Things I Love About Thailand

ArchieBunker

Now I know we tend to complain about things sometimes and we often do not stop and smell the roses enough.  But i am talking about little things that bring us pleasure (no not necessarily the carnal kind) that we might take for granted.  Heres my point and heres something I love about thailand.  Feel free to add your own.

just came back from a solo lunch today.  it was in a non descript food court in a building not 5 minutes walk from my humble abode.  Actually the food court is quite outdated and many stalls are closed but I hope they dont close the place because the food is really good.  Anywhoo, I ended up with a bowl of noodles with some slices of pork, pork filled wontons (soft), some greens with a nice broth.  Added sme chili flakes for a bit of a bite, well it was rather tame but I dont enjoy it if its Thai like hot.  I washed it down with an inced lemon tea-not too sweet.  All this for a whopping 60 baht!!!  The quality was great, the portion was fine.  I am full.  Thats a nice, tasty lunch for less than $2!!!!  Thats outrageous but in a good way.  

Sated, I made my way back to my hovel and stopped at 7.  I bought two some hair gel, shaving cream and some chocolate for less than 150 and the shaving cream was expensive!!!  I walk into my CVS back home and buy some toilet items, and a bit of junk food and barely get back change from a $20!!!!

I could be wrong but Pattaya just seems so Farang centric I noticed the cheap thai eateries a lot less than I do in Bangers.

Anyway please feel free to add your lifes little pleasures........

• Upvote 3

Sounds a bit like the food hall in Tukcom also. What I like and it's quite an obvious thing, is the weather in the months October to March. Back home it's cold and dark, but in Los I just love that feeling of being able to throw on a pair of shorts and a top and slip my feet into a pair of flip flops and I am good to go for the day. A pint of cold beer while watching the sunset over Pratenmak Hill ain't so bad either.

I do like the fact that I only have to wear shorts right now when it was -1 F in Central Park about 36 hours ago.  BTW that was the first time since 1994 it was below zero F in Central Park.  But i do find the heat in Thailand a bit tiresome.  i actually dont mind when it gets dark early.  It isnt for that long since they changed the rules years ago.  It used to be the clocks were not changed back til the end of April is what I remember.

I REALLY enjoyed when it was nice and cool here in Bangers last week.  That was totally excellent!!!

The availability of cheap fantastic food 24/7 is really something to behold .

I just love taking a wander and eating when I'm hungry instead of set mealtimes , in Thailand it doesn't feel odd to have a bowl of noodles or chicken and rice at 4 AM .

My favourite tum yam gung at Pattaya Klang , washed down with a banana shake cheap as chips too .

post-104-0-95478500-1455630159_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I love waking up to warm weather 99% of the time.

I love having good food available 24/7

I love being able to stop working by living here

I love the lack of silly laws and restrictions

I love being able to travel easily and cheaply in an open top Jeep

I love being able to have sex past 40 with attractive people, and not 2 divorces, 4 kids and a resemblance to some obscure farmyard animal

I love ladyboys that are basically horny young men willing to smoke banana at the drop of a hat

I could go on, phew I need a sit down

• Upvote 3

Have to agree with the food, taste, availability and price - ranging from the street vendors, greasy spoon cafes to the high end.

The other thing I love about Thailand is to be able to get custom footwear or clothing done at a reasonable price. One of my legs is shorter by about 2 inches, so I have had special shoes made to compensate - the great thing is that they don't appear to have lifts on the bottom, and they cost a bit less than a regular pair of nice dress shoes. The other great thing is that they will replace worn heels/ and soles so no need to keep buying a brand new pair every couple of years. 

They also have side walk tailors who can repair nearly any kind of clothing problem for just a few baht - that's not possible in any developed countries, plus there are side walk shoe/leather repair guys as well. I have had my laptop case and suitcase repaired - stitched some broken seams for only a few baht.

• Upvote 2

The food and the tastes for sure...

But also the nose..............

The smells.......The olfactories..............

The USA is sanitized for the most part..........An Odor Free World............

Not so in Thailand.........

The smell of the Orient.....The food....Before and after the rain....The Tuk Tuk fumes....The people and their refuse.......

The smell of Asian sex...........

Smell triggers memories........

I long for those smells........................

• Upvote 1

Use to walk from my townhouse to the 7-11 every morning. Two 1.5 litres of water what maybe $1.00. Out front my favorite fruit stand. fresh Mango, Pineapple or Watermelon, spend 40 bhat for 2 bags. At the 7-11 I bought two yougurts 40 bhat. Back home grab a book, sit on the front porch and read, eat and listen to Pandora. Total cost of breakfast maybe $2.00. I dropped 35 pounds while I spent 100 days in Hua Hin. I now want to go back.

Much of what I enjoy and so appreciate is already catalogued, therefore I'll just add the fantastic quality and yet low cost laundry services. If only such a service was available in my neighbourhood for say twice or even three times the price I'd be a happy bunny.

Just before I head back to Blighty, I usually have the entire contents of my hold luggage washed, ironed and shrink wrapped. The tedious task of packing my suitcase is then bought to a speedy conclusion.

