed people during this once in a 100 year pandemic.  

So often we are presented with binary choice, public health or the economy.  But as you say, governments can support people during a lockdown.   

I think the new Pattaya regulations are a good idea.  If you are going to lockdown better sooner than later.

Currently there is no curfew in Pattaya but I would not be surprised if a 10 PM curfew is imposed since convenience  stores must close at 10.

Prayuth was in town today to be briefed about the situation.  Supposedly his chopper landed at Bali Hai Pier.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I think the new Pattaya regulations are a good idea.  If you are going to lockdown better sooner than later.

I disagree. Lockdowns do not work. Look at UK, France, Spain, Italy etc. 

France seems to have learned the lesson.

No new lockdown in France for now despite spike in virus cases

https://www.yahoo.com/news/frances-covid-19-cases-spike-184850869.html

 

PARIS (Reuters) -France will not enforce a new lockdown for the time being to curb the spread of the coronavirus but it could soon impose an earlier curfew in eastern areas of the country, the worst-hit by infections, the health minister said on Tuesday.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, seven said:

lockdown

It's difficult to have a lockdown discussion because everyone has a slightly different idea of exactly what a lockdown is.

Is Pattaya's current new regulations in which bars are closed, restaurants take out only, massage joints closed, but no curfew a lockdown?

Thailand's initial "lockdown" seemed to work.  For about six months there was virtually no new cases.   I know there was a lack of testing but if someone was sick with covid symptoms they would have been tested at a hospital.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, seven said:

I suppose we’re locked down although it’s recommendations

I'll be doing a voluntary lockdown.   I'll try to limit my exposure to risky situations. 

I think though within the context of Covid it seems that it's government restrictions and a loss of personal freedom that pisses people off.

Seems to me there are lots of government regulations such as paying taxes, military conscription, speed limits etc. for the greater good so i don't think it's unreasonable to lose a little freedom in a pandemic.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the context of lockdown really boils down to how it hurts the individual (outside of the obvious economic disadvantages). What I mean by that is; I would say I wouldn't be too far off the mark in saing a lockdown isn't too much of a hardship for any of us guys here in the LBR forum. We almost have a self imposed quarantine even at the best of times - none of us are anti-social, but are all happy in our own company on any given normal day. We don't really need social interaction, and I know I am not just speaking for myself when I say we are quite willing to avoid people on a daily basis.

Therefore, any enforced lockdowns or quarantines are almost irrelevant, we do that ourselves anyway. But there are people out there whi lockdowns affect very deeply. My older sister and her husband rely on being social animals, it is a major part of their livelihood. Not being able to freely see their daughters, grandchildren, family and friends for a prolonged period of time is extremely tough for them and I suspect many more are in the same boat. So when arguments and debates take place around the rights and wrongs of lockdowns, I certainly don't take sides, as I can understand all the various elements involved.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ciobha said:

We almost have a self imposed quarantine even at the best of times - none of us are anti-social, but are all happy in our own company on any given normal day. We don't really need social interaction, and I know I am not just speaking for myself when I say we are quite willing to avoid people on a daily basis.

You are spot on there Ciobha and you could quite easily be describing my life at the moment.  We are in our third lockdown now and to be honest except for the limits on distances we are allowed to travel, my lifestyle is otherwise not affected one bit really.  More than happy to wander the local beach and hills alone with my headphones and camera and I don’t seek out company unless it’s necessary, which at the moment is easy as nobody is really making any effort to catch up with others because of the possible consequence. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go along with that too. I'm quite ok on my own. When I was younger I liked to be with people, but as I got older and my friends got into couples, had children and moved away, I got used to being on my own. I like my own space and couldn't live with anyone now. 

People sometimes ask me if this covid self-isolation is getting to me and I say I'm used to being socially isolated and it doesn't bother me. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

 When I was younger I liked to be with people, but as I got older and my friends got into couples, had children and moved away, I got used to being on my own. I like my own space and couldn't live with anyone now. 

 

I am with you 100% there QG, you are almost describing my own life. I had many years of having to spend my free time at the pub or club, going on holiday with a group of guys and generally being part of a large circle. But as QG says, friends move on, get married etc., or move abroad for work, and all of a sudden the group of 12 dwindles down to a few, the few you least liked among the original group. And so one has to re-evaluate what one really wants in life.

