Led Zep

Hefe

Since I know there are a few other wrinkled old coots on here who enjoy the old rock & roll, & since Zep really transcends genres & generations to a some degree, like the Beatles... I'm going to report on the new Zep "Celebration Day" film.

The film played in a few theatres last week & I guess the dvd should be released soon, if it hasn't been already. It is a 2 hour live concert that they performed in the mid-90s, I believe it was their 3rd public reunion. The first 2 reunions apparently sucked (Live Aid & ?...) This concert is a gem, they were probably out to prove something & boy did they. I can understand now why Plant doesn't want to have a reunion tour since I can't see how they could be better than this performance. His voice is still all there, Page is still the master of theatrical blues rock & Jason Bonham did his dad proud. The revelation to me was the justified focus on John Paul Jones here, this guy is a tremendous musician, but when you share a concert stage next to Plant & Page it's obviously hard to get much notice. But he is the foundation, no mistake, I guess he & Page go way,way back to sessions in the mid 60s.

I saw them several times "back in the day" but lost interest right after their second album, but I always liked that they pushed the boundaries. (I remember Page would do an acoustic guitar instrumental at some of the early shows, heretical for most hard rockers.) The audio was pretty good as well, I think Page helped mix it (& usually these concert films get new overdubs for the wrong notes.) At the end the band looked like they really enjoyed it & each other.

Anyway, if you are a fan this is definitely worth catching.

post-230-0-05599300-1350944099_thumb.jpe

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the heads-up there, Hefe! I'm a huge Zep-head. Though not old enough to have seen them in their original incarnation (God rest Bonzo's soul), I actually worked on their last reunion (Page & Plant's Walking into Clarksdale) -- seeing them perform Madison Square Garden was the thrill of a lifetime.

I've also got a pretty cool story about meeting them. Worth telling over a beer, if anyone's interested... :party0030:

If you guys are at GOTC let's have that beer :drinks: I bet there are a lot of interesting LZ stories, like the one where they almost burned down the Royal Orleans hotel (New Orleans) & trannies ran out of the rooms with them when the fire & police showed up.... :rolleye0012:

I was with a cute tranny in Nawlins in the late 80s & she swore she knew sisters the band had slept with, that's way before I heard of the hotel fire episode.

Oops, Edit - because I just noticed in my original post I said the concert was in the 90s when it was actually 2007

I grew up in the American Midwest, where Led Zeppelin was huge (still are, really). I was a wee lad in the sixth grade when Bonham died and the band broke up. Having older brothers and sisters, I was quite familiar with their music though, not to mention the other biggies of the 60s and 70s -- The Rolling Stones, The Who, Queen, Aerosmith, etc., and lesser knowns, The Zombies, the Guess Who and so forth. The Beatles goes without saying, of course.

So naturally I'm a Led Zep fan (among many others, and among many other musicians and types of music that I'm a fan of). Their early blues-derived/influenced stuff is awesome (in the modern sense of the vernacular) and their later, proto-heavy metal and experimental stuff tinges on brilliant.

Having said that, I don't ever need to or want to hear fucking Stairway to Heaven ever again. Fuck, by the time I got out of high school I was so sick of that song. That and Lynard Skynard's Freebird. Don't want to hear 'em ever again. 10,000 times is enough for this lifetime.

And here's a story not worth a beer, so I'll just tell it: :drinks:

Incidentally, what was that awful band Page was in with Paul Rodgers in the mid 1980's? *pauses for a moment to Google* Ah yes, The (no-so) Firm. When they played my home city the father of a friend of mine was an executive at the venue where they played. The company also had a suite in the same hotel where the band was staying.

A group of us was on the way up to our friend's Dad's suite for an after-show party when the elevator stopped on the mezzanine and this short little guy with curly hair down to ass gets on and keys in a suite. My friends and I are looking at each other and whispering "that's fucking Jimmy Page!" "No it isn't!" "Yes it is!"

Finally as he steps off into his suite I ask him politely if he's who I think he is. He smiles, replies in the affirmative, and then the doors shut. Needless to say, we made a splash when we got to the next floor and our our own party suite; there was much talk of going down one floor and inviting Mr. Page up to join us, but of course, with keyed suites, there was no way to do that. I suppose we could have called down to reception and see if they would put us through, or bribed the security guys, but we were kids; didn't think of things like that.

Thanks for the heads up on the film, Hefe ...

I was an aspiring Drummer at the time and John Bonham was a major influence on my path.