• Upvote 4

Much of what I enjoy and so appreciate is already catalogued, therefore I'll just add the fantastic quality and yet low cost laundry services. If only such a service was available in my neighbourhood for say twice or even three times the price I'd be a happy bunny.

Just before I head back to Blighty, I usually have the entire contents of my hold luggage washed, ironed and shrink wrapped. The tedious task of packing my suitcase is then bought to a speedy conclusion.

Totally agree mon ami,  I always use the Laundry shop a few doors up from the Chow Soy and feel  guilty when they give me the bill (so I  tip them every time), great service and my laundry is always perfectly washed, ironed and put in a shrink bag, I have nearly all my laundry done just before I fly home 

The Laundry shop also has a big picture of the Man United team and a scarf that I gave them hung on the wall, I shall be giving them an updated United poster and shirt next month to add to their collection  B)

• Upvote 1

The smell of the Orient.....The food....Before and after the rain....The Tuk Tuk fumes....The people and their refuse.......

Bringing wrapped laundry back home sure does make packing a helluva lot easier!

The laundry I used to use sprayed my clothes with an outstanding "freshener", not even sure what you call the product.

Back home, it could be months later that I'd put on one of those shirts and the aroma would just bring me back to the LOS.

My teerak does the laundry now.  Does anyone know the name of a product that can be used after ironing to give your clothes a great smell?

Btw, for the expats, there are still places on Soi Buakhao where you can pay 500 baht for 70 pieces, no ironing, but you don't have to do all 70 at once. You can do say 30 one time and 20 the next two times.  I've seen them in years past for a slow as 500 baht for 90 pieces on the other side of 3rd Road.

The food and the tastes for sure...

But also the nose..............

The smells.......The olfactories..............

The USA is sanitized for the most part..........An Odor Free World............

Not so in Thailand.........

Those smells can be rank but I know what you mean, sometimes, even the rank smells are something deemed a pleasure!!!

Bringing wrapped laundry back home sure does make packing a helluva lot easier!

The laundry I used to use sprayed my clothes with an outstanding "freshener", not even sure what you call the product.

Back home, it could be months later that I'd put on one of those shirts and the aroma would just bring me back to the LOS.

My teerak does the laundry now.  Does anyone know the name of a product that can be used after ironing to give your clothes a great smell?

Btw, for the expats, there are still places on Soi Buakhao where you can pay 500 baht for 70 pieces, no ironing, but you don't have to do all 70 at once. You can do say 30 one time and 20 the next two times.  I've seen them in years past for a slow as 500 baht for 90 pieces on the other side of 3rd Road.

Yeah i love that great smell PD.  I dont send out my regular laundry but I get my trousers cleaned.  Yeah, I wear a nice pair of trousers when I fly over.  It used to be mandatory to get into first or biz class but  its not required anymmore.  Although its not required I still wear a decent pair of pants when I pass travel anyway.  Its been a nearly 30 year habit....

Those smells can be rank but I know what you mean, sometimes, even the rank smells are something deemed a pleasure!!!

They truly ain't all like roses Arch...But they do activate the little gray cells....

I can remember as a kid driving to San Francisco and smelling Hills Bros freshly roasted coffee beans just as you exited the Bay Bridge....And the smell of onions dehydrating as we drove to Sacramento......

The smells of Thailand are just as unique....And at the oddest of times a smell will stir the memory......... 

The Laundry shop also has a big picture of the Man United team and a scarf that I gave them hung on the wall, I shall be giving them an updated United poster and shirt next month to add to their collection  B)

Watch they don't put the poster in the machine by mistake Louis Van Gaal's head will jam it up and wreck it .  :happy0148:  

I reckon it's the natural, girlfriend experience most of us get in Thailand that really attracts us.  I'm like a goofy kid when a sexy ladyboy wraps herself round me.  And I get as much of this lovin' as I want! 

Fucking priceless man.

I pity the poor fools who've never experienced it.

• Upvote 1

Here you go PD

post-273-0-22659400-1455838259_thumb.jpe

I dont want to get totally disgusting here but, hey, there has been the odd mention of pussy on here so here goes.

it usually takes 3,4 days sometimes a little more but the last week or so I become so regular and end up taking such joyful dumps. The last 10 days or so its been like freaking clockwork.  VERY little work required.  Point, sit, deposit, clean and go.  Oh yeah I forgot to mention, light a couple of matches!!!!

Now I do tend to eat better here in Thailand.  i think also i am better hydrated as well.  I am flying all the time when back in the USA and I NEVER drink enough water.  Its tough to do when you fly a lot.  It VERY easy to get dehydrated.  Usually the darler your piss, the more dehydrated you are.  Let me tell you its tough when you have a NY-DEN flight, a 3 1/2 hour sit in dry Denver (for which the crew does NOT get paid) and another 2 1/2 hour flight to the left coast.  you are in a very dry environment for almost 12 hours or so.

My dear old dad said that taking a nice easy shit was one of lifes great underrated pleasures.  Well my Dad was dear but, too bad, he never got to be old.  He dropped dead at only 59 one Christmas.  he had quite an interesting job/life......miss him everyday.  He got to travel a lot but never made it to Thailand.

• Upvote 2