For me, I stopped my nightlife habits back in 2008, until then, for almost 20 years, I was out on the town each and every Friday and Saturday, and most Sunday nights in life. But one night back in 2008, I realised that I didn't enjoy that lifestyle anymore, and made an immediate decision to suit myself, not go out because it was the done thing. I can say honestly that in those 12 years, outside of of weddings, special occasions etc., back home in Ireland I have been in a bar at most 20 times.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, so I corrupted you when I came to visit you and Jimslim in NI :biggrin:, especially liked that pub that you took me too as it was aptly named as the same Pub I had managed for 13 years, worked in for over 20 years and has been my local for over 40 years B)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ciobha said:

We don't really need social interaction, and I know I am not just speaking for myself when I say we are quite willing to avoid people on a daily basis.

Sure. I too live like you nowadays, but social interaction is not to dismiss, imo. I can't stand 80% of the people but I have to admit its very nice to socialise with some good ones, especially now during the pandemic. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ciobha said:

I think the context of lockdown really boils down to how it hurts the individual (outside of the obvious economic disadvantages). What I mean by that is; I would say I wouldn't be too far off the mark in saing a lockdown isn't too much of a hardship for any of us guys here in the LBR forum. We almost have a self imposed quarantine even at the best of times - none of us are anti-social, but are all happy in our own company on any given normal day. We don't really need social interaction, and I know I am not just speaking for myself when I say we are quite willing to avoid people on a daily basis.

Therefore, any enforced lockdowns or quarantines are almost irrelevant, we do that ourselves anyway. But there are people out there whi lockdowns affect very deeply. My older sister and her husband rely on being social animals, it is a major part of their livelihood. Not being able to freely see their daughters, grandchildren, family and friends for a prolonged period of time is extremely tough for them and I suspect many more are in the same boat. So when arguments and debates take place around the rights and wrongs of lockdowns, I certainly don't take sides, as I can understand all the various elements involved.

What a great post and you could not be more accurate as to How I view this whole situation also.  the replies you have had are all on the mark too. :drinks:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

well it's all right for you old boys.... but i'm a party animal ! ...... I'm missing my morlams..... mowlams? PD knows what i mean.

But besides that rubbish above i think that most of the expats here in jomtien, the retired ones, are quite content with things as they are with all this lockdown stuff.

However it is a very different story for such as Emmy and others, very different.

but a happy new year to all wherever you are.

Ciobha... it will be for us... no worries.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy New Year to you BBG, at least you have the warmth to keep you content - I am freezing my balls off here (although to be fair I live practically at the top of a mountain so it is cold all year round)

 

I think we will the EPL again this year mate, but will need to buck up our ideas on the last few matches!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In a reversal, it seems for now Pattaya restaurants can remain open and serve booze to people who are eating.  Must provide proper social distancing, close by 10PM, and customers must wear masks if not actually eating.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking to Sindy today, she seems to think the bars will open again on Monday.

One thing struck me though, she and the rest of the girls in the bar are scared, and I mean petrified of this virus. They seem to be of the opinion that if they get it, it is a death sentence!! I tried to re-assure her that given the young age and lack of any underlying health issues, they may get a little bit sick, but it is certainly not a death sentence. However best to be cautious anyway for the next few weeks, better not having it at all.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ciobha said:

One thing struck me though, she and the rest of the girls in the bar are scared, and I mean petrified of this virus.

Talked to a ladyman I like in Patts yesterday:

"Now Pattaya have covid . I scare." 

Authorities sure did a number on them. Nevermind barebacking and smoking ice. Covid will kill you!

She's by a long shot nowhere near Sindys status as an earner, so I send her money for food. She lost her room, no money for rent, and is now living with a bunch of them in a small room.

I was optimistic up until the fall, September, October but now, I don't know. What a nightmare this turned out to be. Even if we get the vaccine soon I'm starting to doubt we'll set foot in Los this year. Thank you Chy-na.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

So Thailand is trying to contain the second wave.  Last night the JB Bar somewhere in Jomtien was busted.  They were accused of being a bar masquerading as a restaurant.   Anyone know where JB Bar is located?

jb1.jpgjb2.jpg

9 hours ago, ciobha said:

However best to be cautious anyway for the next few weeks

 

8 hours ago, seven said:

"Now Pattaya have covid . I scare." 

 

Good for the general population to be cautious!   If a ladyboy who barebacks and drives without a helmet walks into the new Duke007 7/11 she is not putting any 7/11 customers at risk.   But if that same ladyboy has Covid she is putting innocent third parties at risk.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...