The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

On 9/29/2022 at 6:59 AM, Woodie said:

It was a plan devised after the 2nd World War to provide a wall against the naughty communists and keep them out of Western Europe

On 9/29/2022 at 7:31 AM, Soju said:

Damn...I thought he nailed it.  I'll take a stab at it. It was an economic plan to tie Western Europe the USA.  Is this right?

On 9/29/2022 at 8:11 AM, Quietguy said:

I think it was the US lending money to European countries for reconstruction after World War 2. But it came with strings.

After giving your answers more thought and doing some research, I'd like to amend my previous replies to your answers to my question about the Marshall Plan.

@Woodie - I would say your answer is about 50 percent correct.

@Soju - I still think your answer is incorrect, but I concede that your answer is a valid subject for debate, perhaps in the "politics and religion" section of LBR.

@Quietguy - I would say your answer is about 75 percent correct.

---

Thanks for your responses, gents.

Only three respondents so far? Any other BMs from the UK/Commonwealth and Europe care to take a stab at it?

11 hours ago, Sylvester said:

After giving your answers more thought and doing some research, I'd like to amend my previous replies to your answers to my question about the Marshall Plan.

@Woodie - I would say your answer is about 50 percent correct.

@Soju - I still think your answer is incorrect, but I concede that your answer is a valid subject for debate, perhaps in the "politics and religion" section of LBR.

@Quietguy - I would say your answer is about 75 percent correct.

---

Thanks for your responses, gents.

Only three respondents so far? Any other BMs from the UK/Commonwealth and Europe care to take a stab at it?

Oops. Posted the above before seeing @Pulci Gorgon 's response.

20 hours ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

Right: that was one of the main targets in the strategy of the plan. 

Also true. Lending money was a part of the plan. 

The Marshall plan was a plan imagined and launched by General Marshall who had studied communists warriors in main China during WWII. At the end of WWII, the "red facism" (communism) was perceived as a theat that could lead to the Soviet Union to take the control over Western Europe. General Marshall analysed that poverty and destroyed economy were the best conditions to destabilize Western Europe and help communists access the power. In order to struggle against poor economics and degraded social conditions, General Marshall set up a plan to boost economies and contribute to the reconstruction of destroyed countries. It consisted not only in lending money but mainly exporting industrial goods made in the USA to make European people build new cities and/or create new businesses. Manufactured gtoods were sold at credit and the US administration asked for guarantees in return. 

The Marshall plan was not restricted to Western Europe countries. It was open to Eastern Europe countries but the "big brother" (USSR) feared the USA to take the control on countries they had inaded and they were ruling in their own way.  In fact, administrations created to administer the Marshall plan had created many economic and financial data bases so that administrators of the Marshall plan could control a lot of businesses in the beneficiary countries. CIA agents had infiltrated many of the administrations, banks or large businesses. 

The Marshall plan also contributed to make the USA organize the first Vietnam war. They supplied weapons and the colonial power would use them against the Viet Minh. 

The plan had been so successful that many European nations caught up with the USA. Thanks to the plan many organization were created : the IMF, the OEEC, then OECD. Even the first European treaties OCSC then EEC had resulted from the Marshall plan.  

Great response, @Pulci Gorgon, though I do dispute some of your facts and assertions. And I also suspect you may have cheated. :acute::biggrin:

I'll post some links to what I think are good sources on the subject of The Marshall Plan and The Truman Doctrine in a bit.

On 9/30/2022 at 9:06 AM, Soju said:

I don't even get a score? Sure my grammar was subpar but I blame that on the alcohol.

You gave Woodie 50% ...well OK but no way should Quietguy get a 75%. He just copied what I said and spruced it up a bit. Also that was just a lucky guess by Pulci Gorgon.

I want a rematch...what's the next question?

Let me get back to you tomorrow. I’m about to get laid and need to tidy up my room, take a shower, and trim my pubes.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 9/30/2022 at 9:06 AM, Soju said:

I don't even get a score? Sure my grammar was subpar but I blame that on the alcohol.

You gave Woodie 50% ...well OK but no way should Quietguy get a 75%. He just copied what I said and spruced it up a bit. Also that was just a lucky guess by Pulci Gorgon.

I want a rematch...what's the next question?

@Soju - You said, "It was an economic plan to tie Western Europe the USA."

After careful consideration, I suppose I can say you were about 25 percent correct because you mentioned the economic relationship between Western Europe and the USA, but you said nothing about Soviet Communism and post-WW2 economic European reconstruction. Sorry, but @Woodie and @Quietguy deserved more credit. Their answers were more complete and included the most important objectives of the Marshall Plan.

