Olympics

SiamSam

To all of my American friends I can't help but beam over the Canadian women hockey team's defeat over their US counterparts today. A nail biting victory that could have gone either way. Both teams played masterfully. I am not gloating just expressing pride and joy. Well…perhaps a little gloating. :-)  Tomorrow the Canadian and US men's hockey teams will hammer at each other in the semi-finals. God speed them both.

Overall the Russia games have been a success thus far. None of the worries we all had going into the games have transpired. God willing the games will conclude in the same fashion.

Hat's off to Norway, Germany, Netherlands, US and Russia for their outstanding performances during these games. For all their politics and yada, yada the Olympics still represent a forum to raise the human communal bar and connect us all. It evokes an international spirit of optimistic and positive oneness like nothing else we know of to date. 

Bravo to the event and all of the people who work so selflessly and exhaustively to make it happen. 

That game starts at midnight here in Thailand, Sam......I know a place down the road which shows the Olympics,  but they close at midnight; I may have to find a bar which stays open later, this is one of those ''can't miss'' games.

JD, if you go to www.msn.ca you should be able to webcast the game. Once you are on the home page of msn.ca there should be a light blue banner directly under the features photos/news items on the top of the first page. It says something like "watch the Canada/US men's hockey game via webcast. 

I havent watched ANY of these Olympics but I have been off and I did turn on some of the hockey game yesterday.  We (the USA) choked, no doubt about it.  You CANNOT blow a 2 goals lead with less than 4 minutes to go.  Having said that, the officiating in the OT was an utter joke.  The USA gets a power player early on as a Canadian checked (cross checked in the chest actually) a Yank in front of goal.  note checking is NOT allowed in the womens game.  The refs call an incredibly cheap ass penalty not 5 seconds later to even thigns up.  Ironicall, the game ends when an a Canadian pwer play 4 on 3....wtf!!!

But you MUST hold a two goal lead.......

Being in Pattaya the Olympics are pretty much a non event for me. Haven't even checked Sophon cable to see if any is being shown. I did pass a Norwegian bar in Jomtien that was packed with guys all staring at the TV.  I would be glued to the tube if I was home. But I'm not home so it's like it didn't happen.       

The soiboy has skied forever, so that is what I focused my attention on; well, as best I could given NBC's crap-ass coverage.  US veterans Bode Miller and Julia Mancuso won bronze medals in Super-G and Super Combined, respectively.  Ted Ligety won the gold medal in Giant Slalom, the discipline he has dominated for the past few seasons.  And 18-year-old slalom phenom Mikaela Shiffrin won the gold medal in that event.  So a pretty good games for the US Alpine team.

Oh, and just to make sure I'm not gay I watched a lot of figure skating.  I would bang any of the women figure skaters in a heartbeat, but none of the men skaters did anything for me no matter how much they minced about on the ice, and boy did some of them ever mince!  Whew!  Am I relieved!