Fun quiz for Yanks

JaiDee

I did it out of curiosity as an outsider and it put me all over the place. The 3 locations that matched most were

Miama

Tacoma (Washington State)

Honolulu

Guess I speak pan American English.  I wonder how other non Yanks would do.

By the way the most blue was Michigan state, so I'd have to bring a dictionary if I ever go there.

I did it out of curiosity as an outsider and it put me all over the place. The 3 locations that matched most were

Miama

Tacoma (Washington State)

Honolulu

Jeessh, you can't get much more far apart  than those, BB!

My favorite question was "what do you call that thing you used to drink water out of in the high school hallway"? My answer was, naturally, a ''bubbler''; and literally ONLY New England showed up shaded for that answer!   'Water fountain' was the most shaded answer.

One I didn't see; "what would you call a long sandwich, in a long bun, filled with cold cuts and veggies or steak and cheese"?

Obvious answer; a Grinder!   Also called a submarine sandwich, a hoagie, sub, etc.....  I remember seeing a pizza shop in the Boston area one time, and they had a NEON sign in the window [which means too late to fix it] which said "Pizza and Grindas", spelled just like that .....who the hell from outside that area would even know what that was??

Just did the quiz again and they put me just a little bit further west; Springfield, Worcester and still Providence; no more Boston and still about 75 miles from where I REALLY grew up.

By the way.....some of the questions change if you re-take it, just 3 or 4 of 'em..... the 2nd time I took it they indeed had the "Grinder" question, the first time they didn't.  And no question about the 'bubbler' or Water Fountain this time, so it seems everyone gets a different test.

I like it when they have questions where the answer is "I have no word for this."  One example was this;

What do you call the area of grass between the sidewalk and the road?

Also, I remember one time I was meeting a British friend for some food and told him "lets meet up for dinner", which to me is always the 3rd meal of the day;  he didn't know what I meant by that.   In the test, my answer for this was "they both mean the same."

What is the distinction between dinner and supper?

What is the distinction between dinner and supper?

When I was a kid, my family called it supper.

But then later in life, everyone switched to dinner.

I'd like to see "regional curses" in the quiz.

Kids in North Jersey were quite fond of the word "douchebag".

It cracked kids up from South Jersey because it was not a common term down there.

Dinner was always the same for my family and took place around 5pm........the word supper was interchangeable......as in, Mom at the front door trying to corral myself and my siblings with "Time for dinner/supper."  Lunch took place at noon and breakfast was in the morning, first meal of the day.

Another word on the quiz which has a distinct regional dialectic meaning is the word for a soft drink be it coke or sprite or fanta, etc........ in my part of the world it was always ''soda'', but go down south and it becomes ''pop'' and in other places it is known as tonic. Kinda cool seeing how different parts of the country use different words for the same things.

i've lived the last 30 years in southern california (not counting the 30 months in SE Asia), yet this quiz nails me to 3 places, all east of the mississippi. one of them within 60 miles of where i spent my first 20 years...

you can take the boy out of the country, but

don't call me late for supper.

:character00218:

of course i could probably retake it to say i spent my whole life in new hampshire, but jaidee made me promise not to cheat. :drinks:

• Upvote 1

I like it when they have questions where the answer is "I have no word for this."  One example was this;

What do you call the area of grass between the sidewalk and the road?

Out here we call that area of grass a beauty strip. I guess that must not be common throughout the country.