I love the story that I was recently reminded of about how sometime in the early days they were all living in some big house or had convened there to record. They'd just come into their first big paydays and Bonzo was anxiously awaiting the arrival of his dream kit that he'd ordered. It arrived and, like the kid he was, and like a kid on Christmas day, he just started ripping open the boxes and setting up the kit right there at the entrance of the house, in the foyer.

Turned out to be one of those artistic happy accidents... He starts wailing away and the acoustics are like a cathedral in this open foyer, and the rest of the band is just lured to the alter of Bonzo, set up their rigs, and right then and there produce either The Ocean, or When the Levee Breaks, or one of those stanky stanky Bonham-licked tracks.

I have had the honor, privilege, and ecstasy of hearing several of the greatest percussionists of all time, live and in person. And none of them were better than John Bonham on wax. There's no such thing as "The Greatest Ever" when it comes to music. But John Bonham was the greatest ever.

And I also contend that Michael Lee does a better John Bonham than Jason Bonham does. And I know that Robert Plant agrees with me...

How it was recorded, the transcription and videos:

"Taken from this great book which I recommend: "When the Levee Breaks: The Making of Led Zeppelin IV by Andy Fyfe: "When the Levee Breaks" is a rewrite from 1928 blues song by Memphis Minnie 1897-1973. Minnie was born in Memphis, Tennessee and one of the few women blue artists of any era. "When the Levee Breaks" was conducive in bringing a new era of music, and Bonham's true legacy to the world. It was used at the earliest rap block parties when they wanted more power. The Beastie Boys used it in the opening track of Licensed to Ill "Rhymin' & Stealin'". The drum track and "Funky Drummer" by James Brown are two of the most sampled drum tracks. Jimmy Page said, "Nobody other than John Bonham could have created that sex groove".

How the legendary drum sound was recorded: According to producer Andy Johns, he and John Bonham set up a new drumset in the "Grange's Hallway, which double as the house's central stairwell, climbing three stories above their heads. Hanging two stereo mics above the kit, one about 10 feet from it, the other 20, John then ran the drums into two channels on the desk outside through an old echo unit." Apparently the bass drum was not mic'd. Johns compressed the sound even more and was so moved by the result that he ran in to the house shouting for Bonham to come listen quickly.

However, Paige did not remember it that way and that he rightly figured that if the microphones were pulled away from the drums, or amps, this would create a much fuller ambience capturing the true live sound of the drums. Basically the sound you hear is not just Bonham's drumming but the way the drums reacted to the acoustics of the room. Albeit a slight echo was put on the recording, what you hear is pretty much what was played."

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IXh074Zlr8[/media]

Now that I'm on a roll... :biggrin:

My favorite track that many people don't know: "Hey, hey what can I do" -- Never on an original LP (edit: I originally typed "LB" -- Freudian slip, to be sure), but a B-side to the Immigrant Song single.

If you ever hear it in Baby Boom or Famous: you're welcome!

[media=]

[/media]
  • Upvote 2

I love music but know almost nothing about the bands I listen to, unless it has been made into a major motion picture :blush:

But Zeppelin was the sound track to much of my misspent youth and still love 'em. :party0030: I remember the radio station I used to listen to back East many years ago had a 'bring out your Led hour'. I got all giddy recently when I found a station doing that same thing on my commute home from work. Preceded by the 6 O'clock Stoner...it makes the long crappy ride home better.

• 1 month later...

I must have missed this when I was on holiday .

I loved Led Zep (still do) though being a mod I couldn't admit it as they were considered so uncool , rockers/hippies etc .

So behind closed doors and pulled curtains the Zeppelin albums got a blast in my room when I was a kid .

I loved the mystique that surrounded the band , the album covers (Both Led Zep 4 and Houses of the Holy are shot in Ireland ) and of course the music , I still have every album in mint condition in my collection .

My favourite album has to be Physical Graffiti which I bought in the summer of 1983 , the track Down By The Seaside reminds me of that summer ............. My first girlfriend , my first kiss and my first feel of a tit .

Oh the memories :character0099:

Was much more of a Sabbath guy myself

Me too. But I didn't "get" Zep until much later. I think they were too intricate around the Physical Graffiti period to really grab my attention at that age, and the earlier stuff was sorta boring (ie: Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta My Love).

I still remember clearly when I "discovered" heavy metal, around the summer of 1975. I'd seen Alice Cooper on an episode of The Snoop Sisters with Helen Hayes, performing Sick Things from the Billion Dollar Babies album. (Snoop Sisters was briefly part of the revolving "NBC Mystery Movie" series of tv movies that also features Rock Hudson on MacMillan and Wife, Columbo, Dennis Weaver in McCloud, Hec Ramsey, etc.)

