Bangkok Violence Escalating

pdogg

Yingluck is out, along with any member of her cabinet also involved in the transfer case (about 10 members).

Court will NOT decide how new PM is selected.

EC did NOT submit paperwork for July 20th election, so that is in limbo also.

Reds will rally on May 10th.

NACC is suppose do rule on rice case tomorrow, not sure what happens with that.

A Thai court has ruled that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra must step down over abuse of power charges.

The Constitutional Court ruled that Ms Yingluck acted illegally when she transferred her national security head.

The ruling follows months of political deadlock. Anti-government protesters have been trying to oust Ms Yingluck since November 2013.

The move is likely to trigger protests by supporters of the government, which remains very popular in rural areas.

Ms Yingluck had been accused of improperly transferring Thawil Pliensri, her national security chief appointed by the opposition-led administration, in 2011.

Appearing court on Tuesday, she had rejected the suggestion that her party had benefited from the move - but the court ruled against her.

"The prime minister's status has ended, Yingluck can no longer stay in her position acting as caretaker prime minister," a judge said in a statement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27292633

• Upvote 1

Head of the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) Chalerm Yoobamrung said he would use border police paratroopers to arrest all the 51 leaders of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

He said CAPO has sought warrants for the arrest of 51 PDRC leaders on insurrection charges from the Criminal Court today.

If the court endorses the arrest, he said he would seek cooperation from the Hua Hin-based border patrol police paratroopers to join the metropolitan police’s Arintarat anti terrorism crack force to carry out the arrest at once.

Chalerm also anticipated increasing violence after the PDRC guards assaulted many innocent people and thus created hatred among the people.

The CAPO chief also said the protest rally of the redshirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship would be peaceful as protesters are those who are demanding democracy and wanting to see election in the country.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-paratroopers-arrest-pdrc-leaders/

Probably true, I'm waiting for paccers to weigh in on the current state of Thailands democracy.

What democracy? When one side decides they don't like the way they are being governed & can get the Prime Minister removed from office, it doesn't sound very democratic to me. But having said that, with the gap between the Red Shirts & the Yellow Shirts being so wide I don't think Thailand is suited to democracy. They need a benevolent dictator in the mould of Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore. Saddam Hussein is another who was able to manage a divided country but he isn't an ideal model. And we know what happened to him.

The one person who does command the necessary respect for it to work is not able to take the job & those in line lack the respect to ever be able to take the role.

Expect plenty of ballot box rigging to ensure *they* get the result they want at the next election.

Here's a bit of gossip some may find interesting  -  Yingluck is not Thaksin's sister, she's his daughter.

Thaksin got some fellow student pregnant when he was studying, his family adopted the child. Ex-pats in Bangkok swear it's true, have any of our crowd on the ground heard similar?

Unfortunately I believe the Paccie deduction is close to the ground of Thailand's current reality. Thailand is a wonderful circus IMO (in all areas of reason and politics) and this is one of the reasons why I love and enjoy it. The western perceived irrational madness of it all is part of its' allure and magic. So the world and the peoples of Thailand have to take the good with the bad or surrender something vitally important to each of its own interests. I doubt any of us want to see that change happen too drastically, too fast. Much the same, same for the Thais I suspect, but perhaps I am wrong. 

Hmmmmm, a connudrum is what I think they call it.  

BBC World

Full Military Coup has been declared

Army to bring back "stability".

Tourists nothing to fear. Business & trade no change. Nothing to see here, move along

Fully supported by the US

All leaders of various parties to todays meetings have been detained by the military

Representatives to meeting 'taken away' by troopsRepresentatives to meeting 'taken away' by troops Representatives of five sides to the meeting held by Army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha at the Army Club were on detained, several TV channels reported live. They were taken on a military truck, the station reported.

After the talk failed at 4:20 pm, Prayuth ordered the break of the meeting and representatives of five side were taken away to the First Infantry Regiment, King’s Guards, the reports said.

The meeting mediated by Prayuth was attended by representatives of the red-shirt movement, the government, the Pheu Thai, the Democrat, the People's Democratic Reform Committee, the Senate and the Election Commission.

Only representatives of the Senate and the EC were not taken away in the military truck

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Representatives-to-meeting-taken-away-by-troops-30234303.html

What democracy? When one side decides they don't like the way they are being governed & can get the Prime Minister removed from office, it doesn't sound very democratic to me. But having said that, with the gap between the Red Shirts & the Yellow Shirts being so wide I don't think Thailand is suited to democracy.

Sad day in Thailand indeed.

Guest JustSumGai

Here's a bit of gossip some may find interesting  -  Yingluck is not Thaksin's sister, she's his daughter.

Thaksin got some fellow student pregnant when he was studying, his family adopted the child. Ex-pats in Bangkok swear it's true, have any of our crowd on the ground heard similar?

I was told this some 6 months ago by an older Thai friend who used to be upper management.  I was and AM skeptical. They're ready to believe ANYTHING that "proves" anyone with ANY connection to Thaksin is NO GOOD.  I mean really now, birth records and hospital records SHOULD show when and where she was born. How old were the parents at this time?  Of course they would say for money records can be doctored.  The whole bunch look sillier every year.

• Upvote 1