--

In all seriousness, of course my percentage awards were subjective. The Marshal Plan, which was a critical component of The Truman Doctrine, was a complex US post-WW2 foreign policy. However, no respondents mentioned the direct grants of the Marshal Plan. The United States supplied approximately $13B (approximately $155B today) of its treasure to reconstruct the devastated European countries after WW2. The majority of this $13B were direct grants; a small percentage accounted for loans. Preventing the spread of Soviet Communism was a primary motive of the Marshal Plan, but many contend, and I agree, that the aid provided to Europe was humanitarian as well.

@Woodie and @Quietguy get gold stars. @Sojugets a silver star because he was drunk. @Pulci Gorgon gets a bronze star because he cheated. 

Sources:

Encyclopedia Britannica: The Marshal Plan

Khan Academy: The Truman Doctrine/Marshal Plann

• Haha 2
38 minutes ago, Sylvester said:

Lay off the booze this time @Soju. And no cheating @Pulci Gorgon.

This question is related to WW2. ‘Mericans (aka Yanks) aren’t permitted to participate for 24hours from the time of this post.

What was the “lend-lease” program/policy?

It was set up by the 'Mericans to submit their allies to long term repayments in return for supplying arms etc. Contributed to the massive industral growth in the US after the war which followed on into the 50's and 60's. There was more to it but it gets boring. As an aside, Henry Ford did well along with a lot other kingpins, even though Ford was a Hitler sympathiser.

14 minutes ago, Woodie said:

It was set up by the 'Mericans to submit their allies to long term repayments in return for supplying arms etc. Contributed to the massive industral growth in the US after the war which followed on into the 50's and 60's. There was more to it but it gets boring. As an aside, Henry Ford did well along with a lot other kingpins, even though Ford was a Hitler sympathiser.

Well, I suppose that’s one slanted way of looking at it, but I’m afraid your answer is completely incorrect. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Quietguy said:

The US provided military hardware to European countries to fight the Nazi/fascist Axis during WW2 to be paid for later.

I don't think so. The US provided weapons too organize the defense against communism. They also provided industrial goods (ie harveters) sold on credits. They didn't only help rebuild the economy, they created long term markets for their industries. 
They also provided training to educate people to productivity at work. 

All these helps lead to the economic growth in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s  also called "30 glorious" here (actually from 1945 to 1975). 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Quietguy said:

The US provided military hardware to European countries to fight the Nazi/fascist Axis during WW2 to be paid for later.

Bingo! Gold Star for @Quietguy

6 hours ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

I don't think so. The US provided weapons too organize the defense against communism. They also provided industrial goods (ie harveters) sold on credits. They didn't only help rebuild the economy, they created long term markets for their industries. 
They also provided training to educate people to productivity at work. 

All these helps lead to the economic growth in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s  also called "30 glorious" here (actually from 1945 to 1975). 

A jaded, and perhaps intoxicated answer, but essentially correct. Did you use Google Translate this time?

3 hours ago, Soju said:

The US provided a lot of military hardware to several European countries to fight the evil Nazi/fascist Axis during WW2 to that might be paid for later.

Now that's a Gold Star answer! Come on hurry up... forget your pubes for a moment. I nailed it right?

Nope. You plagiarized from @Quietguy who answered first, but your answer is more accurate. Only a Silver Star. 

• Like 1
On 10/3/2022 at 9:18 AM, Woodie said:

On 10/4/2022 at 7:18 AM, Woodie said:

According to You?

I am afraid you did not directly answer the question with specifics. Your answer did, however, include interesting and debatable assertions about US industrial growth in the USA during and after WW2.

Set-up for the next WW2 trivia question:

The majority of Americans were against US involvement in WW2 when it began. The massive casualties and horrors of WW1 were still fresh in their minds. Most Americans were isolationist and were against US involvement in foreign conflicts at the time. The Japanese attack on the bulk of the US pacific naval fleet at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii changed American public opinion overnight. The USA declared war on Japan after the the attack, which prompted Hitler to declare war on the USA.

Question:

Which famous British author was deployed by the British government to the USA to write propaganda to influence American public opinion to support military involvement against Nazi Germany?

Hint: A recent movie staring American actor Tom Hanks (Greyhound) was based on one of this author's novels.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Quietguy said:

I'm not good at authors. I did watch the Greyhound movie. I have it on dvd but won't cheat by looking at the cover.

I'll take a guess that it's Frederick Forsyth. 

Nice try, but incorrect.

1 hour ago, blind boy grunt said:

please don't check out pinknews either QG!

it was either Barbara Cartland or Tolkein, or someone else. Sorry i get a bit confused with genders in these Rom days...

‘‘Twas neither of the non-binary authors you mentioned, mate. But thanks for playing.

Hint #2:  This British author wrote the novel “The African Queen”, which was made into a movie of the same name, starring Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

ah, now i know who she is...  but will wait for QG. . QG, he/she was nothing to do with African Trannies by the way....

The politically correct way to write “he/she” is ‘s/he’. Putting ‘he’ before ‘she’ perpetuates patriarchy. I learnt this at university. Seriously.

• Haha 1