My young mind was fascinated by this new music, as I'd only been exposed to The Beatles and other "pop" acts up to that point. I got a copy of Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits and fell in love with it, became absolutely obsessed with Cooper and in particular Billion Dollar Babies and Love It To Death (still their two best albums IMHO).

I asked friends at school what else was great "heavy rock" like this, and was lent Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath) and Led Zep (Physical Graffiti). Sabbath immediately grabbed me - the iconic, evocative cover photo matched the searing music (Black Sabbath the title track in particular) and immediately captured my teenage imagination.

Physical Graffiti - not so much. It wasn't until the 90's that finally came to love PGraffiti and Houses of the Holy (their "prog" album). Much of the early stuff that got so much radio airplay still bores me to tears. Dazed and Confused? Bored and Disinterested. Whole Lotta Love? Whole Lotta Nothin'. Communication Breakdown? Don't even get me started. But some of the deeper album cuts (ie: Babe I'm Gonna Leave You) are great.

I wasn't prepared to give them enough attention at 14 to get into what they were doing, whereas Sabbath and Alice grabbed me from the word go.

I loved the mystique that surrounded the band , the album covers (Both Led Zep 4 and Houses of the Holy are shot in Ireland ) and of course the music , I still have every album in mint condition in my collection .

Smart man. I love the Houses of the Holy cover, and will probably frame and display the next mint copy I come across (if I'm lucky enough to find one affordably).

And if you have 1st issue UK copies in Mint/Mint (cover/vinyl) condition of Zep, Beatles, or Pink Floyd you're doing well. These are all great investments if you can find them at reasonable prices, as all are increasing in value every year and some are already in the stratosphere. Condition is EVERYTHING though, and the difference between a truly MINT 1st issue and a later reissue in VG+ condition can be as much as 90% or more.

Examples:

Led Zep 1st LP - UK 1st issue with red/maroon labels and turquoise sleeve lettering (as opposed to later orange lettering) - £500-750 (or more at auction)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon 1st UK pressing with solid light blue triangle label and all inserts - very few copies pressed with this 1st issue label - £250+

Most of the rest of these artists classic UK catalog are going for between £35-75 for 1st issue M/M copies if you can even find them.

Ok, sorry for the ramble....

post-75-0-88002000-1354151032_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-87546900-1354151036_thumb.jpg

Whole Lotta Love? Whole Lotta Nothin'.

WTF!! :shok:

I have had time to think about a suitably sarcastic response to your outrageous opinion on one of the great anthemic rock tracks of all time... but I ain't got nuttin'... :pardon:

It is after all "your opinion" & there is no accounting for taste.

I was an uncool lad growing up in the Antipodes when this monstrous sound attack blared out of my transistor radio back when it was first released & I must admit, it was more than a faint heart could deal with. To cap it off, the B side of the single (remember them?) was another frenetic OTT attack on the synapses, a track called Livin" Lovin' Maid. And if it wasn't Whole Lotta Love blasting me senseless, they (the all-knowing, all-cool DJs) played the other side.

But with familiarity came love for the magnificent booming opening guitar lines of Whole Lotta Love. They still stir me today. I rate the song as good as anything Led Zep played. Or play rather. I can't wait for the release of the doco on their comeback performance of a couple of years ago. And there is the promise of more concerts but I won't be seeing them for the $12 their tickets cost when they played my home town.

BTW DT, when China handed over the Olympic flame at the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics & the British put on their spectacular tribute to modern Britain, the highlight was the emergence of Jimmy Page rising up to the roof of a double decker London bus & it wasn't Stairway to Heaven he chose to play.

It was the greatest guitar riff he ever wrote, the entire stadium reverberated to the sound of Whole Lotta Love. It is worth checking it on Youtube if you didn't see it the first time. When it came on TV live here at home, I thought how utterly appropriate. I don't know if the Chinese knew what hit them but I certainly felt proud of Page, Zeppelin & the UK at that very moment.

• Upvote 1

It was the greatest guitar riff he ever wrote, the entire stadium reverberated to the sound of Whole Lotta Love.

Great comments Paccers, although I think there are plenty of Zep Heads that would take issue to this last assertion.

"Rock 'n' Roll" or "Kashmir" would easily get my vote if I were restricted to their catalog (and couldn't include, say "Iron Man" by Sabbath or "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks or any of a dozen other possible contenders).

There you go Deepthroat the Led Zep collection all in fine working order .

I can't find the live album - The Song Remains The Same , either I've misplaced it or more likely someone has nicked it from one of my house parties !

