The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

It's explained here Willie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lancashire/plain/A1066484

The 'Wales'

Wales has, for decades, been used in the UK as a standard of measurement, not just of land mass but also of population, annual rain fall, tourist numbers and exports. Every large country's size was measured in 'Wales'es. Popular media, like radio and television have used the 'Wales', mainly in news reports.

The Falklands have been invaded! These disputed islands, half the size of Wales, have been sought after by the Argentine government for decades.
The Americans have invaded Vietnam. This country in south east Asia is 14 times the size of Wales.

Meteorologists have also used the Wales as a unit of measurement.

Today the islands of Hawaii have received more rain than falls on Wales in a year. Local streets became rivers. Residents were evacuated from their homes by boat.

Wales measures roughly 225km from north to south and between 60 and 160km from west to its east, where it has a border with England, making it the perfect size for comparing it to other nations. Its area is approximately 20,000km2.

The 'Wales' has also been used to measure much larger objects, like Near Earth Asteroids.

The 'Belgium'

After entering the European Union, British switched, on the whole, to using metric units of measurement.

Pounds → Kilograms Ounces → Grams Yards → Metres Inches → Centimetres WalesBelgium

The 'Belgium' is the European standard of measurement now. It has almost completely eliminated the usage of the 'Wales' in this respect. Belgium is about 1½ times the size of Wales, approximately 30,000 km2.

The 'Belgium' first started to be used in the early 1990s, as the British public realised there was a whole European market available to them, with the UK taking its place in the newly renamed EU.

Since introduction the 'Belgium' has expanded into other areas of comparison. Common factors of countries to be compared using it are:

• Gross Domestic Products (GDPs)
  • Population sizes
  • CO2 emissions
  • Cars per capita
  • Land use
  • The public transport budget of Belgium with other countries
Other Countries

The American version of the 'Wales' is usually the 'Rhode Island', although, being a diverse people, they also use other land areas as a baseline for comparisons. These include:

• California
  • Florida
  • Long Island
  • New York
  • The Contiguous United States1
  • Manhattan Island (usually only to describe asteroids)
  • Texas

Some people say that there's a fine line between being diverse and being greedy.

To a lesser degree the 'Three Mile Island' is also used, but usually to compare radioactive fallout. The 1979 meltdown at the Three Mile Island (TMI) nuclear plant was the closest that the US has come to a nuclear disaster.

The Canadians use many different parts of the world in their comparisons, instead of regularly using just one area. Parts of Canada itself used for comparisons include:

• Prince Edward Island [PEI] - a province
  • New Brunswick - a province
  • Nova Scotia - a province
  • Baffin Island - an island, part of Nunavut, a territory
  • Manitoulin Island - the world's largest lake island, part of the province of Ontario
  • The Queen Charlotte Islands - an archipelago, part of the province of British Columbia
  • Newfoundland - the only island portion of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, a former independent British Colony

The Australians use the 'New South Wales' (NSW) and the 'Victoria'. However, the comparison is now how many times a country would fit into NSW or Victoria. For smaller descriptions, the 'Tasmania' is used. They also like to remind the British that Australia is 52 times the size of the UK. The response given is usually a reminder them that Australia is roughly 52 times drier.

• Upvote 1

Thanx BB-...every day is a schoolday......

I believe it is Manchester City.

Means "Pride in Battle". Saw it as a huge banner while watching the b***ards pip my beloved Liverpool to the Premiership title on Sunday.

bet you dont know what the three stars on the shirt are for ......

..dont bother googling...no fecker does....

I believe it is Manchester City.

Means "Pride in Battle". Saw it as a huge banner while watching the b***ards pip my beloved Liverpool to the Premiership title on Sunday.

Yes it is Manchester City. I was wanting for Mr. Duke to nail it but you beat him to the punch. 

• Upvote 1

Here's one for you guys, I just saw it a couple days ago;

Who was the only US president who was fluent in Mandarin?  His wife was as well, they used to talk in Mandarin when they wanted their private conversations to remain that way.

Hint; 20th century.

Who was the only US president who was fluent in Mandarin?  His wife was as well, they used to talk in Mandarin when they wanted their private conversations to remain that way.

Hint; 20th century.

I doubt it was W.

I'll take a guess and say FDR.

Hint; 20th century.

I'll guess JFK and Jackie.

Seems we're on the same wave length RX as I was thinking about JFK as my guess too and hey maybe that's the answer.

But the press always seemed to make such a big deal about Jackie speaking French that I figure if they could speak Mandarin that the press would have made a big deal out of that too.

But the press always seemed to make such a big deal about Jackie speaking French

They sure did! Her maiden name was Bouvier,  she learned French as a child.

JFK and FDR are not correct but both good choices, FDR also had an intelligent [but not nearly as good-looking] wife.

WTP, I asked a friend of mine who is an avid Man City fan, and he has no idea!!!!

So he texted a fellow Man City fan, someone who has followed the club for almost 50 years - and the reason he gave was, and I quote

"There is no direct relation to the 3 stars, at least none that can be rationally explained, it is probably just for decoration"!!!! :huh::sign0007:

So that is the best answer I can give to your question

WTP, I asked a friend of mine who is an avid Man City fan, and he has no idea!!!!

So he texted a fellow Man City fan, someone who has followed the club for almost 50 years - and the reason he gave was, and I quote

"There is no direct relation to the 3 stars, at least none that can be rationally explained, it is probably just for decoration"!!!! :huh::sign0007:

So that is the best answer I can give to your question

it was a rhetorical question anyway ciobha.....its a bit of a standing joke in Manchester.....all us Reds take the piss out of City fans for that one...a lot  football teams have those stars for trophies won.....world cups...championships....City have them for decoration....BY THE WAY.....City have now won the championship 4 times,the same amount of wins as Sheffield Wednesday,and one more than Huddersfield town........

ok-quickie...to all the non-brits on the board why are sheffield wednesday called that ,ie wednesday?

Well, Wilson was a professor & his wife took over his duties when he was ill, so that's my guess. Roosevelt would've been my 2nd choice.

''Herbert Hoover was the one United States President that spoke Mandarin Chinese fluently. Hoover learned Mandarin Chinese as a child from living in China.''

He later taught his wife.

This one is for Non-Yanks only, please;  we have had this answer drilled into our heads since the time we were 5 years old.

What were the names of the 3 ships Columbus took to discover the new world in 1492?

One was in the news recently because they think they may have found its remains.

Guest sustra

This one is for Non-Yanks only, please;  we have had this answer drilled into our heads since the time we were 5 years old.

What were the names of the 3 ships Columbus took to discover the new world in 1492?

One was in the news recently because they think they may have found its remains.

and non-italians too....also here we have been told the 3 names since we were 3 years old....

''Herbert Hoover was the one United States President that spoke Mandarin Chinese fluently. Hoover learned Mandarin Chinese as a child from living in China.''

He later taught his wife.

Herbert worked on the gold fields in Western Australia. They were tough, grim conditions with little in the way of comfort, it's impressive that he rose from there to the White House.