Check out In Through The Out Door still in the original brown paper novelty packaging , not sure if this was unique to the UK release only .

post-104-0-42735800-1354303214_thumb.jpg

Check out In Through The Out Door still in the original brown paper novelty packaging , not sure if this was unique to the UK release only .

Beautiful stuff Jim, keep them in poly bags with the vinyl and inner sleeve outside of the covers, this will preserve their condition. Just put the inner sleeve with vinyl BEHIND the album cover in a poly sleeve and store them standing on edge (like books on a shelf).

No, the brown bag was used for most of the worldwide issues; sometimes it's harder to find than the album though!

Thing to really look for is the set of 6 different covers. There were 6 subtly different cover photos of the bar scene, and you can see which you have by looking at the spine, they are numbered A-F. For a set of all 6 in M/M condition all with paper bag you'd be looking at £250+ for the set.

Individually they're only worth about £15 each with the bag. It's the earlier stuff up to Physical Graffiti that are really desired by the collectors.

Great comments Paccers, although I think there are plenty of Zep Heads that would take issue to this last assertion.

"Rock 'n' Roll" or "Kashmir" would easily get my vote if I were restricted to their catalog (and couldn't include, say "Iron Man" by Sabbath or "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks or any of a dozen other possible contenders).

You're very generous with your praise DT, thank you. And the same to you, I do enjoy those posts of yours where you wander off topic with some well made observations. I often find myself self-censoring because I can easily get too self indulgent with memories & opinions. And that opens one up to criticism from those who would deny us the right to write what we think. But I digress.

I don't defend my choice of Whole Lotta Love as the best thing Led Zep ever did. I actually like Rock'n'Roll better. I like the Immigrant Song better. I like Kashmir but would never say it had a better lead guitar break than WLL. So many of my favourite Led Zep songs sound flat when played from Youtube through my little desk top speakers as I have been discovering this morning. That is no way to introduce anyone to Led Zeppelin.

Back in the day I had a pair of Altec Model 19's set up in my lounge room. With 400W RMS per side going into them, the room could be made to move but virtually all my listening was with the volume control set to One on a scale that went to 20. It was the enormous power in reserve that allowed the full dynamic range to be achieved without the slightest hint of a speaker clipping from the overload. I finally blew out one of the horns & as it was going to cost more than I paid for the speakers in the first place, I sold them for what I paid for them.... some 35 years earlier.

Who said Hi Fi wasn't a good investment?

Anyway, back to Whole Lotta Love. The opening riff is as iconic to me as the opening notes to Beethoven's 5th. That may be stretching it a bit & absolute anathema to classical music purists but to my mind there is a valid comparison. I won't be around in 100 or 200 years when the pundits of the day sit around dissecting rock and roll but I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear how they regard Led Zeppelin. I suspect very well.

For anyone not familiar with Whole Lotta Love, I must point out that replaying the original again after so many years was a complete shock. I was so used to the pumped up loud version I had been exposed to so many times in my wayward youth that the soft opening notes of the original had me gasping with disbelief. The loud version was courtesy of a very good cover band I saw often in those days. Their guitarist was more than capable of doing justice to the original. A higher compliment I can't express. And late at night after numerous drinks, the entire venue was electrified as he broke into those very chords I am referring to.

(There are guitarists playing on Walking Street who are up to the job & some of them do an acceptable version but for me, nothing can replace those simple times back then. I still get a thrill to hear them though.)

An interesting little aside about that cover band - apart from an accomplished guitarist, the rest of the band were one step up the ladder from the usual cover band standard. They had a good lead singer who was quite the showman. Back then we (we being assorted mates who I almost never hear from these days) all thought he was a tosser of the worst kind. A show pony in a skin tight shirt with dyed blond hair who always singled out the best looking girl on the dance floor. The bastard!!

Anyway, fast forward 30 years or more & I was out one night when a friend introduced me to a famous businessman. I won't be specific but he's a leading property mogul with great wealth & a thorough gentleman to boot. We chatted & found we had been around town at the same time. He asked me about music venues I visited. We had both gone to the same places. We talked about bands & he knew all the bands I saw back then. But he knew them by name! Personally!

My spidey senses were tingling. How the hell did he know these people? He was holding something back but his grin was telling me more than he wanted to. I pressed on with my questions. Was he a roadie? A manager? Did he play in a band? OMG, fuck me, he revealed he was THAT LEAD SINGER! WTF! I don't think I'll ever get over the shock.

Now it is my turn to apologise for the ramble. Sorry.